Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    As I am new to affiliate marketing I have to ask this. What exactly does 1 $ represent? This is my second month and I am already at 3$ at CJ. I made about $85 last month and have only made $45 this month. I noticed on Monday that I went from 1$ to 3$.

Does each $ represent the 20th percentile? I can't believe I'd actually be in the 60th percentile, outperforming that many affiliates.

I'm just curious about this, so if anyone has any comments, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
    Robin

ABW Ambassador
    This thread discusses the bars http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...3&m=4726068544

I went from 2 bars to 4 last month. You have to realize that a lot of affiliates sign up and never make any money ever. So out performing 60% of affiliates isn't really that difficult.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the info cjshopping. I'm just surprised that it takes so little to be at that level. It's a somewhat unrealistic value if there are that many people earning $0. I guess that why they started charging people to keep their accounts open.

If I am already a 3$, how much does it take to make 4$? Do they do it by EPC or total amount of money?

My husband has been at 5$ forever, but I can't compare to him. He makes about 20x what I made at CJ.

ABW Ambassador
    What I think is happening is, alot of $0/low CJ earners are cancelling their accounts and signing up with Google Adsense. With fewer very low earners in the network it will make it harder to attain/sustain bars -----

It's all relative to what others are making with CJ ...I don't see the point in wasting bandwidth on such a trivial guage.

It's about as useful as the Estimated Payment feature during the first couple weeks of the month.

It appears that whatever features CJ can add to justify what it charges merchants is what we end up with.

When's the last time CJ sent e-mails asking what publishers thought or wanted? Have they ever taken a poll here at ABW? How many real publishers got to speak at CJU?

Publishers are left trying to figure out what the funny features mean they didn't ask for ...and some knowing that it adversely affects what merchants can pay them when CJ will soon have its hand out once again for more money for such.

With Arnold now Governor in California, who knows ...CJ may change the bars to little dumb-bells []----[]

Average about $500 pm over 3 months and you should have 5 according to my results.

quote:
    I guess that why they started charging people to keep their accounts open.

Who is charging who for what,when, and how much?

We talking about CJ?

"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."

CJ is now charging a fee to publishers who don't perform to remain in the network. The terms are really quite reasonable, though. To avoid paying, you just have to have one commission sale every 6 months, or something to that effect. That really isn't much to ask for. Do a search here at ABW and you'll find the thread on it with all the details.

Andy

Oddly enough ... at the rate our sales are falling (rapidly) ... we will soon not make any sales at all for CJ products we promote and I predict (at the rate we are pummeling) we will soon have no choice but to axe the few we still promote not to have to pay CJ.

It's very sad when you see increased traffic that is targeted and sales still pummel faster than the click rates increase in % with CJ (in our case anyway ... some here are seeing awesome results).

I truly feel sad for affiliates that don't get high traffic .. because if we can't convert with our high traffic volume .. something is seriously wrong. Low traffic sites are going to choke at this rate unless your using PPC (which can be another income killer).

Oddly enough .. we have been evaluating Adsense for last 2 days and we have already topped over what we made with CJ last month in 2 days trial time!

Now, what's wrong with this picture I ask????

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

I have to say cj is one of my worst networks right now. I can't seem to convert at all with cj, except for Dental plans and those merchants here on abw. otherwise is cj is dead.. Really wondering.... what is cj going to do next?

Jason
    xtremeshopping.org
    aim: ssn jason
    Xtreme's partnership information

"One thing life taught me: if you are interested, you never have to look for new interests. They come to you. When you are genuinely interested in one thing, it will always lead to something else" Eleanor Roosevelt

10. Full Member
    quote:
    Originally posted by Andy:
    CJ is now charging a fee to publishers who don't perform to remain in the network. The terms are really quite reasonable, though. To avoid paying, you just have to have one commission sale every 6 months, or something to that effect. That really isn't much to ask for. Do a search here at ABW and you'll find the thread on it with all the details.

Andy

Thanks Andy. That is all I needed to know. Yes, that seems reasonable. Didn't know about it though. Sure there is much more I will learn as I go.

"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."

quote:
    Originally posted by DesignerWiz.com
    Oddly enough .. we have been evaluating Adsense for last 2 days and we have already topped over what we made with CJ last month in 2 days trial time!

I wonder how long before the parasites drop the AdSense code down on their minimal sites, they may as well collect that income as well since they'll get most of the click-thru revenue as it makes its circular rounds right on back.

quote:
    Originally posted by captain p:
    Average about $500 pm over 3 months and you should have 5 according to my results.

I would say much higher than that but I don't want to find out.

Make your time

ABW Ambassador
    I have an average of just over $500 per month over the last 3 months (including October) and I am on 4 bars

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    $500/month to be 5$ seems kind of low. I'm guessing it is probably quite a bit higher than that.

I would think a lot of people can make $500/month therefore, that wouldn't put all of them in the top 20% of all affiliates.

Anyone want to comment on if they know the threshold for the 5$ mark? Someone who is at the 5$ mark would probably be the best to answer.

quote:
    Originally posted by REM:
    $500/month to be 5$ seems kind of low. I'm guessing it is probably quite a bit higher than that.

I would think a lot of people can make $500/month therefore, that wouldn't put all of them in the top 20% of all affiliates.

Anyone want to comment on if they know the threshold for the 5$ mark? Someone who is at the 5$ mark would probably be the best to answer.

Some of your comments suggest I was pulling this figure out of thin air, so I went back and calculated it! Turns out you are right, my average was just under $1,100 when I hit 5.

Sorry for the misinformation --- I will check my data before I guess at it in future.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Interesting.... I never knew what the numbers were on the publisher side. Think I assumed when I saw a 5 bar publisher they were making in the 5 - 10K range.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    4LowRates ::ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds :: Roadloans :: More Soon!

ABW Ambassador
    captain p,

I didn't think you were just pulling numbers out of the air (sorry if you thought I was insulting you). It just seemed low considering I made $100 and was a 3$.

Thanks for going back and checking though. $1000/month seems more reasonable.

Linda,
    I'm not sure if you mean 5k in sales or commissions, but just in case, I'm referring to commissions. Does anyone out there actually make 10k/month from CJ in commissions (other than ebates)? That would be awesome. My husband has done that with all his merchants together but not at CJ.

Robin...(YEa Cubs!!)

First of all I think it changes all the time depending on how the network is doing as a whole. As I recall I think I passed up the 4-bar mark at about $1,300.

Make your time

ABW Ambassador
    "I never knew what the numbers were on the publisher side. Think I assumed when I saw a 5 bar publisher they were making in the 5 - 10K range."

It's a feature you merchants pay for, for which you and your affiliates don't quite understand nor need.

What incentive to achieve more is it to tell a 1K/month publisher they are 5 bars?

What advantage is it to gain an insight into how many very low CJ income earners there must be making less than this poverty income level amount?

But there could be advantages to CJ having 10,000 publishers making 1k/month, than to have 1000 publishers making 10k/month. Ponder the reasons.

ABW Ambassador
    Kelly is right. There is really no need to have the $'s. It doesn't serve much purpose. What would be a great incentive on CJ's part, however, would be if they offered performance bonuses. Hence, the more money a publisher makes, the more money CJ makes. If I knew I might get a bonus from CJ, I might promote certain merchants even more.

Another idea, why don't they offer their top publishers a discount to CJU and then let them speak as to why they are so successful? Obviously, some people wouldn't share that info, but then again some might.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by jasonco12:
    otherwise is cj is dead..
    I make 60% of my affiliate earnings through CJ.

Consistency is the key to a winning season.

REM,
    This was my formula:
    1. Research and more research
    2. "Test site" and test campaign marketed thru PPC.
    3. Build site
    4. Design PPC campaign and implement on 1. AdWords, 2. Overture, 3. FindWhat
    5. Pursue reciprocal links to similar sites, and other natural SEO tweaking
    6. Tweak landing pages once per month and view results following month.
    7. Continue to expand and develop the site in any related areas that produce quality traffic.
    8. Once you reach a point of diminishing retuns on one site, move on to a new project.
    9. SEO is very rewarding, but learn to do it yourself, as getting a top SEO firm to do the work for you is both expensive, and many SEO firms still employ questionable practices

I believe 'shopping mall' sites may eventually
    clutter the web so much that surfers will rebel. May be good for doing well in the short term, but beware of the long term. I know many will disagree, but lets just see what happens in the next few years.

I hope this helps and I'm sure others could also add recomendations to this... At the risk of going further off topic I wish all of the newbies the best in their endeavours

ABW Ambassador
    "I believe 'shopping mall' sites may eventually clutter the web so much that surfers will rebel."

Isn't that what inspired Ad-blocking software? The great rebellion is now.

Many shoppers love real shopping sites, but so much of the clutter out there are sites misleading visitors and frustrating them with false hopes of additional discounts that don't exist.

Customer to merchant scenario: I recently searched for your company name in the Google search engine and was provided a full two pages of sites offering coupons and special discounts for your company. I was excited that I was going to get a super deal, but when I finally arrived at your site I find none of them are valid. I probably would have bought from you if I didn't feel misled. Through this I was inspired to search for a better deal and found it elsewhere.

Expect special merchant terms and agreements to change in the near future ...and forget the multi-zillion datafeed site attempts as well.

What, do you think you're Froogle or something? ---- Shania Twain

ABW Ambassador
    Wow Captainp, that is a lot of info. Thanks for sharing. Currently, I am doing some of those things. My traffic is growing and it is fun and exciting.

My problem is focusing in one area. But I am slowly learning what works and doesn't. My hubbie keeps telling me I need to find more links to my pages. So far, getting them hasn't been a problem. It's just the time it takes to do it. I really only have probably about an hour a day max to focus on doing my affiliate stuff, as my kids are always in the way.

I haven't tried ppc nor has my hubbie. He hates the idea of paying for something that may not be worthwile (hence actually losing money). We focus on seo and link building and do it ourselves. He is shocked I made any money so quickly, but hey, whatever works, right?

Robin

quote:
    Originally posted by kelly626:
    Expect special merchant terms and agreements to change in the near future ...and forget the multi-zillion datafeed site attempts as well.

I agree 100% Kelly, whether it is a hobby site or a business site it is best to build for the future --- nothing like depending on an income and having it taken away --- I might as well just get a "REAL" job again

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast