Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I see where one of my merchants has put Google AdSense on their affiliate landing page.

Need I say what I'm about to do .

How 'bout it Todd, is CJ permitting this? They're sticking it to CJ as well as the publisher. PM me if you want to know who since I've kinda quite yelling about the slackards in public.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Leakage .diversion tactics, 800# -BHO's -e-mail campaigns where cookies get overwritten, sister site non-commissionable links, internal Cybermall with their own affiliate links, on/off cart tracking switch and now AdSense. Some Damn merchants aren't any but traffic hijacking affiliates. CJ and 3rd world network merchants get away with this, since they're buried in with hundreds of other losers in the group stats. After 3 months CJ should give the merchants not exceeding monthly network minimums a 60 day deactivation notice. Too many 250.00 a month budgeted CPM advertisers in that pool.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Unfortunately Cj really doesn't have any authority to tell a merchant what type of advertising they can put on their sites. We however have a right to decide who we are going to work with.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Any merchant who needs to put adsense on their retail site is probably not one to partner with.

As a merchant, if you've worked hard to attract a visitor - close the sale. Don't send them away for a few pennies from Adsense.

Just like there are affiliates that do stupid things like drive-by gator installs, there are merchants that do dumb things too.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com
    It's not just underwear, it's fun to wear!

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

ABW Ambassador
    A merchant with adsense on their site is a sign of desperation to me. Probably will see them on the deactivated merchant list soon.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

Hey Whiznot - why are you protecting the merchant? Why not just tell us who it is? They deserve to be outed.

ABW Ambassador
    These merchants will serve to educate their affiliates about Adsense.

CJ may be happy with the minimum fees such merchants must pay each month, but at the same time losing more and more publishers made aware of better income alternatives by such merchant examples.

One of the Adsense rules is you can't put it on pages with alot of other advertising. Many Publishers are then left to decide whether to make very little or nothing feeding lots of Non-sense Merchant Programs, or making decent money with Ad-sense.

quote:
    Originally posted by Dignan:
    Hey Whiznot - why are you protecting the merchant? Why not just tell us who it is? They deserve to be outed.
    I agree, anytime I find a merchant with even their own affiliate links on the page they're history as fast as I can replace the pages. Running AdSense is even worse - it indicates to me that they have no confidence in converting even their direct traffic, so they'd be gone. I still have Amazon links, but have not added a new one since they started with the extra come ons.

It's a wonder that anything gets through some of these merchants. I do like the idea about having a minimum monthly commission payout quota, that would be something that CJ could enforce easy enough. Payout X amount per month, or you're outta here!

That would clean out all the mildew at CJ in short order. Then if they would get rid of the publishers that take other publisher's commissions...

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    All you got to do is check your merchants' (advertisers') landing pages. This particular merchant has only one so they'd be easy to find. In recent months revenue from this merchant has fallen to almost nothing ... that should be another clue.

I don't want to lose the respect of the merchants that I work with that play by the rules, and get a reputation as a whistle blower or a loaded gun. Hope you understand.

Besides, it would be interesting to learn how many merchants are doing this, so I encourage everyone to start looking for it.

I also hope CJ will take action against all advertisers that decide to wave AdSense at their affiliate referrals and siphon off the traffic. So this is a test for CJ as well as the wayward merchant. Let's see what happens.

Hey, if nothing else, I won't feel so guilty when I drop AdSense all over the site that was feeding this merchant and remove their affiliate links. I've been trying to play it cool with AdSense, but when things like this happen I feel compelled to play the AdSense card myself.

I agree that the Adsense should not be included in the retail area of any affiliate program.

In our case: We just added Adsense to our service but not in any affiliate retail sections (most of our software affiliate programs have section areas that are all self contained). We added the Adsense ads in our free cut & paste code sections, & free resource sections to offset the bandwidth usage these areas receive.

To my amazement, the Adsense program is actually creating a fair amount of click through's in these sections.

But, I would never put these ads in any affiliate traffic area. Definite no-no.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

I am sure this is an isolated issue. I can't imagine advertisers putting adsense on their sites - they are more interested in converting the traffic into customers.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    I am sure this is an isolated issue. I can't imagine advertisers putting adsense on their sites - they are more interested in converting the traffic into customers.

.... "real advertisers", yes!

Some who aren't that "real" could easily make their minimum back in adsense clicks and still stay active whilst "giving the business to" (nice term for F***ing) real Publishers who unknowingly promote the merchant ... makes me only think where is the merchant compliance spider?

Shoot, I could tell some scary stories about a few of them, but that is another thread

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

I tend to agree with Todd & Haiko on this one. No "professional business" merchant is intentionally going to send their traffic elsewhere to convert to a sale.

As Haiko said .. well .. them types are around.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I've been fooled. The ads aren't Google AdSense, they're just made up to look exactly like Google AdWords. They link to other websites, presumably owned by this merchant. So maybe this is worse than AdSense in that it siphons off traffic just as effectively as AdSense but without carrying the affiliates' code with it.

Todd, I'm going to drop you a PM or email about this merchant right now. Hope you can take a look at them and tell me if there's any tricks. You can post your reply on the forum if you wish, or by PM.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Whiznot,

I have to agree that is even worth. Not knowing which merchant in particular I could think of some at CJ who I don't necessarily consider "real" merchants who might do the AdSense thing. But then I rethought about where you would have a merchant like that on your site to begin with.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

I'm assuming the merchant doesn't convert sales for you. If that is true then who cares what ads they run. Just drop them like you would any merchant that can't make money.

Make your time

ABW Ambassador
    The problem I see here is that many "so called merchants" are nothing more than affilliates in disguise.

The only thing that separates a merchant and an affiliate is if you're willing to pay a network fee to be listed as a merchant and we know CJ's position on this. As long as this is allowed don't be surprised with anything you see!

There needs to be a clearer set of rules for sites to qualify as a merchant but as long as you're willing to pay the network fee - they don't really seem care what your business model is.

===================================
    Child labor laws exist yet, parasite partnering merchants (PP Merchants) and the COC allow an adult affiliates income to be diverted into the pockets of parasites and consider it normal business!

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants and the COC directly supports what many consider unfair trade practices, identity theft and thievery!

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, Ms. B, I'm very selective these days about what merchants I put on my site. One problem I've had to deal with in the past year or so is watching many merchants that used to be OK head into a death spiral and suck your traffic right down the hopper with them before you can respond.

I've never had a single one say "hey, were struggling to stay in business so we advise you to start sending your traffic somewhere else".

Just Lurking
    quote:
    Originally posted by BLFH (Ms. B):
    We however have a right to decide who we are going to work with.

I think this must be one of those Golden Rules. It seems to either solve most problems affiliates face or keeps you out of trouble to being with.

ABW Ambassador
    I have noticed a merchant doing this as well. If it is the same one that whiznot is speaking of, I'll give you a hint... it is an "affiliate merchant" - that offers 5% commish... has a vast catalogging of products... shhhh! don't tell anyone!

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

ABW Ambassador
    I think Big Chuck is referring to CatalogCity with their sponsored links sections.

I don't know why Todd can't imagine why merchants would do such a thing. They want to make more money, and as one merchant has relayed ...how amazing it is that so many people are clicking those sponsored ads, even in less prominent sections of their website.

I can't imagine why CJ does alot of things they do ...but they do.

Applaud a dollar, and boo any good cents.

ABW Ambassador
    Selling an ad space, so that visitors can go to the advertizer's site and not buy from their own site, is an indication that business is not doing well - that they themselves are not selling that much.

I think I've even seen affiliate sites as advertizers. Why on earth would they want their sales to go to the competition?

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >I think I've even seen affiliate sites as
    >advertizers.

I think you've never been to visit magazinecity.net (CJ advertiser) before.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by kelly626:
    I think Big Chuck is referring to CatalogCity with their _sponsored links_ sections.

I don't know why Todd can't imagine why merchants would do such a thing. They want to make more money, and as one merchant has relayed ...how amazing it is that so many people are clicking those sponsored ads, even in less prominent sections of their website.

I can't imagine why CJ does alot of things they do ...but they do.

Applaud a dollar, and boo any good cents.
    This sponsored link(s) was on a landing page for a product.

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast