ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Dear Valued ClubMac Affiliate Partner,

In order to ensure that you, our affiliate, are appropriately compensated for the promotion of our company and the products we sell, regardless of whether a sale is completed, we will be changing our current affiliate program from a commission-based structure to a Cost Per Click model (CPC).

The change affects your payment structure in this way:

* You will no longer be paid a percentage of a sale made
    * Instead, you will be paid for every click generated via our sku, text and banner links (regardless of whether an order is generated)
    * Your individual CPC rate will be dependent on your volume generated. We will be sending your CPC rate shortly.

** This new CPC model will be retroactive within the next few days. Please
    note: Click counts for each affiliate will be monitored. If an affiliate is found to abuse this new payment structure, they will be terminated from our affiliate program. For security purposes, all clicks will be audited.

We are pleased to offer you this equitable and lucrative payment structure. By rewarding our affiliates in such a manner, we hope to provide immediate financial gain and strengthen ties long-term.

Thank you for being a loyal ClubMac affiliate. We look forward to successfully continuing our affiliate partnership with you.

Best regards,

The ClubMac Affiliate Team

Is Google Adsense having this dramatic of an affect already?

Oh my!

ABW Ambassador
    Come to think ...there is one other company still on the CPC model at CJ. Is that right?

*****NOTICE OF SPECULATION*****

Could it be that CJ is noticing a reduction in impressions and traffic? This does seem like a good way to completely cut unworthy and undeserving software app publishers out of the picture.

Andy

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by kelly626:
    Come to think ...there is one other company still on the CPC model at CJ. Is that right?

Yep--It's Amazing-Bargains. But last I heard, they weren't accepting new affiliates.

quote:
    This does seem like a good way to completely cut unworthy and undeserving software app publishers out of the picture. ~Andy

Unless they just overwrite the aff code, or pop up before a click happens...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    MacMall and PCMall too. I never put them on my site because of all the bad reviews they have gotten here. Anybody have them and if so, are you converting with them? I'm sure Mike will chime in.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

ABW Ambassador
    Hmmmmmmm,

I'm thinking how would this play in with parasitic ties.

IE: If they click on my site yet a parasite diverts the user, this would be another click. I really don't know if these folks deal with parasites or not as I dont promote them but I would think they aren't or "wont be in the near future" if they are changing to this model. Why would any merchant want to pay for the same clicks twice?

===================================
    Child labor laws exist yet, parasite partnering merchants (PP Merchants) and the COC allow an adult affiliates income to be diverted into the pockets of parasites and consider it normal business!

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants and the COC directly supports what many consider unfair trade practices, identity theft and thievery!

I still think the answer to google/adsense should be a hybrid structure. Unless, of course, the per-click rate is substantially higher than the average for the g o o d old days.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

That's better for PCMall affiliates. All of transactions I generated for them in past had been reserved. Now, I can start earning dimes from them.

quote:
    Is Google Adsense having this dramatic of an affect already?

If it isn't, it will. I've added adsense to almost all of my pages, even the ones that coverted halfway decent. Google blew all of the networks away last month and hopefully will continue to. I wouldn't be surprised to see a come back of the CPC.

Better yet, I wouldn't be surprised to see something that Ecom Mike has been stating for a couple of years now, or was it Fred? A CPC plus a commission could lay ahead in the future for affiliate marketing

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

quote:
    A CPC plus a commission could lay ahead in the future for affiliate marketing

That's what Fred, The Professork, was asking for about the time ABW started!

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

LISTEN! CJ don't give no whistles no more! I can hear the music of another piper!

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I think Herb is right. Google is making such an impact that cpc will make a comeback. Of course the old cpc problems will have to be addressed. We also know that, except for deadbeat merchants that we get more per click with a commission structure than cpc. Also, this would make the parasite issue moot, since we can set it up that we know exactly how many clicks we get and if we are jipped its a clear case.

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar
    Cow gifts and collectibles

I gotta be blunt, PCmall, ClubMac and MacMall are all pretty sucky and I don't use them any more.

Still, it's gotta be better than the zero payout they make at the moment.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    quote:
    I'm thinking how would this play in with parasitic ties.

IE: If they click on my site yet a parasite diverts the user, this would be another click. I really don't know if these folks deal with parasites or not as I dont promote them but I would think they aren't or "wont be in the near future" if they are changing to this model. Why would any merchant want to pay for the same clicks twice?

Wishful thinking poon. Seems I've seen ClubMac on para's merchants lists. Some paras have special deals with some merchants already where they are getting paid cpc and cpa mix already. Merchants are already double and triple paying on para traffic, so double paying on a cpc???? When a merchant throughs in the 'audit' clause it seems they could be leaving themselves an out for not paying for duplicate clicks on the same visitor. The question would then be which click they would pay on? The first click thru or the last? Hmmmmm.

I dont' see this cutting out parasites at all myself, even if a trend started towards cpc again. I'm not even convinced it is a trend yet. CPC can also be a fraud nightmare for merchants. I think it does indicate a merchant who is more interest in using their affiliates for such purposes as branding vs acquisition. It will be interesting to see what ClubMac's cpc rate will be.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    ClubMac -PcMall/Macmall were all prominent on my computer sites for years...even before the BHO's. They sucked for conversions and reversed the big sales like clockwork.

IBM has the ethical right idea, knowing leakage occurs, rewarding ONLY pre-sell affiliates with both CPC and commissions. BHO's have built in click simulator cheat scripts on those re-directs. They'd just tripple dip the CPC merchnats.

CPC was probably offered up by ClubMac when they discovered it cost them more per click to do SEO/SEM marketing then thowing affiliates a few pennies. They know CPC will allow tripple dipping by the BHO's ...so they cut out the CPA portion to try and get some traction on recruiting fresh meat.

Jerk off your normal affiliate sales force for years and it will come back to haunt you expecially in the computer products verticle.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

quote:
    Could it be that CJ is noticing a reduction in impressions and traffic? This does seem like a good way to completely cut unworthy and undeserving software app publishers out of the picture

Datafeeds cause this too for the impression part .
    ---

Besides no chance in hell that I'd return back to CPC.

-NO WAR-

ABW Ambassador
    As you said once Mike, Mac shoppers are picky cheapskates. I had put ClubMac up for a substantial amount of time but not getting any sales, and had come to your conclusion. I don't want to be paid per click if my visitors aren't buying the crap.

I sure hope most merchants don't go back to CPC. Some affiliates will have much more targeted traffic than other affiliates for certain products, but they'll be paid the same per visitor. CPC is sorta like Communism in that respect.

If you put up a banner for fur coats on a Pokemon site, kids would click it out of bordom (or wondering which Pokemon lost its life to fur trappers).

Tricks for clicks v. Pay-for-Performance

Google Adsense brings renewed inspiration, but there's no way to insure Ads will be displayed on relevant pages as Adsense does. Alot of affiliates will once again pick whichever merchants are paying the most per click regardless of the relevance to their content.

Now that I think about it some more, the merchants who are stupid enough now to pay software app publishers a commission for direct URL type-in, SE, and newsletter traffic would still probably be stupid enough to pay for 2 clicks on CPC.

At least we wouldn't be getting cut out of the deal completely, though. Unless of course the merchant decides to just honor the last click...

Now that I think about it some more, I'm not sure how I feel about it...

Andy

Will this include the click of Product data feed also?

ABW Ambassador
    This just in:

quote:
    We understand that there were some orders that were reversed for September. We aplogize for the error on our end. We are working with Commission Junction in reversing those orders so we can accomodate you with your commissions for September. Once again we apologize for the inconvenience and we thank you for being a loyal affliate for MacMall.

Thanks
    MacMall

Working with CJ to reverse those orders? OK

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread