ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Ok, here's the story. Any thoughts/ideas you have are appreciated.

I designed this site a few years back:
    http://www.gourmetfood4u.com

My company built it very dynamically. Search engine optimization was never done. The meta tags are either non-existent or the same on every page.

I haven't been involved with the site for over a year. Now I'm back and they want me to fix it.

Problem: Google doesn't seem to want to index the pages.

Why is the question? My thoughts so far on the matter:

1. Google can read databases I know. Maybe there is something in the query strings they don't like? Don't like the .pasp pages? However, there are some static pages on the site that they aren't reading either, so...

2. www.gf4u.com, redirects to www.gourmetfood4u.com. Would google really consider this a cheat/ghost?

3. The only other possiblity is that one of the guys at my old job who did SEO stuff, really pissed off Google by running thousands of submit requests off of the hosted machine. Maybe they banned my ip? Any way to check?

So, any ideas? If it is #3, how do you suggest I go about getting back on solid ground with them? Send them a letter? Bulletin board someplace?

If anyone can solve this for me, I'll give you free 125x125 .gif banner for your business.

Thanks, Jim

All the files seem to have a .pasp extension (whatever that is). I have never seen such a file extension in any of googles results so I would say that is the problem.

I would also say that google cannot read the static pages because it cant get past the first page, the index.pasp

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: citizen powers ]

Can anyone confirm that? Or point me to a place that can confirm that for me? I wonder...

If you go to google and type in index.asp there are results with that file extension.

If you go to google and type in index.pasp theres nothing.

Firstly, a nice site Jim [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Okay on the topic now...

Without looking at your html, I can say that..

Did the site every got indexed by Google?
    If yes, then there may be the following reasons why its off the database now

1. The Robots.txt file is not ok and is not letting the spiders get in.

2. A link to the site is now dropped which caused google to drop it from her database.

3. Someone,as you told played foul and got the site banned.

Firstly check the above..

Try getting the site a couple of good links from resoures like Dmoz and Yahoo.

Remmember, google will only list your site if it is linked from a domain already in Google's database.

If things still don't fix, try emailing Google telling them the situation. It's a bit time taking, but usually sites get back,once you have cleaned up anything which are the "don'ts" of webmasters.

Redirection, may not have caused this problem imo.

I neglected to mention that the site is in google, somewhat.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr= &ie=ISO-8859-1&q=www.gourmetfood4u.com

Now click on the site that link to it, and you'll see it does hold about 10 of the pages. But why wouldn't it get everything then?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Firstly, a nice site Jim
    Okay on the topic now...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! One of my best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Did the site every got indexed by Google? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It did obviously, see above, but I guess not very well. Remember, this site was left for dead for over a year, can you believe that? Argh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>1. The Robots.txt file is not ok and is not letting the spiders get in. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Checking on that, but I don't think there are any in there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2. A link to the site is now dropped which caused google to drop it from her database.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very big possibility. A return link only shows links from itself and one other page.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Try getting the site a couple of good links from resoures like Dmoz and Yahoo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in Yahoo for sure, I know that. Dmoz...Yes.
    http://dmoz.org/Shopping/Food/Specialty_and_Gourmet/

So, it's either the .pasp issue, the link pop issue, a bad robot.txt, or the "google is pissed" issue.

I'm trying to investigate the .pasp one now, first.

[edited to change the dmoz was listed]

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: AffiliateMakeover.com ]

Well, the site is in Google - http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...=gourmetfood4u

so I would say there is some issue with the dynamic pages that is preventing Google from indexing the rest of the website. I've seen it happen with PHPNuke even though I am told Google doesn't have an issue with query strings. Perhaps the unusual file ext is throwing an extra wrench in the works but I don't think that is the case.

Jim, there are scripts for PHP and Coldfusion that use Regular Expressions to change query strings to "/" instead of "=" "?" "&"; I am sure they can be adapted to whatever you're using on that site (some sort of asp?). I use a tag on my Coldfusion sites and google just loves 'em... spidered and got the pages into the very next index after I applied it.

{

Hi Eaglefire,
    Whats a tag (sorry if this is a daft question)???? As you know I have problems with Google finding my other pages but I dont suffer the problems that Jim has but then again I have a lot of inbound links and high ratings (all my keywords in top 5 listings and pr of 5) but my pages are not being put in the system, I hope the NONChace suggestion you made helps out.

Jim, hope you get your problems sorted at least you are on the best forum for that.

regards John

Sorry John - in this case I was referring to a Custom Tag in Coldfusion. A custom tag is sort of a cross between an include and a class.

{

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread