ABW Ambassador
    There is an interesting thread on webmaster world about the changes to Yahoo that are currently going on. The changes started appearing on Sunday.

Basically, it says that the Google logo and link has been removed from Yahoo's site and it's been replaced with unlinked text that says "Search Technology Provided by Google." There are also several observations noting that the web page matches in Yahoo and Google are no longer matching up (some are, but some aren't). There is also speculation about what this means to the Yahoo/Google partnership and if this will effect Inktomi users.

It's a long thread, but it's pretty interesting. Here is the link:
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum35/861-5-15.htm

Cheers,
    Kip [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hmm... it's certainly not using the live database any more.

Frankly I'd not be too unhappy if Yahoo did switch to FAST, but I guess there's a load of speculation at the moment with the contract coming up again.

dynamoo.com - geeky stuff for umm geeks.

ABW Ambassador
    I just wish I knew how this was going to affect sites in their directory. I was hoping to submit a site this week, but until I know what weight they are going to give to their directory web sites and where these will fall on the Yahoo page I'm holding off.

Kip [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    That was a long thread for pretty much no information - here's what I think.

Yahoo and Google look like they are keeping their partnership.

The lack of a clickable link to Google is down to two things - i) Yahoo don't want to send visitors to their biggest rival

ii) Google don't really need the brand awareness any longer.

The integration of Yahoo and Google results has been going on longer than a few days - they were showing Yahoo titles and descriptions on the 'web page' results a few days ago, for example.

I think a lot is being read into this 'search technology provided by Google' text. While it may prove to be the case that Yahoo are licensing the technology to run their own search engine, I don't think it is worth the time or effort. What they will be doing, I expect, is giving more emphasis to their own directory results and not less in that Yahoo titles and descriptions will be used in place of Google snippets where possible and there will be a link back into the categories part of the Yahoo directory.

This isn't speculation, as they did this for a few days last week.

When seemingly odd things happen at search engines, people tend to notice discrepancies a lot more. There have been slight discrepancies between Yahoo and Google results since Yahoo started using Google and with Google currently updating their SERPs more regular, these are obviously going to be more pronounced. The fact that people are noticing and commenting on this now is down to the fact more people are looking for this kind of thing.

So submit your sites to Yahoo like always. Here endeth the lesson [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    From the mouth's of real experts comes real advice. Trust MarkyMark to have the SE game down to a science.

WebMaster Mike

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread