ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    I've tried twice now to get a listing changed from two different website submissions. They keep denying me.

Granted, it's only been twice, but I provided very compelling facts and reasons why I felt the listing they decided did not exactly reflect my mission.

Can I request another review? Any chance I could get someone on the phone? Anyone have any good advice on how to get this done?

If you submitted your site through paid inclusion, try emailing the Bizex who accepted your site, on his email address. You may try this within the first 30 days though.

Or you may, try using the change form. Provide a very straight forward and valid reason for the change.

I personally have a 100% success rate whenever I requested a change to my paid listings.

BTW, are you requesting a change in your title or description?

I did reply to the email confirming my entry. Yes, paid listing.

I wanted to change the category first, and I also took a shot at getting them to add a word to my description. The title was fine.

I need to post my whole case study here so you can tell me if I'm being unreasonable or not. I'll do that tomorrow.

I think I'll try emailing the person directly if I can too.

ABW Ambassador
    Like Farhan, I have never had a problem getting a listing change. They are pretty receptive, but I guess if they included the original description/title/category that you submitted and then you ask for an alteration, they are not going to change it.

I don't know if that's what has happened here, just thinking out loud.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with Farhan and Marky - I've never had a problem getting changes either but it has to be for a valid reason.

You can't ask them to change a description for keyword sakes - they just won't do it. Now if they described your site all wrong then they'll change it. And unless it's in the absolute wrong category - you can forget that one too. Yahoo is very picky and pretty much sticks to what is gives you the first time as long is it adequately fits your site.

Ok, here's the deal. The description they gave me was fine. It's the category that bothered me.

Here's the site I listed: www.brookssanjose.com

Here's where I wanted the listing: http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__S...unity_and_Tech nical/

Here's where they put me: http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__S...tas/Education/

Ok, so my arguement was, the school is not in "milpitas", and the schools domain name is not brooksmilpitas, it's brookssanjose.com

The temporary office of the school in in milpitas, but the school's entire branding campaign is based around reaching san jose area students, not milpitas.

Make sense? Am I being unreasonable here?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Ok, so my arguement was, the school is not in "milpitas", and the schools domain name is not brooksmilpitas, it's brookssanjose.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your argument is 100% on the money, especially your domain name. If you've paid good money for representation, one has more than an assumption it will be put in the appropriate category AND using the proper domain.

That's what I thought. What do I do now? Try the change form?

Here's what I sent them (my appeal):

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Hello,

I was hoping we could change the directory of my recent listing.

You placed it here: http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__S...tas/Education/

I requested it be placed here: http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__S...unity_and_Tech nical/

Reason:
    Milpitas is not my client's drawing point. San Jose is. That's why the domain name is www.brookssanjose.com.

Solution:
    This would be an appropriate compromise, yes?
    http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__S...unity_and_Tech nical/

Also, is there any way we can get the words "san jose" into my description?

You have: "- graphic design and network technology college."

I would suggest: "- graphic design and network technology college in san jose."

Again, my client's entire mission is focused around being in San Jose. Having a reference to Milpitas goes against their entire business theme, and is therefore, in my opinion, less relevant to search engine users.

Thanks for your consideration.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's the rejection email in case no one ever saw it. The don't really leave it open, or give you further appeal opportunties.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dear Yahoo! Express Client,

This email is in response to your appeal regarding the URL submitted

<url:http://www.brookssanjose.com>

with Yahoo! Express Order #xxxxxx. After reviewing your
    appeal, we decided that your current listing in Yahoo! more accurately reflects the true nature and content of the site. As such, we
    did not make any of the requested changes.

If you have further questions please check our FAQ area at http://www.yahoo.com/info/support. For general Yahoo!
    Express questions please visit http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/bizex/.

For billing related questions, please call (408) 349-5151
    between 8am and 6pm Monday through Friday PST. Please have
    handy the Order ID provided to you.

Thank you,

-Yahoo! Express Team
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: AffiliateMakeover.com ]

ABW Ambassador
    I have to say that your appeal email has probably worked against you here.

All that stuff about drawing point, branding and business mission is irrelevant to Yahoo. My email would have said something like:

"Thank you for including www.brooksanjose.com in the Yahoo directory. I notice you have placed it in the ..../milpitas/education category. Milpitas is simply an administration office for Brooks - the college itself is based in San Jose. Would it be possible to move the listing to this category: /San_Jose/Education/College_and_University/Community_and_Tech as San Jose is where the college is actually located"

I wouldn't have asked for a description change, but I think an email more like this would have had the desired effect.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread