ABW Ambassador
    Would having sites listed in DMOZ and Google directory linking to mine, help me in the search engines. My sites aren't listed in those directories but i have exchanged some links with sites who are. I'm just wondering if this will help my placement next time google does its dance

ABW Ambassador
    This is two different issues, really.

Firstly, all links into your site from sites already in Google will help you rankings. So, yes, those links will help (but not because they are in Dmoz).

Secondly Dmoz is used by Google as a kind of 'truth verifier' for what that site is about. Getting into Dmoz improves ranking in Google more than any other link, especially if there is a strong tie in between your Dmoz description and the title tag of your home page.

As an example, my oldest ODP link has now been replicated in so many directories that there are now 106 identical copies of that ODP entry that come up in Google.

Deeplinks (i.e. links to specific content) work just as well as a link to the main URL, so if you have diverse content then submitted deeplinks is a good way to go. There's a caveat.. don't overdo it and make sure that the deeplinks are relevant. I have 5 links to dynamoo.com in the ODP, but actually none to the main URL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Oh yes, and another tip: there's a little known-category for sites actually
    using ODP data themselves, so it's possible to get listed there too just for having ODP data on your site.. and that too gets replicated, which will help your PR a little bit too.

ABW Ambassador
    Dynamoo - can you guide us in how to add ODP data to our sites?

There are a whole load of tools [URL=http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Searching/Directories/Open_Directory_Project/Use_of_ODP_Data/Upload_Tools/]here[ /URL] - most are paid-for tools, some have advertising, most require some sort of assembly [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Ummm but actually I just copy and paste the pages into my web editor and stick the ODP box at the bottom.. it's a lot easier if you're just maintaining a small directory (in this case, about parrots).

ABW Ambassador
    I'll see if it has any affect later this month, hopefully it has a good one

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread