I am curious how the SE masters would optimize this page?

web page

I, and many of the lurkers/newbies, would love to see your suggestions.

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

ABW Ambassador
    Well. I am no search engine master but....

For me, the only thing that works consistently very well is concentrating on a single keyword phrase per page (that is being searched for regularly). I notice fishing is your first keyword in meta tags. Is that the most important keyword for this page? If not, put the most important one first.

Then you need to sprinkle helpings of keyword phrases throughout the text to give you the required density/prominence.

Doing a quick check I would suggest that no single keyword for this page would enable it to be found in the search engines. Probably the only thing it might be found for is the term "Land Rover", but with 686,000 competing sites at Google for this term I would suggest that the way this page currently stands, it would never be found for that term either. Even if by some miracle it was found for Land Rover, I doubt anyone who found it would be interested in anything on your site - they are probably looking for info on Land Rovers, not holidays.

Sorry if this all sounds harsh, but you need to identify keywords/phrases and optimise pages around them if they are to be found. You have not done this and rely only on META TAGS which are only a tiny part of the equation - and for some search engines, not even that.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    Well, for starters, what search terms(s) are you hoping this page will be found for? That's not clear to me.

On a different note, FroggToggs at CJ might be a good addition to your merchant mix.

Keywords and I don't mean the tag I mean text on your page displayed in your browser, need to reflect the theme of your site.

I would choose to use words like adventure outfitter, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, squirrel knabbing, and bear tickeling. Subjects of vast interest like Steve Erwin (crocodile hunter) would help boost visits to your site tremendously.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Nice site and looks like you guys have a lot of fun!!

Ok, if for instance I wanted to be found for the words "Outdoor Expedition" these would be some of the things I would change:

Check out the News = Check out the the latest Outdoor Expedition News

And then maybe add a small paragraph about what can be found there.

CHECKLISTS = Outdoor Expedition Checklists

small paragraph underneath - what you can't leave home without on your next outdoor expedition....

or:

For more info and pictures click here. = For more info and pictures on this fishing trip click here.

Stuff like that. Figure out what words your audience is searching on and add those in places like the examples.

You do a lot of neat things, know what you are talking about and can word it a lot better than me but you get the idea...

Good Luck!!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

she was tired of being poor, and she wasn't into selling door to door.... CSN

Right, lot's of stuff about keywords said already so I'll not repeat them...

Here's my angle:

Dump those comments at the top of your page, and dump 90% of the keywords tag. No search engine worth worrying about uses them anyway.

Dump the useless meta ('generated by' and 'author') etc

The above all push your actually content further away from the search engines eye.

Then, Put a keyphrase as your title tag and mirror it with an h1 tag as the first (or almost first) line of code under your body tag...

Nick

Tioka Internet // Web design & SEO

>>I would choose to use words like adventure outfitter, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, squirrel knabbing, and bear tickeling.<<

How about squirrel tickling and bear nabbing? Sorry, couldn't resist. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The comments here are right on - you need to focus on where you want to be in the search engines (in other words, what words you want to show up for) and optimize the text accordingly (and, of course, remember the H1 tags and alt tags too!). That said, I've found that optimizing the home page for a fairly large site is often difficult unless it's really, really niche-y. Although my home page is the most visited page on the site, it's not via the search engines - my inner pages get all the SE traffic because I've been very specific with them, optimization-wise.

J

Good suggestions, I thank everyone who put in a word or two.

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

I'd suggest that it's not worth worrying about optimizing this page, but concentrate instead on creating pages that link to/from it that are individually optimized for keywords/phrases.

Decide/find the right words to target, then create the content to hit them. One page at a time. Looks like you've got enough experience/material there to create a page for many items of kit, activities, places, etc.

Stewart Hutton | Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    I would have to disagree with Crazy Guy. Homepages get an extra rating bonus for being homepages so if optimized properly around good keywords, you could get great positions in the SEs.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread