ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    This is not news to us.

Nothing personal Adam.

But new Cognigen signups would be well served and less likely to be disappointed if they were informed about these things instead of being encouraged to submit their identical mirror sites to every possible search engine.

Once again, nothing personal.

hehe

ABW Ambassador
    Deelz:

No prollllem
    It is not new in concept.
    It is new in writing. The guidelines were revised. To single out Metabolife seems ODD.

As far as the Cognigen identical mirror sites are concerned, That's what happens when you have a programmer write the marketing pointers. :eek:

ABW Ambassador
    Once again nothing personal Adam. I just have this habit of blasting Cognigen's advice to newbies whenever the mood strikes. I tend to do it in your threads, and I apologise for that.

Any lurkers out there who are new here, Adam is a good guy. Don't construe any of the bad things I say here as having anything to do with him.

Acutally I was quite pleased by the new guidelines and they should help to prevent content sites been unfairly excluded on the basis of having some affiliate links.

OK, it's maybe not what everyone wants but it's an improvement, and it's something that's been discussed internally at the ODP forums for quite a while now.

>This may not "make your day"

Who gives a ****....

What I am wondering is, why is it still called Open directory? I got a fancy name for it ... but won't tell...

Open Directory is not key to anybody's success, especially in affiliate marketing arena. With the "link popularity" thing getting old, there's no value that ODP offers to any e-commerce site. Call it a directory of websites that the boss wants listed... How much traffic is generated from ODP and its clones anyways, and when are we moving to "paid inclusion"?

- BluesX

I don't know about anyone else but I run some diet pill sites and when odp dropped ALL weight loss diet pill sites a few months ago I so a drop in traffic so odp does affect you down the line.

I was really upset as I had 2 of my sites in there for over a year!!

Am sure they will move to paid for inclusion and then they will really disappear into the unknown has been area of the internet.

I think we had this conversation before about crystal ball gazing with Google.. there's no reason why a major SE couldn't add paid listings to the ODP data, which would effectively remove the affiliate bar and speed inclusions.

It's hard to say how much traffic the ODP generates by iteself because it's all folded into the link popularity with Google and the portals it feeds (Yahoo, AOL).

Looking at my traffic stats for the past year, maybe 2%-3% comes directly from different flavours of the Open Directory, but maybe around 50% from Google, but most of the high-pageranking pages are those that are replicated in the ODP clones, so effectively it's the old formula of ODP listing = Google Pagerank and if the every change the Google algo to compensate for that, well.. things will be interesting.

I'm not sure how many people actually use any of the directories available to them anyway.. since more than half my hits generally come from search referrals rather than anything else.

This is not to say that there's anything wrong with "directories" as a concept.. indeed, I find the ODP (and the Google pageranked version) to be a great place to find information on certain topics - but then I'm *used* to using directories to find information.. I have an awful feeling though that the great majority of Web users have no idea how to actually find stuff and will generally just type the query into the first search box they can find.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>BluesX: Open Directory is not key to anybody's success, especially in affiliate marketing arena. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd disagree in as much as an ODP listing is a huge boost for c*ntent sites (for the reasons listed above). But if you're running a pure affiliate marketing site, you're absolutely 100% right - don't waste your time with trying to get listed. I *think* theres going to be a move to purge the affiliate sites that are already in there.. this will be good in a way because it will at least level out the playing field.

Different types of site have different traffic models and use different ways of getting people to visit. You need to consider a whole load of factors before you can decide which ways are the best to attract traffic.

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: Dynamoo ]

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with Blue that ODP is not critical to success. It IS frustrating to see countless instances where ODP's rules are not consistently applied, but in the long run it's more productive to work on other promotion than it is to expend energy bemoaning the dumbness of DMOZ.

I have a content site in ODP and Yahoo. It has over 100 inbound links. It's Google PR varies from 1-3. All content is original, and there are two ads on the whole site.
    Of course, this is just one example--results may vary.

> ODP listing = Google Pagerank

Disagreed. 100%. This is not the case at all. I know it for a fact. ODP had limited effect on Google Pagerank (i,e. odp listed sites had little advantage over sites odp chooses not to list) but the effect has already been removed once odp declared its dictatorship earlier this year.

> don't waste your time with trying to get listed.

In my case, odp is my enemy and my competitor if anything. I'd have no reason trying to get listed on my enemy's directory. I'm taking a more political and violent path than being nice to my enemy.

- BluesX

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm taking a more political and violent path than being nice to my enemy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I shall watch out for you lurking in the bushes with a custard pie then [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    While ODP may not "critical to success", and it may not help your rankings (can't say for sure),

I can say that if you want to generate FREE TRAFIC, from all search engines, it WILL definately help you become more successful! I'm gonna waste my time and try and get listed [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. Right now I get nothing from MSN and many others but if I get listed, I at least have a chance if I've done my homework!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have an awful feeling though that the great majority of Web users have no idea how to actually find stuff and will generally just type the query into the first search box they can find.~Dynamoo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha ha, you got THAT right! I have a site search box on my sites. On a page that clearly says to use the merchant's search box for specific product searches, I got tons of searches for that type of products generated.

Problem is, they were generated through MY search box (which will just send them back to the same darned page they were just on)!

Duhs...

Not every product gets that effect, but certain ones draw much more than their share of newbies or otherwise unsaavy viewers...

BluesX,
    U R Phunni!!! :cool:

Outsourced Program Manager
    Just a quick question. When I used to do search engine marketing, ODP fueled AOL's search results and greatly affected my sites sales (not Coldwater Creek), as a lot of traffic could be generated from AOL. Now quality of traffic can be debated [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I haven't kept abreast of the search engine issues, but if AOL still uses ODP for results, wouldn't that have an effect or possible effect on traffic? Excuse me for not being completely up to date on all this.

Well, AOL *own* the ODP through AOL Time Warner -> Netscape Communications -> Open Directory, and because AOL now feeds from Google (which is also partly fed from the Open Directory, and Google Pagerank benefits from the shedloads of ODP clones out there) then an ODP listing can benefit AOL search results in two ways - results from the ODP clone and ODP-enhanced Google results.

Because the ODP doesn't list affiliate sites this can have a knock-on effect on the Google ranking (but clever affiliate marketers can compensate for this by working harder at promotion).. whereas AOL's old search result, Inktomi, was more affiliate-friendly, Google is more focussed on content (or what Google *thinks* is content).

I guess it's swings and roundabouts.. Google is such a big player that affiliate marketers will try to optimise as much as possible for it, so it means a page with a good ranking at Google will also boost traffic from Yahoo! and AOL.

Actually though, I think the *new* ODP guidelines are better and it gives more of a chance for hybrid content/affiliate sites to get listed.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread