I was wondering if search engines such as google, et al read the contents of style sheets. I have a separate style sheet that all my pages link to. Besides using it to format text and links, I've also resized the H1 and H2 tags. The text that those tags put into my web pages was just too big. Do you think this could cause any problems for my site with the search engines?

No. And I really wish people would stop asking that.

Google and the other engines don't care what your site looks like: they care that humans and robots are receiving the same information. As long as the header is still used like a header, people can tell it's a header, and Google doesn't have anything to be concerned with.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    It's a perfectly legitimate question [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

No, Google shouldn't penalize you for using them and in fact it can help your ranking greatly

ABW Ambassador
    Hot weather making you cranky, islander? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Greg, I haven't bothered to css my h1/h2 tags (yes they ARE big) and so I haven't bothered wondering about the SEO aspects. They don't seem to bother the end-users, so I just clench my teeth and leave them as is.

It ain't pretty, but the people buy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    BUT, (and this is my opinion), I wouldn't go and put pages or even multiple paragraphs of keyword stuffed text inside H Tags and make the text normal size through css.

But, for headings I think the use of H Tags is perfectly acceptable, even though altered through css. Use it properly and you shouldn't have any problems.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    LOL Cedric! I know what you mean about gritting your teeth for huge H1 headlines!!

My sites have un-resized H1 headlines too, and I grit my teeth too...but the real arbiter of beauty is the Commission Check/Deposit--and mine also says "It's beautiful"!

I guess buyers just like to have the headline blasted at 'em through the visual equivalent of a megaphone.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread