ABW Ambassador
    I'm presently building a site live on a domain that was already listed by Google.

I know I should get the site finished and the make it live, but what the hell, I'd rather give Google a good long time to get crawling and indexing it as I build.

Thing is, wierd things have been happening that have confused me somewhat.

As I said, the domain was already listed, and had a PR of four or five. I start to build the site and keep checking the PR - it sit's at four.

I had a look at Google's cached version this morning and it's still caching the site as it was several weeks ago - I've built several pages since then and updated the home page a bunch of times.

Being the obsessive that I am and not knowing when the Googlebot's doing a crawl I've just checked the PR and the cached version again. PR has dropped to 3 and there appears to be no cached version at all?

I'm confused - any experts out there?

You now see what rank your site had 4 weeks ago, and in 4 weeks you see what rank your page had today.
    Jonny

ABW Ambassador
    :confused:

When your site is spidered by google bot it takes about 4 week for beeing indexed. As you are working online, the spider spidered the not ready site and indexed it. Each change in position etc. is a change spidered 4 weeks ago.
    Jonny

ABW Ambassador
    Googlebot spiders and reindexes a portion of the database every day. Odds changes in PR, number of backward links and cached pages have been happening more and more frequently for more and more sites during the period between dances. These are no real concern, as far as I can tell they don't impact current rankings to any significant degree.

They do point however to a far more frequent update cycle for more and more sites in Google and my guess (and I stress this is a guess) is that the Google engineers are playing around with various weighting factors during the month to ensure that 'fresher' content is more visible in the SERPs.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Briefly, and for the first time, I had a 7
    :cool: but then reality hit and I went back to a 6... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Thank you Mark,

I have been noticing that fact for a while. I have a site that gets reindexed two weeks earlier than the regular index. Sad but last week my pagerank on that site fell to zero so I know something is up. Two weeks from now will be the regular re-indexing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sad but last week my pagerank on that site fell to zero so I know something is up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heyder, don't fret too much about it. I had the same thing happen on my deep-linked product pages (go to 0) but then the next week they were up a notch from where they'd been previously (I think they'd been 1 and gone to 2)

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Smoke em if you got em<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe - what branch were you in?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread