I've heard some say yes google can and does read the ssi tags and of course I've heard the opposite.

Seeing as I have no proof of my own I'm looking for feedback.

Does it get included or not?

ABW Ambassador
    I can't see how google possibly could see the ssi tags. It's all done server-side & all google would see is the final page.
    Unless they have access to the server to see the raw page, they can't see it.

My information is subject to change if I get proven wrong [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Tick

Google does read the full page, including the includes. I know because it quotes text from the includes in searches for my site that don't appear anywhere but in the includes.

If you look at the source for a website's page that uses SSI, you'll see that the includes are part of the html there. So everything's there for Google to see and do whatever algo-stuff it does with the info.

J

ABW Ambassador
    hmm, I thought Heyder was talking about the actual tag itself. The include virtual etc bit.

The tag itself google cannot see.
    The output from the tag google can see.

Tick

ABW Ambassador
    Google reads what is delivered client-side. If you use SSI, the output of that will be read. If you go to any .shtml page and view source, what you are seeing there is what Googlebot will see.

I don't know where you read that SSI isn't read by Google, but I suggest you don't bother visiting there anymore as they clearly have no idea what they are talking about.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    LOL, I wouldn't be surprised if he read BOTH opinions on the same board... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

ABW Ambassador
    I use SSI to add hyperlinks to the bottom of each page on my site. This means that when I add new pages I change one small snippet of code and all the pages have the new links.

I can confirm what most people have said here - SSI's are all done server side. The browser / spider sees a bog standard HTML page.

In fact, I don't even use .shtml as a file extension - I'm lucky in that I can configure my webserver to parse .htm and .html files for SSI.

-----------
    JoKe-ZoNe
    -----------

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by microdot:
    I'm lucky in that I can configure my webserver to parse .htm and .html files for SSI.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just be aware that this can decimate server performance, as your server is now parsing every line of every htm and html file to see if there's any SSI in there.

I can't find the reference - it may even have been here on ABW - but someone posted test figures that showed how many fewer pages per minute their server could send out in this mode.

... of course it may not be an issue if you have lots of headroom in your server performance [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Stewart Hutton | Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks CrazyGuy - you're absolutely correct.

I never even thought of that to be honest, but I don't think I get enough traffic to make it a problem [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-----------
    JoKe-ZoNe
    -----------

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread