Can anyone give me some tips on how to go about choosing the best keywords/phrases to get a good ranking on Google? I have signed up with WordTracker several times but I am always a bit overwhelmed by the results it returns.

Firstly, there are VERY few phrases left, if any, that have low competition and a large amount of traffic.

Secondly, WordTracker finds results based on phrases in quotes right? i.e. "fuzzy peaches". But most people don't bother with the quotes when they do searches so if there's a page with more incidents of "fuzzy" and "peaches" on than a page with the same amout of "fuzzy peaches" would that rank higher?

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: snoop ]

When you are looking for keywords/phrases on wordtracker, forget about the number of competing sites. Go and view the top 10 results for those search terms yourself, and judge whether or not you can get a site ranked above any of the ones there. If you can, build it.. if not, find another one.

As for wordtracker and quotes, there is an option in the competition search which is preset to yes for using quotes. Just change that to no (it's underneath all the search engines boxes), and your queries are run without quotes.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: Justdoit ]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Secondly, WordTracker finds results based on phrases in quotes right? i.e. "fuzzy peaches". But most people don't bother with the quotes when they do searches so if there's a page with more incidents of "fuzzy" and "peaches" on than a page with the same amout of "fuzzy peaches" would that rank higher?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The page with lots of mentions of 'fuzzy' and 'peaches' would probably not rank higher than the page with a couple less mentions of 'fuzzy peaches'. Search engines use keyword proximity and order as part of their algo - so if you search for 'fuzzy peaches' (without the quotes) the search engine is looking for those words in that order and as close together as they can be. This is a large part of how results are returned.

That is why if you search on 'fuzzy peaches' and then search on 'peaches fuzzy', you get different results.

Thanks for all that great info!

I have one more question - what would you consider is a reasonable amount of traffic to aim for (regarding the 24hours column in WordTracker)?

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: snoop ]

ABW Ambassador
    Without wishing to sound flippant, I would say as much as you think you can get. I would also check the terms you are targeting at msn.com to see how many Looksmart listings there are for a particular search, check at Overture and Excite to see how many bidded listings and then revise your keyword list to include only those phrases you have a chance of getting on the first page of results for. This will give you something to aim for to start with.

If you are new to SEO, don't target one or two word phrases- you'll just end up frustrated.

A reasonable amount of traffic is usually an individuals own judgement call.. I usually calculate out the expected profits of a site to help determine a suitable level of traffic..

I loosely follow these kinds of steps..

What position do I expect my site will be ranked?.. How much traffic will this bring me? How many people will click through to the merchants site? Using the epc of merchants that I intend to promote, what are my expected earnings? Are the earnings worth going after?

That's a very loose summary as there are a few other factors, and I also have my own variation on a merchants epc which I expect from my sites.

The bottom line is whether or not there's enough potential traffic to return you a healthy profit from your targeted terms.

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: TK ]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread