ABW Ambassador
    New domain (not previously listed in google, to my knowledge) and not the FIRST link to it from anywhere...

I just "finished" the blasted thing, was doing some testing, and looking at the logs for errors -- when I noticed someone else had been there... "who could it be," says I. I run DNSlookup and find out it was googlebot...

How how how? And why why why? It got there ten minutes before I uploaded the finished site (IOW, it saw a blank page at the front door)...

How? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes." -- Holly, from Red Dwarf

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Here's some guesses:

Somebody still has a link to it, probably from whatever it went with before you owned it. A link from a low PR page usually doesn't show up in Google's link: tool--try checking for links at some other engine like AltaVista.

It could have been in the index before last, and Googlebot was checking to see if it was still down this time.

The registrar has a link somewhere you don't know about.

The registrar submitted it for you. Or your host did.

You linked to an image on it in some other place and he followed the link in.

You put an email link somewhere with that domain, and he followed it in.

Some whois service or another may have the domain name as an active link.

Just guesses, but maybe one of them will remind you of something and solve the mystery.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

stupid question.. but have you got google toolbar?

I had this happen also last month. I put up a new site and two days later the googlebots had been there. Did not help, though, as I have not seen any traffic from them.

What is the google toolbar?

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

ABW Ambassador
    >>Somebody still has a link to it, probably from whatever it went with before you owned it.<<

It's possible, I suppose. But I did research this domain and couldn't find a prior thing on it. (Including nothing in archive.org.)

>>A link from a low PR page usually doesn't show up in Google's link: tool--try checking for links at some other engine like AltaVista.<<

Nada.

>>It could have been in the index before last<<

Possible.

>>The registrar has a link somewhere you don't know about. The registrar submitted it for you.<<

*Highly* doubtful.

>>Or your host did.<<

Also *highly* doubtful.

>>You linked to an image on it in some other place and he followed the link in.<<

Nope.

>>You put an email link somewhere with that domain, and he followed it in.<<

Like an email to somebody using the google toolbar? That's possible. One other person did know about the domain.

>>Some whois service or another may have the domain name as an active link.<<

ah. Now I hadn't thought of that.

>>stupid question.. but have you got google toolbar?<<

Yes. I don't generally think about that since it's not in the browser I tend to use, but I did test in that browser.

Well, I don't know how googlebot found it, but there are certainly a bunch of possibilities here...

>>Did not help, though, as I have not seen any traffic from them.<<

Oh, I don't see any way this could help -- there was nothing except a blank page front page there when google came calling. I'm more worried about it *hurting*.

"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes." -- Holly, from Red Dwarf

Personally, I think it's a conspiracy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

{

Stuff that makes me go, "huh?"

It is for this very reason I have started searching for expired domains and then seeing if they were recently active through archive.org. It's amazing how many I have that are generating traffic. Many of them I just have redirecting to my other sites, waiting to see how much traffic they generate. Those that do a lot I set up as full fledged web sites.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

Another possibility is that Google is buying new domain registrations from Registrars.

There may be a lot of ways that Google can obtain a list of new domain names to crawl. This puts them ahead of the other SE's with more current search data.

Jim in Texas [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Patriot, Army Type, One Each...
    USA - This We'll Defend

ABW Ambassador
    lol @eaglefire. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I've only had limited success with finding expired domains as a feeder, the best tool for this I can find is at DeletedDomains (it's free!) and then I just type the domain name into AllTheWeb to see what comes out. Very boring, but free.

Don't just redirect the pages though.. I've done some microsites with them (i.e. a few banners and a link to my main sales site).. this way I can get the benefit of the Google PageRank too.

dynamoo.com - geeky stuff for umm geeks.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm convinced someone, someplace (google, archive.org, etc) is visiting every singe domain registered. I know I register domains and have the ability to track them very well, and virtually all of them, even total toads (3guyssell4computers2u4nomoneydown.com) will get a hit as soon as the dns is propagated.

Whether or not anyone else comes there later, someone is coming there the very first day, and it's not me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

fwiw.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

ABW Ambassador
    You're right AffJus... it's just usually that the spammers get me before google does. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

ABW Ambassador
    I think googlebot scans my local hard drive. If it sees that I am am working on an upgrade for a site, it will crawl the site the day before I upload the new release.

Missoula - Short Stories

LOL yintercept, you are SO funny!

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Yep, googlebot is smart.

Gabe
    www.1lovecards.com

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread