ABW Ambassador
    This one is probably for Marky Mark. A long time ago i had a site i gave up on and just used a redirect (automatically redirected after a few seconds) to one of the ones i have now. I paid to have the new one get into MSN. Now in the listings the old one has taken over the Title and Description tags and kicked my new out. This is because of the redirect isnt it?

Sounds like they are still visiting the old URL. Are you still using the re-direct - ie is it still up? Instead of using a META refresh to redirect to the new site, use .htaccess; that way the only page the search engines will find will be the new one; but it will still redirect visitors to the new site.

{

ABW Ambassador
    No i took the META refresh out, just put a text link to the new site. The new site is still listed in MSN just buried deep somewhere, next time MSN updates it should go back to the way it was.

That's still basically what I mean. If the original page weren't there anymore at all, MSN wouldn't index it - if you use .htaccess to redirect from the old URL instead of an html page, MSN should find the new page and description in place of the old one. Could also be that the new page isn't as well optimized for MSN.

{

ABW Ambassador
    Eaglefire's right - just take down the old page (unless it is giving a PR boost in Google, of course).

This is interesting because Inktomi's approach to meta refresh was either index nothing or only index the final destination site. However, what I think has happened is that with that huge database increase last month, they have included a truckload of pages they wouldn't normally bother with, including your old site's homepage. I expect that with the next update, they will start cleaning out this kind of thing and the bunch of spam that seems to have got in. So you should see that old site disappear soon-ish.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread