ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Overture search suggestion tool results:
    Count: 151548
    Search Term: dell computer

Wordtracker results:
    Count: 2884

Hmmm... Overture allows third party auto checkers to spam the search suggestion tool 24 hours a day, inflating the numbers.

Result: Marketers believe the word is more valuable because of the bogus count, bidding becomes fierce, bid price rises, overture makes more money, marketers pay too much for inaccurate results.

Am I off base on this? I once emailed them asking them to comment, but they never responded.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the word is more valuable because of the bogus count, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some people indeed do think that way, but it's a misconception that empties a lot of wallets.

What makes a keyword valuable in PPC bidding is NOT the raw numbers of visitors it can churn, but how well that traffic converts to sales. You need a solid understanding of what your average traffic is worth on a per-visitor basis, and you need to set your bidding limits according to the profits you calculate from your new traffic. If you set your bids according to what the competition is doing instead of what makes sense for you, you're likely to go broke. In this case, the busier the search term, the more dangerous it is! On the other hand, a PPC campaign where the bid amounts are clearly related to conversion rates can put money in your pocket for a long time.

That said, it is definitely frustrating that Overture's search numbers are not more trustworthy. A few places you can get second opinions are Google, 7Search, FindWhat, and of course, WordTracker.

Free Classifieds for Your Website

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AffiliateMakeover.com:
    Overture search suggestion tool results:
    Count: 151548

Wordtracker results:
    Count: 2884

Hmmm... Overture allows third party auto checkers to spam the search suggestion tool 24 hours a day, inflating the numbers.

Result: Marketers believe the word is more valuable because of the bogus count, bidding becomes fierce, bid price rises, overture makes more money, marketers pay too much for inaccurate results.

Am I off base on this? I once emailed them asking them to comment, but they never responded.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jimbo,

I am 1,000% behind you on this .... I know it is a scam and a half, Ive seen it and can prove part of it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Haiko

<font size="2" face="Verdana"> The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli</font>

Kanoodle (my favourite PPC engine still) has a keyword tool which gives:

Term: "dell computer"
    Searches: "1726"
    Clicks: "29"

That's for the whole of June. Just "Dell" gets 11624 and 686 clicks.

Dynamoo.com - CreepyGuy - Poozleanimus

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread