I know most SE's look for a robots.txt file, which I have on my site. But I've been told Google especially will respond to a robots meta tag placed on the page.

On sales pages, I was told it's best to use the "index,nofollow" command instead of "index,follow" or "all".

It seems the idea was that it was best to just index the page, but not dilute it with a lot of outgoing links. But, if the destination is an highly ranked site, like Amazon, wouldn't it be beneficial to have Googlebot follow them, since it's an "important" site?

I'd appreciate any feedback on this, as I'm beginning to think I need to make some changes here.

Thanks,
    Andy

ABW Ambassador
    If you have an 'index, no follow' tag, the spider isn't going to get any further into your site or follow any of the links to your other pages.

So I would say it is a bad idea. Let the spiders go where they want. I don't know where you guys read this kind of advice (though I can guess) but this particular gem is best ignored.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

I've seen it once on a links page [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Doesn't surprise me, Chinaski. Pretty obvious though. I know a lot of the gambling/credit card type sites do this kind of thing, as it gives the links page a PageRank but doesn't benefit any of their link partners (who are all competitors anyway).

The concept seemed to be the weight placed on the overall number of links coming in to your site, and the number of links going out from your site. Since some of the sales pages have a lot of links on them going out, the theory was that the page becomes more important if those links aren't followed, or something to that effect.

Now it's occurred to me that the internal links aren't being crawled either, and that might do more damage to my rankings in the long run. I'm going to change it to "ALL" so the bots will crawl everything and see what happens over the next few months.

Andy

What's the difference between "FOLLOW" and "ALL"?

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ABW Ambassador
    In practical terms, there is no difference as far as I can tell.

However, index, all and index, follow are meaningless to search engine spiders. You are just telling them to do what they were gonna do anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You are just telling them to do what they were gonna do anyway. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true. A reliable source did tell me that the default for Inktomi was to index the page, and not follow the links. So, if that still holds true, a "index,follow" or "ALL" tag will be helpful in that case at least.

Of course, about the time we really begin to understand how the SE's work, they change the terms. So, we're never really up to date! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I changed a bunch of the tags yesterday, and had one of the best days I've ever had! I know this probably didn't have anything to do with it, but Googlebot has been spending a lot of time on my site this morning as well as yesterday. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Always nice to see the little Googlebot...

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>.. the default for Inktomi was to index the page, and not follow the links <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is only true of the paid inclusion program, the regular crawlers index everything.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread