I'm curious if anyone knows the formula or about how many incoming links it takes to get to each level of page rank, or more specifically, is there a general range you need to be in to make a page rank of 7?

You need pages with 8's (7's might work) to link to you. I think it is less of a quantity issue than a quality issue.

Witness is right.. it's the quality that's important plus the quantity. A link in from a page with PR5 is worth a lot more than PR1, but you don't need to link in from a page with a HIGHER PR (i.e. 8) to get PR7.

I did a totally unscientify survey of some pages.

Site #1 - 362 inbounds, first 5 PRs are 5,5,4,4,4.
    Site #2 - 2030 inbounds, first 5 PRs are 6,5,5,5,5.
    Site #3 - 1120 inbounds, first 5 PRs are 6,5,5,5,4.
    Site #4 - 104 inbounds, first 5 PRs are 2,4,5,5,4. (go figure).

So the answer is (I guess) look to establish inbounds on pages with PR5 or PR6.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Also, I believe I read here somewhere, that the number of links emanating from a page dilutes the value of the link somewhat. So, getting on a links page with 50 other sites won't necessarily help you very much...

correct. Might be better to have a link from a PR5 where you're the only link, than a link from a PR6 where there are 1000 outgoing...

ABW Ambassador
    The other part of exchanging links to boost search engine ranking is keeping your links on theme. IE: Get links from genuinely related sites and use your keywords in the anchor text where possible.

The anchor text is the important part for Google, but other search engines (most notably Teoma, though Inktomi are moving this way too) do rank on a community-orientated hubs and authorities basis.

In plain English, if your site is about computers and you link out to lots of sites about computers and lots of sites about computers link to you, then it is clear that your site is part of a 'computers' community. This will give you a major boost on related terms at Teoma.

With Ink, this community based idea is used more to determine the regional relevancy of a site though it does help a little with ranking.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread