Where do you go to see if your site has been turned down by DMOZ?

You can PM a friendly neighbourhood ODP editor (e.g. me) and I can have a quick look.

ABW Ambassador
    jb
    As I understand it you do not know if it has been turned down - only if it has been accepted, and ONLY THEN BY CHECKING DMOZ (or looking at logs).

You have to keep checking back at the category you submnitted to. If it is not listed yet, then either it has been turned down OR it has not been considered yet. If months go by, I would submit again, or submit to another category.

Does the category you submitted to have an editor?

ABW Ambassador
    (or do as Dynamoo suggests) - thats handy to know. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    >Does the category you submitted to have an editor?

NO
    Editor/Editors in the cat above will be editing the cat

As a tip.. it's really, really important to pick the correct cat, because if you pick the *wrong* cat you may site there for weeks/months if there's no editor before being sent off to the correct cat (where you could be in for a long wait again).

Also, check your access logs for a referral from somewhereorother[/i]]http://dmoz.org/editors/somewhereorother - this will be an ODP editor visiting your site. If you haven't had such a referral then you probably haven't been visited. If you *have* had a referral like that and you're still not listed then it's likely you've been rejected, held for further examination, or moved to another cat.

Yet another tip: use the search function at the front of the directory to look for your site, but be aware that the search index only updated every 24 hours or so.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam Ward:
    >Does the category you submitted to have an editor?

NO
    Editor/Editors in the cat above will be editing the cat
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But I guess that takes a lot more time?

ABW Ambassador
    >But I guess that takes a lot more time?

Not necessarily
    EXAMPLE
    http://dmoz.org/Regional/North_Ameri...M/Millinocket/

The editor prollllly edits all sub-cats
    He doesn't list himself in all the cats he can edit.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    For as huge as dmoz is, I would think they could create a little 'status' page where you could type in a url and it would check and return a value, either: accepted, still in queue, or rejected.

Is there some incredible burden of coding required that would hinder the addition of such a convenient option?

I don't think it would involve a huge amount of coding, no, but it's a culture thing I think.

Over at Zeal it's completely different.. lots of communication between submitters and editors. Trouble is Zeal only really generates traffic through LookSmart, rather than the huge boost Google gets from a DMOZ listing.

ABW Ambassador
    Not a big programming job, but it would mean editors would be in the spotlight, and those who are only editors for personal gain would be found out Dynamoo excepted of course).

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam Ward:
    >But I guess that takes a lot more time?

Not necessarily
    EXAMPLE
    http://dmoz.org/Regional/North _America/United_States/Maine/Localities/M/Millinocket/

The editor prollllly edits all sub-cats
    He doesn't list himself in all the cats he can edit.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont get your point following this lead. Besides, there are always exceptions to every rule.

Thanks for all your replies to my post. It's hard getting an affiliate site out there in the big search engines. I've added a few informational pages to my site to increase my chances. Again, thanks for your replies!

ABW Ambassador
    jb
    I am sorry if I am wrong here, but my answer assumes you are a novice affiliate.

It is actually not that difficult if you use wordtracker and oiptimise your pages properly. If you are no good at writing ad-copy, dont. Use the CJ merchants links and just modify their text to give you the density/prominence etc that you want.

Submission to search engines can be done manually (I use search engine commando, and it saves masses of time, and works well). But be prepared for long waits to get into Google. Usually 2-3 months but maybe longer (can be quicker by linking to a new site from an existing site by text link).

ABW Ambassador
    >I dont get your point following this lead.
    http://dmoz.org/Regional/North_Ameri..._Entertainment has no editor

while http://dmoz.org/Regional/North_Ameri.../M/Millinocket does

and he takes care of the sub-cats

Now ya say "who is this smuck in Millinocket"

25608 edits as a
    editall
    catmv
    meta
    keditall
    kcatmv

The point is "just submit to the correct CAT"

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I must be doing something wrong.....one of my sites got accepted at dmoz.....and I only had to beg once! I'm losing my touch!

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Is it possible to get the same site listed in more than one category at DMOZ?

For instance, if your site covers several related topics, and has a separate section for each one, how can you get it listed for each topic? A car site for instance, might have information about Chevrolets, Pontiacs, Buicks, etc. If it gets listed in DMOZ under Chevrolet, can you also submit it for Pontiac and Buick? People doing searches for a Buick will never find it listed under Chevrolet.

Andy

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread