Please advise me !!

No, not anymore....

So many ways to make a buck, so little time...

Hello Direct, our team has tried both scenerio's of "no new window" and "new window" on clicks. We did not see any deviation to conversion ratio what-so-ever. I don't know if this is the norm .. but atleast in our case we seen no difference. Hope that helps.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

Can someone elaborate on specific instances where "open in new window" (_blank) is blocked? I have heard rumors, but no evidence yet. All my affiliate links open new windows, and I do not use pop-ups/unders. If I am losing clicks somehow, can someone explain how?

Heard that any HTML tag that opens a new window is blocked by many ad software (blockers) as well as some of the firewall upgrades
    (Another thread, I know but could be relevant here.)

I believe that AOL 9 default setting blocks new browser (pop up calls)?

Not certain though.. just what I've heard...

A Good Friend will come bail you out of jail, but a True Friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, That Was Fun!!"

I have over 100 websites. I have always made all of my links to open in a new window. This issue had been bothering me so I finally decided to change all my links to NOT open in a new window. I did this a couple of weeks ago. I have not noticed any change in conversions at all. I guess my experiment is not really that scientific but I for one am fairly convinced that it doesn't really matter either way you do your links.

If we don't get some kool rules ourselves...... pronto........ then we'll just be bogus too.. ~Jeff Spicoli~

Over the past few months, I've been doing limited testing (non-scientifically) to see whether opening a new window makes any difference or not. So far, I've noticed no difference at all.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    I have never seen any adblocker, popup blocker, firewall and anything in that nature to block new windows opened through _blank tag.

If anyone know of a product which prevents _blank, please be specific. No rumors, please!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Here is a review of pop-up killers and it lists the ones that aren't intelligent enough to detect a clicked link that opens new window vs a pop-up.

http://www.popup-killer-review.com/i...popup-stop.htm

Goggle pop-up blocker and Alexa both do too. Not all the time but Google does it to me about 20% of the time. Alexa only occasionally and just started recently. And they are not just blocking affiliate links - they block any link that opens new window, even if it's on the site for naviation - like a newsletter sign-up box that opens in a new window.

For a long time people did not believe me, but now several others on this forum have experienced it and reported it to. Sometimes even links on this site won't get by Google and I have to press control click to link out in new windows from ABW.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    4LowRates ::ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds :: Roadloans :: More Soon!

BTW - I am not advocating that all affiliates change their links. I don't know how a big of a problem this is. It's an individual decision. I only know I have freaked when I have gone to Irvs affiliate sites and saw none of the links would open in new window because of the Google blocker.

I do not know how much of an issue this is in the big picture of things. If I ever thought it was a big enough issue to recommend not opeing new windows, I would send the warning cry in my affiliate newsletters. I have not done this yet!

I have however stopped opening new windows on my site and this is what I do to try to prevent losing people from my site.

Go to http://www.5staraffiliateprograms.com
    Mouse over Irvs Luggage on the right side menu.
    This is what I am doing with all of my links.

I am not saying change your links. I am just trying to share info and say - be aware of all the issues and make our own decisions.

5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    4LowRates ::ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds :: Roadloans :: More Soon!

ABW Ambassador
    It seems conversions are the same whether or not your links open in a new window or not. With some experiencing new windows being blocked, the possibility of it happening and the popularity of pop-up blockers rising, i think now is a good time to start making the switch. Why take the chance of having your links blocked.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

Thank you, Linda. I believe that you are right. I have replaced all my links accordingly.

huhu

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    There is a third alternative:

The point of opening in a new window is to keep the visitor while they visit your client/merchant. What you can do, is open (in the current window) is opened a framed window, where the top is your banner with a link that'll close the frames and bring you want to your site. and the bottom window is the merchaqnt. It this more annoying or less annoying than oping a new window, I don't know. But it is a compromise you can try.

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar
    Cow gifts and collectibles

BTW, I use it in my site not for merchant links, only for content links where I don't want to lose the user if he/she can't earn me money anyway.

ABW Ambassador
    So, who's the lucky affiliate that owns the domain name http://www.irvsluggage.com ? That is an affiliate PID in the redirect isn't it?

Alot of merchants do redirects upon entry to their sites and this can mess with the visitor's ability to navigate back.

Opening the link in a new window insures the visitor will see the affiliate site again when they close out the merchant site.

quote:
    So, who's the lucky affiliate that owns the domain name http://www.irvsluggage.com ? That is an affiliate PID in the redirect isn't it?

I tracked them down to: http://freedom.airborn.net/

They do a lot of web sites like the irvsluggage,through a redirect from their ads.kwrds.com.

This link is quite informative (look for 66.216.96.30):
    http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/...-9-detail.html

Looks like they depend on common misspellings for a lot of their domain names, as well as a few merchant names.

I'm pretty sure there are a few merchants who might take exception to some of the domains on that list.

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Is this a Professional value-add affiliate marketing technique? Screw page content, banners, SEO optomized pages or putting out any merchant pre-sell effort effort. Just play the domain name game and redirect with SE spamming extertise and trick e-mail spamming offers to set cookies.

This Canadian group has this down pat....

Domain Name:irvsluggage.com
    Record last updated at 2002-11-09 11:15:13
    Record created on 2001/11/20
    Record expired on 2003/11/20

Domain servers in listed order:
    ns.rackspace.com 207.235.16.2
    ns2.rackspace.com 207.71.44.121

Administrator:
    Domain Administrator no.valid.email@worldnic.net 1111111111
    Internet Hosting
    3575 University St.
    Montreal,QC,Canada H3A2B1

Technical Contactor:
    Domain no.valid.email@worldnic.net 1111111111
    Internet Hosting
    3575 University St.
    Montreal,QC,Canada 234567

Billing Contactor:
    Domain Administrator no.valid.email@worldnic.net 1111111111
    Internet Hosting
    3575 University St.
    Montreal,QC,Canada H3A2B1

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Whats to think about opening up links in new windows?

If you don't = no possibility of being blocked
    If you do = possibility of being blocked

Seems like a simple decision to me. Especially when people have posted and studies have shown that conversion rates are basically the same both ways and 1 way there is a possibility of it happening and happening more in the future.

Trust, you are always so level headed and sensible. Your last comment sure make sense to me!

Kelly interesting find. What's weird is I have only seen that domain name once and didn't even catch that it was an affiliates at the time.

When Haiko finally release the Prize press release http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/9/prweb81659.htm I initally freaked because he got the Irvs url wrong. When I clicked it, I expected it to go to a 404, but it went to Irvs so I was relieved. Didn't even notice it was an affiliate link, just made the assumption Irvs owned that domain too, which would make sense.

This affiliate isn't doing a whole lot of sales for Irvs. All I can say at this point is DUBM move Irvs for not already registering and protecting a domain name that you obviously should have had all along.

ABW Ambassador
    My thoughts,

I suspect that by now most surfers know that you can right click on a page and open it in a new window. There is no need for me to do that for them.

Coupon sites need to open links in new windows because people forget to write down the coupon.

The one area where people really need to open things in new windows is when a site encourages comparison shopping. However, I think it is better just to remind the user that they can right click and open the site in a new window.

For me the big issue is whether or not I am trying to develop repeat traffic, or if I aim to be just some that people fall into by mistake when they do a Google search. To develop repeat traffic, I think the best approach is to be a good netizen and let the user take control...so no frames, no new windows, just straight good citizenship.

sound thinking

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread