I understand Wordtracker can give you a list of common misspelled keywords. I was wondering if anyone has tried including them in their list of keywords and if so, have you been able to determine if it helped?

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I've done pretty well with jewellery, jewellry and jewlery....so yeah, go for it. Just track search phrases in your referrals logs and you will see.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I always try to catch the common misspellings of things. And yes, it helps.

BUT Wordtracker doesn't give a "list" of "common misspelled words" as far as I know. The Misspellings Search returns misspellings and variants of whatever you type in on that screen, not a static list of common misspellings.

Absolutely!

I actually target a number of popular misspellings and they pay very well!

Pay particular attention to common British/American differences such as cheque/check or flavour/flavor and you will be surprised at the search engine response.

Also look at common phonetic errors and a lucrative extra income stream opens up. I currently bag an extra $400-500 per month due to two simple and common spelling mistakes!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I currently bag an extra $400-500 per month due to two simple and common spelling mistakes!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As bad as my spelling is I should easily be able to double that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I was just visiting a site today and at the bottom of the page it said:

This is a site about ...... (and it listed all their keywords)

Then it said: Keyword spelling errors are intentional.

Now, I think this looks terrible on a web site. If I was going to do it, I'd do it in a text color that was the same as the background so no one would see it.

However, it did get me thinking, has anyone tried something like this, putting your best keywords right on your homepage and if so, how did it work?

What about putting them there and hiding them.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now, I think this looks terrible on a web site. If I was going to do it, I'd do it in a text color that was the same as the background so no one would see it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would get you banned from the SE's quicker than you can say Fashun Accesorees.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eaglefire:

That would get you banned from the SE's quicker than you can say Fashun Accesorees.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lolol rotflmoa

If you try to please everybody, someone won't like it -Rumsfeld

I accidentally misspelled a word in a search today and was automatically thrown by google to the correct spelled word and subsequent web pages.

That's the first time that has happened to me - usually there will be a message "did you mean ____?"

Abigail

Abigail that happened to me the other day but it was because there were no results for the mis-spelled word. I briefly saw a page that said something like "no results for ___ taking you to _____" then I was automatically re-directed. Maybe that's what happened to you.

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

It was a really strange looking page, actually, smaller fonts and black and reds predominately - not the usually blue look. Very odd.

And for the life of me I can't remember the word, I was busy setting up my weekly newsletter and wandered on to google looking to confirm some info. The incident went by me until this thread made me think of it again.

Abigail

ABW Ambassador
    try searching on circsus -- that should do it. They've had this "feature" for a while now, but I haven't made up my mind if it just annoys me or if it annoys and assists me.

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

I accidentally misspelled the name of one of my merchants on a page or two. Did I change it? Nope, 'cause I noticed a lot of searchers make the very same mistake.
    [edited for an, ahem, misspelling!]
    J

ABW Ambassador
    That feature at Google only redirects if there are no results for the misspelling so it isn't too much of a pain.

The spell check thing at msn.com (which is on by default) is a nightmare, however. Do a search for superbowl odds and you'll see it automatically 'corrects' your spelling and sends you results for super bowl (two words) odds. I am certain that superbowl is one word. Interestingly enough, while msn.co.uk have the same feature, it doesn't work in the same way and will return results for superbowl odds even with the spell check turned on.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread