I'm currently rebuilding my web site. Some of the new pages that will be replacing the old ones will be located in different directories. Do I ---

1.) Put the new web site up, replacing the old site. Keep the old pages that are already indexed with search engines, but place a meta refresh tag that shifts the users to the new pages. Site visitors most likely wouldn't notice that they have been re-directed to the new page. I would probably add the old pages to my robots.txt file so that they are no longer indexed.

2.) Just replace the pages, and wait until the site is crawled again and the new pages are picked up. If I do it this way, I'll lose traffic to those pages until they are indexed again.

To me, #1 sounds better, but I don't know how the search engines deal with a situation like this.

I could end up extremely [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Or very [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

My recommendation is not on your list. It is: Keep all of your current pages up with the same content. Do not use a meta refresh, only post a very large link to the new page location that no user could possibly miss on each page. This is how I recently handled a site conversion. I personally have never wanted to risk using a meta refresh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gregdi:
    I'm currently rebuilding my web site. Some of the new pages that will be replacing the old ones will be located in different directories. Do I ---<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If there's a one-to-one equivilence between the old and new pages, the answer is: read the manual for your server. You want to do a status 301 redirect ("Permanently moved") from the old URLs to the new ones.

I struggle with this one all the time. Mostly I leave the pages up. Should the merchant die (or join the darkside and get dropped) I kill the entire page as soon as it shows up in 'invalid links'.

There'll be plenty of those soon. The Angel of Death descended on my CJ account recently and laid waste to lots of conversion deficient merchants.

I

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread