Thanks for answering my other question. I was also wondering if the size of the specific site had any effect on page ranking. Would a site with more pages do better / add to credibility? I know that the more pages you have in search engines the better as far as the chances of people finding them. I just didn't know about page rank and/or link popularity.

I am just trying to get this all nailed down. This is going to be a working weekend...

Thanks in advance.

Core

ABW Ambassador
    To get a good understanding of PageRank, I suggest you read Chris Ridings' white paper here: http://www.goodlookingcooking.co.uk/PageRank.pdf

I would also say that rather than worrying about whether or not it is better to have lots of pages or only a few, you ensure that your site meets its original aim (whatever that was) and is optimized as best you can for the search engines. PageRank and link popularity are only one part of Google's algo - you need to have the other stuff covered too.

The one thing you can do, however, with larger sites(lots of pages) is distribute your PageRank to pages you want the search engines to recognise as most important and most relevant; so to answer your original question, it's probably better to have lots of pages. Really, though, I wouldn't worry about it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    @ Core--Still, that white paper is well worth reading.

It's not the easiest thing in the world to read through (especially if you hate math) but a "good-enough" understanding can help you improve your PR.

But there's also that thread in this forum where the one with the high Page Rank had the lower Results-page listing!! Without more than PR behind it, the site can still appear low in the listings.

In other words, don't forget the rest of the equation as you try to improve your PR...

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's not the easiest thing in the world to read through <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, if you think it's hard work now, you should have read it before Jill from HighRankings.com edited it. Inpenetrable to say the least.

Thank you MarkyMark and Leader for your SE insight. I am going to keep plucking away at pages and see what happens.

That was some good information. I just need to focus on the big picture.

Core

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread