:eek: It only took them a few days to get it listed but they changed the description and couldnt even spell their words correctly. Does the description in dmoz propagate to other sites? I really really hope not ....

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "Does the description in dmoz propagate to other sites? I really really hope not ...."

Sorry, but YES. It WILL be all over the place!

I can always tell just which sites are using DMOZ-powered results when I do the link: on my DMOZ-listed site at Google, because the description is exactly the same for all of those links.

As for the meddling with your description/misspelling, you can put in an "Update URL" form at DMOZ but then you risk upsetting the apple cart...a meddlesome editor like that may decide that the best way to deal with the problem is to delete it!

I was afraid of that .. I guess its better to be listed with a typo then not listed at all.

Leader could you elaborate a little on the 'link:' comment. What happens when you do a link: at google? And how can you tell that dmoz is involved as a source?

The whole not upsetting the apple cart is always good advice depending on what's at stake.

On the other hand, if the category you are listed in is large then you could mention which category it is and not give yourself away. If you are lucky the editor is an ABW inhabitant and would look to see if they are advertising the fact that they are illiterate (or really busy) to the world.

If the category is small then hope that people are aware of DMOZ link description propogation and go on your merry way. There are more than a few categories that have been modified little in years. You might have gotten really, really lucky.

Hi
    Well, DMOZ did the same thing to me in Dec 2001 and I am still trying to get it changed. The one thing that I have done to promote a few of my keywords is to change the site description. This has helped.

I have sent around 20 requests to DMOZ and even put myself forward as an editor as there was not one for the group I was in but I got REJECTED.....oh the feeling....

Anyway, its nice to know its not just me. I was thinking it was something personal.

I have now given up with DMOZ and getting the wording changed.

regards John

I have had a number of pages listed in DMOZ for over 2 years - last month they changed most of my titles, some of them misspelled, when Google did their last update for their Top Directory, I noticed the new titles showed up - regular stuff came still OK.

18 mos. ago I sent in an update request - a change of URL on 5 of the pages - that was just done. Don't expect them to move quickly on a change or update!

I've seen requests/additions in certain categories that are more than two years old.. but my advice is just to correct the typo with the Update URL and explain that it's a typo correction. Keep the change simple.

DMOZ had introduced some new ways of getting though the backlog which should help.

Sal, if you PM me with the URL I can have a further look.

Thanks Dynamoo, you can find the listing at http://dmoz.org/Regional/North_Ameri...zabeth/Health/ (First listing "Cornell Clinicals").

I'm not too concerned about the typo anymore. Its not an affiliate site, just something I made for my dad's business. We don't expect much traffic anyways. If there's even a remote chance that the site can be delisted, then I won't rock the boat.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread