I just read through the FAQs at Alexa, and I believe I understand that Alexa ranks sites from #1 (the top traffic producer) and up, with larger rankings being representative of less traffic. So, a site with a rank of 425,000 for instance would be the 425,000th most popular site in Alexa's eyes. This is based on the people with the Alexa toolbar on their computer. Right?

OK, so how in the heck can sites with rankings of around 19,000 in Alexa have a page rank of 1 or 2 on Google? Alexa's search is powered by Google, but how can a site with a high traffic ranking on Alexa have such a poor page rank on Google?

Also, where would a site have to be to be a good performer on Alexa? In the first 100,000? Or lower than that?

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    There is more to the Internet than google?

Once a site gets so big, people know of it and go to it without having to search for it. Would you search for priceline.com?

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> how in the heck can sites with rankings of around 19,000 in Alexa have a page rank of 1 or 2 on Google<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One answer would be that the site was penalised by Google at some point.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    The toolbar is very biased to certain areas, Korea is popular...

All in all its way too small a sample to be accurate for anything more than fun. Download the bar and hit your own site a few thousand times.. you'll probably be able to influence it if its ranked not so high to begin with...

Also, PR really is different than traffic...

BTW- alexa is considered "spyware" , also it may be included in the newest IE6 fix. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

2c

PageRank is *fundamentally* different from the Alexa rank.. PageRank is based on the number and quality of inbounds links, whereas the Alexa rank is based on recorded visitors.

Yes, the Alexa toolbar is spyware (it wouldn't work if it wasn't). To a slightly lesser extent so is the Google toolbar.

Alexa is not very accurate, but it does give you a ballpark figure feeling about a site. It *is* a good BS detector though.. if someone says that they get 10,000 uniques a day but Alexa ranks them at 2.5 million then you know someone is BSing you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

dynamoo.com - geeky stuff for umm geeks.

Thanks everyone.

I don't have the Alexa bar installed, and I don't want it because of some of the implications installation brings with it.

I don't think the sites with Google PR of 1 or 2 were penalized, but I don't know that they weren't, so it's hard to tell.

Just another one of the great mysteries of the Internet!

Andy

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread