ABW Ambassador
    Is this SE a relic? I used to use it all the time years ago but favor Google and MSN these days ... I guess others have done the same.

Despite top ranking keywords ... I get less than 1% of my traffic from them.

Anyone getting alot of traffic here?

Regards,
    Dave

Same here - I use mostly Google now. About the traffic also - more than 90% of my SE traffic comes from Google and Yahoo (same).

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Despite top ranking keywords ... I get less than 1% of my traffic from them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here too - I think even a full 1% would be optimistic. Off the top of my head, I can only remember seeing 2 or 3 visits in my logs in the past few months.

I used to use Alta Vista all the time because I knew it had the most updated listings. Then they changed something and the results it returned seemed to be useless. Why would they do this? How do they stay in business?

Just saw a story on the local news, they said All the Web may soon be more used than Google. All the Web claims to have more listings, but when checking on my own sites I can see they are not as up to date as Google. Things I have had listed for over a month in Google are not listed on All the Web. What good is more if it is not up to date?

Alta used to be King but while trying to do some research last night, never mind about the popups but everytime I'd get to halfway through the search results the page would refresh and I'd be back up the top!!!
    Not surprised they're not #1 anymore!

That's pretty sad, MJ.

Yup, AV used to be my favorite back in 1994-7 or so. For science related stuff it was always the best. I personally use google for just about everything, only going to ppc engines when I can't find something I'm looking to buy on google first.

Currently somewhere between 1.5-4% of my SE traffic comes from AltaVista, with about 46% from Google.

Hey kids remember this? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I recently used AV for the first time in about a year.

I was shocked to to see the total trash results and popups. Probably the most pitiful fall from grace that I have ever seen. I will be even more shocked if they are still around in 6 months.

I tried a search for one of my keywords on AV and got:

0 results

While on altheweb, Google and others thousands of results show up.

Need to say more on AV? Nada! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Jonny

The only time I use AV is on a metasearch engine like Vivismo - else it's strictly Google, Alltheweb and Wisenut. Maybe Teoma if I'm really desperate [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Actually that's a lie - I sometimes use the Babel tool on AV, that was the last time I had the misfortune to visit.

Alta who?
    I have paid for inclusion and wow they actually gave me two top 10 search placements with no traffic.
    Not worth the time or the money for me.

ABW Ambassador
    They are stronger in the UK percentage wise, but even with the recent daily indexing, AV are still poor.

They still count comment tags in their ranking, for christ's sake. Their algo is a mess; their attempts at introducing a link pop. factor has just meant all the rubbish that Google eradicate (the link farm links, guestbook links, all that kind of thing) appears high in the ranks at AV. And their choice of partner for paid inclusion leaves a lot to be desired. I know many SEOs who won't use AV paid inclusion because of the company that run it - which can't help.

Shame really, as that link Dynamoo posted brought back some memories.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread