ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    My agency (full-time job) is pitching an SEO package to a potential client. The client asked this:

"I would like to understand what the roi basis would be for such an endeaver. How many clickthroughs you would see and applying a conversion rate against it for sales."

How do you answer that question since your results will vary. Now, I could guess a click-through rate if I assumed he was the #1 ranking for all of phrases we targeted. Also, if it was PPC, then I could guess the clickthrough as well, but it's not.

Any thoughts?

ABW Ambassador
    Is the potential clients product/seervice price competitive?

Are you building the website or using the potential clients?

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Products are competitive, yes.

We would optimize the current site, not build a new one. We would do doorways if necessary.

ABW Ambassador
    >current site

"I would like to understand what the roi basis would be for such an endeaver. How many clickthroughs you would see and applying a conversion rate against it for sales."

So the client knows the answer based on the current site.

If you assume the use of targeted doorways the traffic will drive sales at the same rate and the targeting should increase the ROI

At least that sounds correct.
    In practice you'll have to tweak it as ya go.

ABW Ambassador
    If I had a definitive answer to this , Jim, I would tell you. But I don't.

You can make a good guess on the amount of clickthroughs, but you have to make some assumptions to start with. Aggregate the total number of searches done in the two main search engines - Google and MSN - for the client's main keywords. Then assume that the client will be at the bottom of the first page for each phrase.

You can get accurate-ish data on the % of clickthroughs to searches for these positions from log files for other clients who have held these positions for their keyphrases. This will give you the info you need for clickthroughs.

Take the client's current conversion ratio as the conversion ratio you will achieve and present this information as the worst case scenario for traffic/conversions.

Remember, you haven't included Yahoo, AOL, Lycos, AV, Dogpile, etc. in this information - just the two big search engines. I would make this very clear to the client, explaining that this is the absolute minimum he can expect (after two months or something - got to give Google time to update).

This is the sort of question I hate. I like to work with high product value clients, because then I can say - well, if you sell one great-big-machine-the-size-of-a-room, you will have paid for me for five years and I'm very confident of getting a top five ranking for 'great-huge-machine-the-size-of-a-room'. In fact, I'll guarantee it. That is usually enough !

Do not make any statements about ROI because you are taking on the straw man you cannot kill.

Whatever number you say, if the client doesn't make the number, it will be a huge thorn to overcome down the road.

There is NO way anyone can calculate a future ROI except in tested marketing. And even that can be off.

If it were me I would tell him the cost is an overhead factor and not a capital investment.

ABW Ambassador
    Ugh...Fred, I find myself in the bizarre position of agreeing with you. That's why you should give a figure that is far below what you are able to achieve. As I said, this is a question I hate dealing with.

It is an understandable question from the client's point of view; how much will I spend to achieve X number of sales.

To try to predict that figure accurately, considering all the variables, would be next to impossible in the short term. We can appreciate that but the client wants firm answers to fill in the gaps in HIS proposal.

I think you need to impress on the client that you will do everything possible to maximize his ROI but the results remain to be seen.

I propose a budget not to exceed a certain amount in a set period of time. Then review the figures and go from there.

It will be up to you to get the renewal.

That is how I would handle the situation

Doc

This prediction could possibly end in legal issues. Don't do it. What you can do is to give the figures of clients you already have or you can find on the web, and explain your client that you may be in a position to make it better or even though.
    Jonny

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread