Is it best to submit new pages to Google when they're published, or wait until the next spidering, and let Google find them on its own?

I was under the impression Google likes finding new pages on its own, and they might get a slight ranking boost because of it, but others have said they get new pages listed quicker if they submit them directly, with no difference in ranking.

Any recommendations?

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    I submit just to get it in the index, but I find that many times I submit it is ignored. It is usually the case that a page linked from one in Googles index will be found next time round. Again it depends on how good you are at optimising pages as to where you rank. A well optimised page submitted to Google will rank better than a poorly optimised page found by Google itself.

I believe Google does penalise you, but after time that penalty is dropped.

Submit it and hgave a link from your homepage if possible.

ABW Ambassador
    It is my belief that submitting to Google does nothing at all except maybe to flag a page as possible spam. Googlebot follows links and will find your pages that way - don't waste time submitting them, build new ones instead.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Googlebot follows links and will find your pages that way - don't waste time submitting them, build new ones instead.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So if I am building a brand new web site, it sounds like the best think I can do to get Google to look at it would be to have links to it from other sites. If this is true, would adding links from my own high ranked site at Google then accelerate the process?

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, that is the best thing to do.

I have had a new site indexed after one month by including a link to it from an existing site. Without that link it takes 3-4 months after submitting (assuming submitting does any good - see Marymark's post).

Suggestion about new pages and submitting to Google, or linking to the new page...

Prepare the Page completely, before you submit or link. If Google spiders it before it is ready, it will cache the unprepared page, Title, keywords and narrative. This may not be to your liking, and it will be awhile before that version goes away in Google.

I found out about this the hard way - had an old version indexed. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Good Rule... Submit or Link only to a Page that is in final form. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jim in Texas [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone, I had heard long ago that Google likes finding the pages by itself, and I guess it's best not to mess with success.

Andy

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread