ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    In essence, which domain name would rank better on the search engines?
    Let's say someone searches for "automotive cars".
    Which domain would you rather have and why?
    www.automotive-cars.com
    www.automotivecars.net

Assuming that www.automotivecars.com was already taken.

I guess what I'm looking for is confirmation that keywords in domain name have a huge part in how you can rank. Is the hyphen more valuable, or is it a hinderence? Thoughts? Help please

I am not shure that it is. But I have two similar sites ( mirrorsites) one address included the term ...brand....com. I experienced a better ranking for that site for the searchterm "buy brand shoes".
    Jonny

ABW Ambassador
    I don't really think search engines care much if your domain is hyphenated or not.

Un-hyphenated domains seem to be more popular, snappy, easier to remember.

The only risk with buying the .net if the .com is already taken is that a propsect who has heard of your site visits your competitors site by mistake purely because he types the wrong URL.

I know it's very difficult but I would try to find a domain where you can buy both the .com and .net derivative to avoid being confused with another site.

I'll preface this by saying I'm not sure [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] but, automotivecars is not a recognisable word for search engines whereas automotive and cars are two words they should recognise so I'd opt for the latter.

ABW Ambassador
    I have read some experts opinions on this and found that some say it does not matter while others say it does matter. Personally I always use a hyphen unless the second word begins with an 's' and that s can pluralise the first word.

e.g. www.carshowroom.com is better than www.car-showroom as it has the keywords car and cars and I believe it would help searches involving the word cars.

A hyphen is a hinderance, but so is .net as a domain. Have you considered .biz or .us?

I'm having a battle with someone who essentially I wanted to annoy by registering their preferred name before they did, forcing them to use a hyphenated version. I can testify that they were really annoyed because the unhyphenated one was easier to remember. And now I have the #1 search result in Google over their #2. Gloat gloat.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread