ABW Ambassador
    Hi,

I saw in the latest email from linkshare where they discussed some search engine optimization topics.

One thing they metioned that caught my eye was how keywords near the top have more importance and that javascript code could end up reducing the importance of your real keywords.

1) Can anybody else expand on this? I'm wondering if this is the case, if it will help if you forget code realability and put as much as possible on a single line. Is the "top centric bias of keywords" based on "line numbers" or the "actual deepness of characters"?

2) Is there a way to determine that the caller is a search engine spider and in that case not include the javascript code?

In my case, I have a long javascript section that detects if a user is infected with a parasite and if so, issues a pop-under informing them of details of it. I could care less if this crawled by the search engine so if I could detect the search engine as a spider and do a conditional include would this help?

3) One other alternative just mentioned by my girlfried would be to include the file from a directory not allowed access by the robots.txt file. Hmmmmmm. Would this work? Or, would an include on a specific file not allowed access to screw up the entire indexing done by the search engine?

Any help or suggestions regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

[ 08-20-2002: Message edited by: happypoon ]

1) Most people agree that it's the first 100 chars or so that really count and that if your text is seriously far down the page then it has less relevance. There are no hard and fast rules but I like to keep my head sections under 5-6 lines and start every page with an h1 tag that mirrors the title which naturally includes your keywords.

I find it works very well for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2) Is there a way to determine that the caller is a search engine spider and in that case not include the javascript code?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forget this now. It's a lot of work for nothing: Put you JS in an external file and link to it in the head of your document. SE's won't follow it, and have no interested in reading or indexing the contents of script tags anyway.

This way you'll push your content nicely up the page. Do this for your CSS also.

3) You don't need to even consider it. The above solution covers it nicely.

Good luck [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Nick

[ 08-20-2002: Message edited by: Nick W ]

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks a bunch for the great info!

You're most welcome. Bear in mind that the answers to most SEO type questions arn't nearly as complex as people make out... It's just a matter of building pages with:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Good document structure
    <LI>Keywords in title, description, h1 tag and first paragraph of text
    <LI>Eliminating all uneeded code or exporting it out of the document, and
    <LI>keeping pages light...[/list]

Nick

ABW Ambassador
    Can you put your javascript in a .js file? That way the search engines would only see the actual function calls. Excluding the .js in robots.txt would prevent search engines from trying to index it.

BTW, the biggest problem I have is that search engines seem to enjoy my navigation bars more than the content of the files. They also really love the alt text for banner images at the top of the page.

ABW Ambassador
    Take the alt text out of the banner ads or make it more keyword rich - if the alt text is the first thing the spiders come across, then it is seen as important. If it isn't important to your page, ditch it.

The nav bar - I guess this is an html nav bar in the left hand column of a table and appears higher up the code than the main content, right ? If so, you can swap this around using css or use the table trick. I can never get html to work on this board, so either someone else will have to post how this works or you can PM me !

Okay folks, I'm such a rabid, fanatical CSS advocate I've knocked up a 'bare bones' 3 column css example for you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

You'll see that it's pretty basic and needs to be 'prettified' but it will give any that are interested a push in the right direction....

Enjoy...

Nick

Nick W,

Is the CSS 3 panel example suitable for most Browsers?

Do the top 3 lines stay exactly as you have them coded?

Thanks,

Jim in Texas [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Following this thread about hiding script code....

What does the following accomplish? SiteMeter uses this around their code. Note the Top and Bottom lines of code...

< !--WEBBOT bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan ALT="Site Meter" -->

<*scrip* some script code in here... blah blah blah....

< !-- Copyright 2002 Site Meter -->
    < !--WEBBOT bot="HTMLMarkup" Endspan -->

Jim in Texas

ABW Ambassador
    The CSS example sounds interesting. I will give it a try on some web pages and see how the search engines like it. If I put the CSS in a support file, I will end up with some extremely clean opening text in the HTML for the search engines to read.

As for the WEBBOT thing, I've seen that in pages created with front page, so it might have something to do with front page extensions. Wish I could help more, but I try to stay away from that evil.

Jim, you just have to mess with the 3 colomn example. Change the CSS to suit. If you want the text higher/lower just change the top properties to the desired heights.

You'll find that h tags and p's have their own margins which will push them down further on the page, but that's easily sorted with something like:

h1 {
    margin: 0;
    }

Hope that helps [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Nick

Like that Nick W. Nice, very nice.

jimbet - those are just comments. Using comments in your source helps to keep the code in your page organized and well documented. It is considered best practices. In your example, it serves to help you tell where code begins and ends so you can differentiate it from other elements in your page when you are looking at the source.

{

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

Thanks Eaglefire and Nick W,

I will experiment with the 3 panel CSS model you provided.... Thanks, Nick W

On the WEBBOT post, I could see that the line was a comment to HTML, but I thought it may hold a command for spiders, etc. within it.

I think it may protect an HTML code segment from FrontPage, which would try to reconstruct it. (as in "Eating it's own Young")

Jim in Texas [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It could be used for their crawlers for compliancy or other purposes, etc. Ive seen pages which have internal comments for the author's bot's usage...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The "!--WEBBOT bot=" component is exclusive to Frontpage when you use the "insert" HTML function. It also is inserted into raw editing of the source code where FP deems it is appropriate. It tells FP not to adjust or optimize the HTML code in that section when saved. Basically an ignor command.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread