Can anyone tell me the good and bad points of having (related) classified ads on a site.

Thank you in advance [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hi fish,

Classifieds do draw some traffic, and I've found that it's a handy opportunity to push eBay at the same time. I use the free hosted classifieds ads at free-cgi.com which aren't perfect but are really easy to set up.

I'm not posting here to market our services, just to add some perspective. We host over 23,000 classified ad and auction sites for others. These sites that we host combined have over 300,000 readers a month.

Since these visitors had to have come from the referring site, this implies that whatever percentage of the visitors that came to the sites decided to come by and check out the classifieds. While not empirical evidence, this does say to me that there are a lot of people interested in them.

I only run a few sites myself, and I have classifieds in them. I have always felt that it was a valuable added sevice for my readers. It could be that because our system creates a network, where all sites can share content, that gives sites both more content for the browsers to look through and a larger audience for their advertisers when they post an ad.

If you want more info, write to me or follow the link in my signature (I think it's there).

ABW Ambassador
    Brad,

I know their are a number of variables in this but do you have an idea of what the average click rate of classified ads would be?

Mike

I have not tracked the click rate. A site like wildfireclassifieds.com (which is basically a front for classifieds that we host) will have a far higher click rate than one like bumpstop.com (which has other features). Then there are others like vettenet.org that have many other things for users to do, and the classifieds are not promoted strongly and the site poorly laid out (and yes, I am the webmaster...)

All that said, I would never say that anyone will get rich adding classifieds to their site. Some of our affiliates should be able to afford new computers or a decent vacation every year, but in general we write modest checks. I see classifieds as an easy way to bring users back a little more often, and to build your site features up. Maybe it is more of a "why not" decision as opposed to a "must do".

Brad,

That's a good-looking site you've got there.. I'll have a closer look at it when I review my classified site.. I have a question though (maybe I'm just being thick):

I run a site about parrots with a classified section.. if I point my classifieds to ep.com (i.e. paid classifieds) would that be to a private classifieds section or the "Top | Merchandise | Pets | Birds" section? (For example)

Thanks Dynamoo and Brad [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Unfortunately both sites mentioned didn't have exactly what I was looking for [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] BUT, I did find http://www.aquaboards.com, which does have what I wanted. I got it all set up and you couldn't tell that you left my site, unless you look at the URL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'll keep a note of the other sites too, for future reference [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ my speeling is geeting wirse ] :rolleyes:

[ 06-29-2002: Message edited by: fish ]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread