Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    How much do you spend on pay per click promotion every month and how much revenue does it bring in?

ABW Ambassador
    A lot.
    A lot x 2

A Lot...
    A Lot X 6. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I am a tightwad!

Core

And you definition of spending a lot is?

ABW Ambassador
    Justdoit

Thousands
    and the x2 is not a joke
    if we can't get that return, we just don't do it.

Ok, looks like that avenue of promotion is out of the question for me then.
    Thanks.

JustDoIt,

You can spend as much or as little as you want on PPC. It doesn't hurt to give something a try. I started out spending $25 per month and things worked out. Now I spend around $400 - $500 per month on PPC.

Core

Whew, thanks Core.
    I can see spending a couple of hundred a month on PPC's to start and gauge the return, Adam Ward scared me off when he said thousands, that was a bit beyond my budget until I start making the big bucks..

ABW Ambassador
    >Adam Ward scared me off

hey
    start small
    if you get the ROI you are happy with, it will self fund to a larger amount each month.

We certainly didn't start with $1000's

Thanks Guys, off to do some PPC exploring. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    On the other hand, I have spent hundreds per month and now I spend less than $20.

Just a different perspective. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Well hopefully I'll spend $0 on PPC's eventually but they are faster for instant traffic until I get SE's down pat and listings all spidered.. :eek:

ABW Ambassador
    I spend approx $50 per month on PPC
    I generally see about 10X to 15X return.

The rest of my income would be through earned through spending on Inktomi pages. I see about anywhere from 7-14X return on these pages.

Okay, sounds good (spending a little to start out with). For an affiliate site, where would one go to spend those ($20. - $100.)?

Fred

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: buy_online ]

When I first started out, I spent as much as $100/month -- just to get the traffic and make people aware of my site. Once the search engines started picking me up, I started lowering the budget, to the point that for the first six months of this year I spent nothing and my sales increased have increased every month this year.

For some reason, my traffic was very, very poor the first week of this month, so I donated $25 to Oversure. Fortunately, I still have a lot of 1 cent bids still grandfathered in there.

Be careful which PPC engines you use too. I placed several hundred bids with Ah-Ha in January 2001, and deposited $25. They threw in a $5 bonus at Christmastime, or something. They did not deplete that money until this month. Something's wrong when it takes 18 months for a PPC to go through $30. Had the nerve to write and say that they tried to automatically replenish (I never sign up for auto-replenish), but the expiration date on my credit card had expired. Boy, would they have gotten a nasty-gram from me if they had automatically hit my credit card.

Also, once I got Number 1 listing at the major search engines/directories on some of my terms, I deleted those terms from bidding. I mean really! Why should I pay Oversure ten cents for a click from Yahoo for "microwave cooking" when I get number one position there any way?

ABW Ambassador
    $0 just use google [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I spend approx $50 per month on PPC
    I generally see about 10X to 15X return.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What PPC engine do you use? That's pretty amazing ROI. I use Findwhat and I get around 3 to 4x ROI.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wly:

What PPC engine do you use? That's pretty amazing ROI. I use Findwhat and I get around 3 to 4x ROI.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yeah, I know.
    It's overture, and they are pretty niche merchants, but they convert..
    My bids are about $0.05 cents, with about a $30-$50 commish.. i'd give my CR's, but CJ is down at the moment.
    I haven't been game to change any overture listings since they cracked down on affiliate links, so they've stayed up, and I haven't added to them.

ABW Ambassador
    This is probably a dumb question, forgive the newbie. How can you tell your ROI when you use ppc. How can you tell if a sale is from free traffic or return users to your site. I just started using Google Adwords and i can tell how many clicks i got for what term but i can't tell where the sale came from.

ABW Ambassador
    >How can you tell your ROI when you use ppc.

One way is to use a separate affiliate account for each PPC account.
    And if the affiliate network doesn't allow that, do it anyway. :eek:

ABW Ambassador
    On average I spend about $1500 a month on PPC. The return is a little over that x15. You do the math. :eek: [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

But I must admit, I have been lazy in the search engine optimization with google and other SEs - I plan to step up the SEO Projects and get that down to maybe $1000. I believe that if you optimize your pages right and get good listings in the free SEs, you can obtain the same results as you would spending hundreds of dollars in PPC listing. Plus not to mention I hate Overture now, but am still at there mercy for the time being.

Nothing, but maybe I should reconsider. Nothingx15 doesn't add up to much.

But the way I do it I can come to europe for a 3 week vacation and my business takes care of itself. If I had to pay for traffic I'd be worrying all the time about what might be happening.

I am getting 10x profit from PPC which sounds good at first until I tell you I'm spending about $25/month on PPC engines.

What I'm trying to decide now is whether to up my bids or to increase the amount of sites.

ABW Ambassador
    If you're getting a 10X return it's definitely worth testing higher bids. Your margins would be smaller, but if you got enough more traffic you'd still end up ahead. Keep testing until you find the balance point that puts the most money in your pocket at the end of the month.

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: buckworks.com ]

ABW Ambassador
    PPC is something that scares me, as I have not got enough money to pay even $25 per month. However, what I have found invaluable is Inktomi. I have pages there which gte up to 50 visits per day via MsN, AOL etc. If I was paying 5c per click it would cost me $2.50 per day, or over $900 per year. Each listing after the first only costs $25. Now that is a bargain. Whether you get sales is a different matter. I have always been impressed by the conversion rates people mention from PPC. Much better than my Inktomi indexed pages.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread