... that Google also uses web site updating as one of the parameters to rank the sites?

I have a web site that was very high ranked for a keyphrase a few months ago. I didn't change a thing on the site since then (I kind of forgot about it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) and now I can't find it on Google using the same keyphrase (at least not in top 50)?

Could this be what I think it is or has Google just changed ranking rules so much in the past 5-6 months?

YOURsoft - worlds 1st dealware scripts!

ABW Ambassador
    My guess would be that Google looks at the 'freshness' of a site when ranking.

Who wants to look at a site that has't been updated for years?

Did you try searching for your site using the domain name rather than a keyword?

I find that if I don't update my content sites for a while I get less traffic from Goole.

Just my 2c [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-----------
    JoKe-ZoNe
    -----------

ABW Ambassador
    Yup, freshness is a factor in the algo. From what I can tell, it has become very important in the last two months or so. It seems that daily ranking changes are based on the freshness of the page combined with on-page optimisation. Link pop isn't so important here, although it does set the parameters of how high or low you can rank.

At least that's what I think at the moment and I've been testing this all month.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Some of the pages that I have been updating recently have the date next to them on the Google search results (these pages were already in google). I guess this is related. Wonder if it would help to keep a page 'fresh' by having auto updating content on it (eg: a newsfeed) or if this would have no effect as it uses javascript and the text may not be 'read' by google?

I guess updating some of my older pages with some fresh content might be a good idea too.

ABW Ambassador
    A newsfeed wouldn't do it, for the reasons you have suggested (javascript). One of my competitors over here does have an automatically updating home page.

The home page shows the last three search terms used to find the site. They have an .asp script that strips everything out of the referrer string except the search phrase and this is displayed via SSI on the home page.

It's quite brilliant really, because all the phrases that people use to find the site are search engine optimisation related - so that keeps the keyword density high and the page updates with every new visitor. Nice simple script too.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Thanks for making me sure - so "freshness" is a factor.

That with ASP+SSI and search terms is a great idea, will make one for my site(s) too!

Not so fast!
    I have a site hosted on free space and I lost FTP access to it many months ago.. the site is still up but hasn't been updated for months.. I didn't worry about it, was only a few pages and never made any sales.. until now.. started making good sales this month.. go figure

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markymark:
    The home page shows the last three search terms used to find the site. They have an .asp script that strips everything out of the referrer string except the search phrase and this is displayed via SSI on the home page.

It's quite brilliant really, because all the phrases that people use to find the site are search engine optimisation related - so that keeps the keyword density high and the page updates with every new visitor. Nice simple script too.

http://www.1design4life.co.uk - 1 Design 4 Life<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an interesting idea. Unfortunately I have no knowledge beyond the basics of html however. Is it easy to learn how to do this?

You will need some basic ASP (or PHP or CGI) knowledge but it takes time to learn this... SSI commands are very simple though but can't help you without a script.

I will try to write something in Perl (CGI) and maybe give you a copy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Would having the time change work? Or is there some easy html code someone could use or won't that count??

Nope, can't be done with HTML, it's not powerful enough. If ya have time try learning CGI (or PHP or ASP) ... http://www.cgi101.com/class/ this one isa good one for CGI beginners.

It's nice that you have the will and the time, but I'd suggest a cup of coffe anyway [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread