ABW Ambassador
    I went to google typed in a keyword and checked the top 20 sites and recorded their page rank- 1st # is what position they are in and 2nd # is their page rank

1) 5
    2) 4
    3) 4
    4) 4
    5) 5
    6) 5
    7) 4
    8) 5
    9) 5
    10) 5
    11) 5
    12) 5
    13) 5
    14) 5
    15) 6 <-----MY SITE
    16) 5
    17) 4
    18) 5
    19) 4
    20) 5

I wondering since i have the highest page rank, not sure what i did to get it that high and how come i'm not higher up?

ABW Ambassador
    Pagerank is only a part of the algorithm used in search engine algortithm. It is a hugely valuable one, but it is possible to get to the top with PR3 & 4 for many many search terms.

I have a new site go straight to number 3 at Google for a keyword that brought 100,000 competing sites. Many of these had higher PR. Why? Because my webpage was optimised better for the search terms in question.

As for why a site gets a high PR, not sure other than I know that the number of quality links pointing in is important. Also I know from my own sites that if you have a PR5 site and link to a new page in your site, that new page automatically gets a PR of 1 less i.e PR4. Usefull for getting lots of pages in your site a good starting PR.

I suspect that the Google toolbar also helps determine PR. I may be wrong but as my number of visitors increased, so did my PR. Perhaps Google toolbar is monitoring things like which pages are visited and how long people stay there. That would be a useful indicator of how good a page is. I may be totally wrong inall of this but Google must get something from that toolbar.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Perhaps Google toolbar is monitoring things like which pages are visited and how long people stay there. That would be a useful indicator of how good a page is. I may be totally wrong in all of this but Google must get something from that toolbar<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Google toolbar does do the first part of what you say and monitors people's surfing. The data isn't used in the algorithim though nor I suspect will it be. What you are talking about is essentially how Direct Hit worked and look what happened to that. Ditched in favour of Teoma.com (where, incidentally, I am #1 for search engine optimisation - sorry, couldn't resist).

As for all these PageRank questions - it is, as perfectG rightly points out, only one part of the algo and not even the biggest. On site relevancy counts for a lot at Google, as indeed, it does everywhere else. Get that right and you will rank well everywhere, not just at the Big G.

I'm trying to learn a little about search engine optimization. Can anyone briefly explain to me what PR is and how I can determine my site's PR?

Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Briefly: When Google sees a page that has lots of other sites linking to it, they decide that it must be a better-than-average page. In effect, more links = more brownie points. It's all done with mathematical formulas, of course, but the end result is that pages with strong incoming links are considered "more important". Google's formulas assign a number called Page Rank that accounts for that.

Page Rank has a hand-me-down aspect ...

... because a link FROM a page that lots of other sites have linked to carries more weight in Google's formulas. So, the more sites that link TO a certain page, the more value a link will have that comes FROM that page. One link from high PR page can add as much to your own Page Rank as a whole bunch of links from "little" pages.

Page Rank is assigned on a page-by-page basis, and flows through from there depending on who you ahve linked to. A link to any page in your site will have spillover benefits elsewhere in your site, so encourage other sites to link to whatever pages they deem relevant, don't just drum up links to your home page.

search engine optimisation

can I ask out of the 400 dailies for that term how many your #1 listing pulls.

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder,

You can ask, sure. Not going to tell you though. Teoma.com itself brings very little traffic, but the real benefit is at Ask.co.uk which is one of the top six or seven search engine referrers for UK sites. That listing is also a kudos thing - it reassures potential clients that I know what I'm doing, so it has value that way too. Still not going to give you numbers though.

ABW Ambassador
    Not sure how many visitors start there search at Teoma. I have a page ranked #1 there with 180 searches daily and I get ZERO visitors from Teoma. I have other pages in top 10 too but don't keep track of tehm until the "Google killer" as I have heard it called on TV starts to make an impact with joe public.

ABW Ambassador
    @thatscheap

got your pm, but the email address didn't work. Sent an email via/website. Did you get the info?

Yes MsMary, I did get your email. I sent a thank you email back to you. I guess you didn't get it. Anyway, thanks so much for your help.

ABW Ambassador
    great! just making sure or I would have resent it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I find that site very useful.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread