Hello One and all,

Well after 10 months of hard work and help from people on here its all just went down the toilet. This month update (so far) has been a disater for me.

I have lost some of my main key words and due to this I expect to see airport transfers fall during the next few months. The work coming from the internet has been very good, from transporting TV crews, tourists or even courier services.

I dont understand what has went wrong. Googlebot has not been on my site for a good few weeks and even then only visited one page.

Even now it has a date of 27th sept but still no chached page.

I am getting rather fed up with this mess and trying to talk to Google or even DMOZ (thats another mess) seems to be totally impossible unless your going to spend money with Google which I might now have to consider doing due to the amount of work that I will loose due to this.

If anyone can have a look at the site and see whats wrong then please do so and let me know.

The keywords/phares that seem to be totally messed up are:

glasgow taxi
    glasgow airport taxi

The only good thing is that I bought a new domain name a long time ago and had it set to link to my main site until I found a good use for it. This site now appears number 9 on the listings for the words glasgow taxi, I have not even pushed that site at all.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, oh I knew things were going too well.

regards
    John

John Dundas
    http://gph.org.uk
    johndundas@gph.org

I think this is temporary but if I were in your business I'd say PPC is the answer to your woes.

{

Try me.

This may not be a help, but diversification has saved us more than once. The cliche of not putting all your eggs in one basket is really true. Branch out into something else, even if it's not interesting or fun, and keep trying. Different categories of merchandise, etc. And, yes, try the PPCs, maybe Inktomi. We've been as frustrated as you at times, but the key is to keep plugging. Two years ago I couldn't buy a McDonalds's hamburger with what we were earning. Now I can almost buy McDonald's itself (almost [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img])

And don't give on Google. This all will get fixed.

---Hershey

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Diversification is absolutely vital. I have done very well over the last year & a half in a category in which almost all of my product specific pages that were ranking from number ones to sixes and sevens can't even be found.

However, I have another site that adresses the same category, and now it is occupying a lot of the void left with the other site. It isn't quite as good, but it has greatly softened the blow. Site #2, BTW, is structured very differently from site #1. It was developed specifically for Inktomi, and now its doing very well on Google.

I operate in a lot of different product lines, but with this update, its time to expand into some more.

Yep. Diversify!

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Bob Hope

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advise on diversification but the internet service is only a very small part of our business as we will do other work as well, even on Friday we had done approx. 12,000 taxi jobs in the city of Glasgow.

The idea of the website was to let people know who we are and what we could offer. It has brought in some really good work for our drivers and has lead to a number of companies opening up new accounts with us (tour operators, UK companies not based in Glasgow but who visit a lot etc etc).

I have just checked the PPC option and it does not seem too bad with the price and the others who are already listed with the key word Glasgow Taxi are just playing at things and dont even have any correct/uptodate information.

Going by the amount of visitors a month we are getting approx. 300 and 100 coming from Google/AOL then the cost would not be too great at all.

Inbound links from other sites have been very good and that does show and help when others are searching.

Anyway, thanks once again for the advice.

regards John

John Dundas
    johndundas@gph.org

"Googlebot has not been on my site for a good few weeks and even then only visited one page"

Loss the java applets and use plain old text links or images, as far as I know bots can't follow links in java.

ABW Ambassador
    If you're really trying to nail down the phrase "glasgow taxi", try an adjustment to your page title, also change to the singular term of 'airport' if that is the term you want to rank for. [the page title is dreadfully long; I am guilty of the same offense [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]]

Instead of:

'Glasgow Private Hire/Taxi-Serving the City of Glasgow - Glasgow/Prestwick/Edinburgh Airports'

Try this:

'Glasgow Taxi - Glasgow Private Hire/Taxi - Serving the City of Glasgow - Airport Service Glasgow/Prestwick/Edinburgh

[This message was edited by Crankin'_Deelz on September 29, 2002 at 12:07 AM.]

Hi Guys

thanks for the replies. Ref the java code, well I will put a link to the TOC outside columnes etc. With anyluck the bots will find it and the links to all my other pages.

Also ref the title, I have been adjusting it for a while and found that it did improve things a bit, but I will look at your suggestion.

On the google adwords side of things it looks like I can get the PPC for 0.04p (good old UK money) so will see about getting the funds setup for it and might even take on some more adwords at the same time and run them for a while to see if it helps.

Oh I love this hobby, I knew I should have put it out to a proper company to do it old and take away the hassle, but then again what would be the fun in doing that, not a lot.

regards John

John Dundas
    johndundas@gph.org

Hi Folks,

Well have the go ahead to start a small test with Adwords on Google, hope to have it up and running by Tuesday afternoon. We will start off with just a few pounds per day (or dollars or Euros or whatever) and see how we get on.

If it works out then we will certainly extend it and put more money into the Adwords programme.

Also just about to go and make some changes to the site, oh a long night ahead I think.

regards John

John Dundas
    johndundas@gph.org

John,

My site disappeared from Google for one month 2 years ago. I don't know why, as I hadn't made any significant changes to it that would cause such a drastic move on Google's part. It was there one day, the next it was gone.

If you searched for my site by name, it would come up, but you couldn't find it for any of the keywords or phrases, which meant no one else found it either.

I don't do anything sneaky to try to get a better rank, so there wasn't a penalty involved. I resisted the temptation to resubmit, gritted my teeth, and waited it out.

When the next update hit, I was back, with higher rankings than before! I have no idea what happened, but it was nice to be back in the index again.

I think sometimes the little Googlebot just gets tired and messes up. Hopefully, with the changes you plan on making and a little bit of time, you'll be back stronger than ever.

Good luck!

Andy

John, I second what Andy said. We lost a site about 3 months ago. Just disappeared. We also waited a month, and there it was again, just like that. With 2,469,940,685 webpages to crawl, I am not surprised that the 'bot misses one here and there. Chances are if it's yours, it will be back.

---Hershey

"Wherever you go, there you are."

HI Andy and Hersey

Thanks for the messages. Well Andy, I have the same problem sort of problem that you had, but I still get top rating for the pharse "private hire" actually it comes top out of 1.3million listings.

Anyway, I have started the Adwords and made a few changes to my main page. I moved the table of contents outside the main box as I did notice that if you do a search on "Scottish Thistle Awards 2002" Google has it listed on my site as number 2 search listing.

Ah such is life with this work of hours, lets hope next month is better.

regards John

John Dundas
    johndundas@gph.org

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread