Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    One my sites is currently getting first page listings on Google for dozens of different keywords. That's great, but that's the only major search engine I getting lots of traffic from (just a trickle from AOL, MSN, ASK).

Would love to hear suggestions from all regarding submitting my site to search engines such as Inktomi that you must pay for.

Thanks.

I'd say Inktomi is definitely worth the $39. And after that, it's only $25 a page. We get good traffic from MSN, thanks to Ink, and if nothing else, it's a great way to test titles, etc. because pages show up within 2 days.

ABW Ambassador
    Inktomi, worth it? YES!!!!

For all pages? NO!!!!

The first thing to do is to check your targeted key phrases at MSN. Then look how far down the WEB PAGES section starts. If the WEB DIRECTORY section has a bejillion pages -- or even fifty -- probably best not to bother. The WEB PAGES section starts AFTER the WEB DIRECTORY section and Inktomi listings only show in the WEB PAGES section.

The good news is, if a page doesn't pay for itself, you can change it out. It takes some experimenting and you have to learn how to optimize for Inktomi... but worth it? Yeah, baby. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I'm not sure I'm following you on this. When I check out some keyword phrases at MSN, I see about two Featured Sites, then about three Sponsored Sites before the web directory starts. Are you saying there should only be a few Featured and Sponsored before the Web Directoy Sites or that there should only be a few in the Web Directory Sites?

Ya, Inktomi is definately picking up more of my pages, a lot more than the couple I paid for.

ABW Ambassador
    >> Are you saying there should only be a few Featured and Sponsored before the Web Directoy Sites or that there should only be a few in the Web Directory Sites?<<

No, what I'm saying (now)is, it's probably not worth listing the page for those keywords. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

The FEATURED SITES/SPONSORED come BEFORE the WEB DIRECTORY section... which all come BEFORE the WEB PAGES section. And paid Inktomi puts you in the WEB PAGES section.

If you're not even seeing the WEB PAGES section (keep drilling, it's there), odds are seekers are not going to see your pages.

I *think* it is but I use the ineedhits version and it's very difficult to say for sure because the hit counter's broken. Grrrr. :mad:

Well, the interesting thing is that some of my keywords produce results for my site at MSN. Some pages come up even as high as #3 with no sponsors listed.

Would it be your suggestions then that I list these high ranking pages of mine with Inktomi and ignore my lower ranking ones?

ABW Ambassador
    If these pages are already ranking for free in MSN, then there's no point paying for them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If these pages are already ranking for free in MSN, then there's no point paying for them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what you are saying is that it would not do me any good to pay for Inktomi submit if I'm already being listed on sites such as MSN and AOL?

If this is true, then I guess my real project is to get lower listed pages ranked higher. How do I do that? Do I modify keywords or page content or something else?

Inktomi is in a big trouble now. Their search results are even worse than the not so staisfactory paid Overture results! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] They lost all of their major U.S. distribution partners except MSN (and Overture, but don't get me started on Overture again! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

Inktomi recently indexed 2,000+ pages from my site and they now all appear in current index. Looks like I saved a million bucks by simply trusting my guts!

I have a feeling that there will be another round of "free inktomi crawls" all around the web pretty soon. SO, my hold recommendation stands.

On the last comment, I should say that you need not pay inktomi if you're already indexed, unless you really need frequent updates, and I believe majority of sales/affiliate sites do not need frequent updates.

- BluesX

ABW Ambassador
    7-days you said you have first page results in Google for some of you keywords and only a trickle from AOL. AOL now uses Google for its search results, so if you're good in Google you're good in AOL too. Also Google powers iwon, netscape and some others. Also Google ppc will be showing in AskJeeves in the near future.

I agree with Bluesx. Inktomi's recent shuffle dumped my PFI pages way down in the rankings, and they haven't climbed, despite tinkering. A couple hundred free pages I have are doing much better. I see no reason to pay for a trickle of MSN traffic.

Lycos/Alltheweb PFI is even worse.

>>Inktomi recently indexed 2,000+ pages from my site and they now all appear in current index. Looks like I saved a million bucks by simply trusting my guts!<<

To be exact BluesX, you saved over $50,000 which, while it's a ways away from a million bucks, is certainly nothing to sneeze at either! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Before the AOL thing went down, I submitted a handful of sites to Inktomi, and MSN has done well by them, and by me. That said, I probably won't be submitting any more pages for quite a while for the reasons that BluesX, and others, have stated.

"Why should I pay for it when I can get it for free?" Goes for both sex and SEs. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

(Geez, I need to get off the board and get some work done before crashing out for the night! I went to a party earlier, came back and practically beelined it to this board.)

ABW Ambassador
    I'm still in there with Inktomi paid... and will be until it isn't profitable.

ABW Ambassador
    Right there with ya.

And I'll keep on paying.

Bit of a dillema isn't it?

There's lots of evidence that if you pay for one page, you lose any possiblity of having your whole site in it.

But paying for that one page gives you neat tinkerability

Inktomi just had a masive core DB update and much has changed so if you havn't checked in a while, do so.

Getting into Inktomi's BOW (Best Of the Web) is much the same as getting into Google: Get a few good links from sites already in there for free.

Optimizing for INK in a nutshell:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Title
    <LI>Description
    <LI>First few lines of text[/list]

I'm with BluesX, hang in there and get all your pages in [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Nick

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There's lots of evidence that if you pay for one page, you lose any possiblity of having your whole site in it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My logs tell me otherwise. I get the deep crawl in addition to my paid inclusions. And I am more than happy to continue paying for the 48-hour refresh on certain pages.

Not to disagree with the naysayers; it's just "what works for me".

>To be exact BluesX, you saved over $50,000 which, while it's a ways away from a million bucks, is certainly nothing to sneeze at either! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Well... I included the 30k new pages that are likely to be indexed the next slurp crawl.. PLUS any future FREE indexing.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

- BluesX

The other question is "How quick do I want my page listed?" For one of my sites, I just waited about 2 months and this week started seeing traffic from MSN, HotBot/Lycos, etc. For this site, it wasn't time sensitive to get it listed quick.
    If I was putting up a page that had to do with the latest new release DVD or something that was in the news today, then the $$ option would be worth the price. Otherwise, by the time the spider visited and Inktomi listed, it would no longer be relevent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BluesX:

Well... I included the 30k new pages that are likely to be indexed the next slurp crawl.. PLUS any future FREE indexing.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:eek: :eek: :eek:

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not worried about getting ALL my pages in -- there are many that will never be profitable from MSN traffic.

Paid Inktomi continues to be veddy veddy good to me and I have yet to see an argument that speaks louder than my ROI.

Cedric:

My argument is NOT "don't pay inktomi", it is rather "hold for a few moments!"

Yes MSN traffic can bring high ROI, but you can not put a price on free traffic [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I am on a mission to receive 5k clicks/day from Overture w/out paying neither overture not inktomi a penny. I think it will say a lot and mean a lot! :cool:

- BluesX

7-Days,
    Put some money-making pages in Inktomi.. the price is low when compared to pay per click. Ok we all love free traffic, but cover all the bases.

ABW Ambassador
    >>it is rather "hold for a few moments!"

You expect patience from this corner? Never done well with that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, for those (like the thread originator) who are "considering" a first dip into Inktomi, the "hold" may be a good idea (not convinced, but I'll concede "may").

For those of us already in waist deep, there's really no reason to hold further additions. If there is a "penalty" for paid inclusions, we're already there.

[edited to add the following]
    >>I am on a mission to receive 5k clicks/day from Overture w/out paying neither overture not inktomi a penny.<<

An honorable mission, with lofty goals.

I ain't joining your crusade (though Overture will NEVER see another penny of mine), but I applaud you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: Cedric ]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast