ABW Ambassador
    I'm redoing my meta tags for a site and just wanted to know peoples suggestions for how many characters should be in each tag. Primarily the title, description and keywords.

May all your ups and downs be in bed

ABW Ambassador
    http://searchengineposition.com has very informative articles on this subject.

The 'google' capsule is of particular interest. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

AS SEEN ON SE!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Not sure of the accuracy of some of that information. For instance, it says that Google is case sensitive, it isn't. What they actually mean is that plurals and singular forms of words are not seen as being the same word.

As for number of characters in meta and title tags, I have no idea of the answer to this. I would suggest that your title tag doesn't go over however many characters the browser displays as it will look silly.

It is really all about position and density - I personally use short keyword tags (maybe 8 to 10 words on average), long titles (if possible) and short description tags. I just try to keep the density high and the description readable and clickable.

When I started out optimising sites, I read avidly about optimum number of words and characters - but it is all rubbish. You can have hundreds of words in your keyword tag if you like - it won't help you rank and you'll get a penalty. As I said, it is all about density and the position of the words in relation to one another.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    I generally limit myself to 255 characters. This is the standard limit on a varchar in many database engines. Notice that many directories will display only the first 255 characters of a page.

255 = 2^8 - 1.

255 is the maximum amount of text that you reference with a one byte index. As most search engines are programming for speed, I think they keep this in mind limit themselves to 255 character blocks...at least I do when I write programs.

Missoula - Short Stories

ABW Ambassador
    I am playing with the evaluation edition of HTMLValidator.

Anyway, this was on their suggestion sheet. They suggested under 200 for description and between 100 and 80o for keywords

"[107] The web page description contains 224 characters. AI Internet Solutions recommends a maximum of 200 characters (about 25 words). Consider reducing the description's length."

"[107] The keywords contain only 100 characters. AI Internet Solutions recommends a minimum of 100 characters. The recommended maximum is 800 characters. Consider increasing the number of keywords."

Missoula - Short Stories

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread