Has anyone had any experience, or heard any old webmasters tales about how well a .info domain would rank compared to .com or .net? I've heard it said that all things being equal, a .com will rank higher than a .net. Any guesses where .info will fall in this equation.
    Equally, does anyone have a feel for how much the extention really plays in the various weightings - or is it really inconsequential?

Tom

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> or is it really inconsequential? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, it is really inconsequential. The extension to your domain name has no relevance to the search query someone maybe using and thus no extension is favoured over any other.

I'm getting tired of the rubbish SEO forums, articles and self-proclaimed experts churn out. The idea that a .com has any precedence over any other extension is a myth. Trust me on this.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    I've seen .info domains at #1 for some hotly competitive terms, so if you have a dot-info domain just work on standard good promotion and it will rise in the ranks.

The one place where I believe a .com domain can have a significant advantage is in offline advertising, where people will have to type in your URL rather than just click a link. Dot-com is a cliché that some folks end up typing almost automatically. Hey, I've done that and I was the owner of the .net page I intended to look at!

ABW Ambassador
    The only time I have noticed a difference between my domain extensions (I have .co.uk, .com & .net) is for my .co.uk sites in Searches specifying UK as country. Whether the .co.uk is given preference in these searches, or whether it is just the fact that uk is in the address (and therefore a kind of keyword) is a different question, but it definetely makes a difference for UK queries.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

You've got a better chance of getting a good domain name with .info and .biz. It's a question of prestige I guess, and SEs don't care much about that. Good keywords in the site title are more important for SEs.

To drift off the point, I'd personally rank them from a human perspective as follows:

.com
    .us, .co.uk, .de, .ca etc
    .info
    .biz
    .org
    .net

dynamoo.com - geeky stuff for umm geeks.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Whether the .co.uk is given preference in these searches, or whether it is just the fact that uk is in the address (and therefore a kind of keyword) is a different question <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason is that when doing a 'uk only query', the search engines only return sites from the UK. It used to be the case that they just stripped out all non .uk sites, but the search engines have got more sophisticated and now also use IP address and other factors to determine the country of origin.

whether you have a .com , .net , .org , .info , .biz , it really doesn't matter on SE rankings.

I rank domain differently.

.com
    .co.uk or other country domain
    .net
    .org
    .info
    .biz

Check out Albino Freebies

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    The reason is that when doing a 'uk only query', the search engines only return sites from the UK. It used to be the case that they just stripped out all non .uk sites, but the search engines have got more sophisticated and now also use IP address and other factors to determine the country of origin.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marky,
    I believe my .co.uk sites are hosted in Germany or Holland (1&1 hosting). How can the SE's tell country of origin if not by .co.uk? would IP not return a found in Holland response to a se query?

Andy Williams

ABW Ambassador
    Uh, I didn't explain too well. IP address is one factor used to determine a UK site. .co.uk is always seen as a UK site no matter where it is hosted.

ABW Ambassador
    thanks Marky. Maybe it was me not undetstanding too well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Andy Williams

Yes, Google always counts my sites as UK even though they're .com (and the fact that the affiliate sites hardly carry any UK stuff).

dynamoo.com - geeky stuff for umm geeks.

ABW Ambassador
    &gt;I rank domain differently.
    .com
    .co.uk or other country domain
    .net
    .org
    .info
    .biz

ADD
    .us for USA sites

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread