Hi,
    members here know my opinion on popups. I read a lot about that in the last days and found a very interesting script which pops up a selfdestructive popup which closes after 1 minute ( time is programmable ). This would be a consumer friendly way to get acceptance for popups and alo to get attention to the popup.
    An example can be visited by my site http://www.portig.de http://www.portig.com http://www.sun-glass.de http://www.drjaycom.de

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Jonny

[ 06-19-2002: Message edited by: Jonny ]

What difference does it make if they self close?

Btw: I just stole your websites

Zade,
    I know and gave it to my copyright lawyer. You were there from 10.50 am to 11.35 and came directly from this board. You are watched. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Jonny

Jonny, you posted it here, so I am assuming its ok to use. And I did! I like it very much, I was using another for my newsletter and it had to many do this and do that to it. This is very simple.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

That's okay for the script, but not for my whole website as zade posted. That's matter of copyright. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jonny

Well you should ask the companies you are running the popups for, because they probably won't like it. I wouldn't pay for popups if they closed themselves and no one got too take any action on them.

qb,
    I use popups on my own risk. Nobody pays for it, and if someone want to see the pop again, he only must hit reload. I do not want to put pressure to my customers by bombing them with pops. It should be unobtrusive to them, and that is intended to make my site stickier. My feeling is anger if I come to a site, where pops open in the foreground and prevent me for accessing the site properly. I believe my customers which often spend 100 of $$ for buying wiht my sites do feel like me.

Jonny [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Johnny, I used just the script, check out my site and if you are worried about it, lmk and Ill remove it.
    123rewardme.com

Char,
    Is this how fast you really want it? By the time I've read it (and I read pretty quickly), it's gone - not enough time for me to even decide if I want to sign up!

I'd say extend it to 30 seconds, at least.

Hi, yeah 30 seconds? okay I did up it to 6, but thought it would benefit to go away fast.
    Ill put it to 30 and see what happens. (visitor wise)
    thanks!

Yeah, it's good to keep in mind that you need to give the viewer time to respond, especially if they have to fill out a form. Perhaps if it was just a banner or an ad it wouldn't have to be as long as 30 seconds. But in this case, it's a newsletter popup and it takes a little more thought.

Of course, it all depends on what your visitors think! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

rewardme and all others,
    go on using the script, it is okay.
    Jonny

Thanks Janiss & Jonny!

A popup that lives a full minute on my machine would be something to call Ripley about.

jaybat,
    that is not the point. The point is that my customers see that I will not aggressively put their attention to the popup and that they can forget about it because after a certain time it is gone if they are not interested in its content.
    Jonny

How can they forget about something that's right in front of them preventing them from doing what they came there to do (like maybe buying something)?
    They have to close it* or sit back and wait for it to go away - what they can't do is continue doing what they went there to do.

*I don't know anybody who doesn't use a popup killer of one sort or another - the only way to know how aggressive you are or aren't with popups would be to pay attention to the popup killer's feedback.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread