Hello All:

I expected to see much better ranking in google after having a new set of pages with different titles and meta tags (I work on each every single page for meta tags). Well, I was feeling like crying and couldn't eat anything after I found out that the ranking in google is far not what I wanted!

AltaVista has my new set of pages too, but being listed in altavista doesn't do a thing for me!

Though I'm now indeed getting more visitors (avg. 60 unique visitors/day only), it is not comparable with all the hard work I put in. Can anyone believe that I go to bed after 2am every single day for the past 7 months? Does any of you work even harder?

The worse thing that made my heart pounding more was I discovered that some other web site get ranked much better (under popular keyword) either in google or msn but the only thing they did different for each page is the title while they have the same meta tags across all pages! That was the saddest thing I ever found out!

I am so confused on how these engines rank all pages. I'm so tired and don't feel like (or can't even find a free time ) to search around (I still have to take care of my two little kids days and nights). So I'm hoping by writing this tedious email that someone can explain to me breifly, or point me to a place so I can read myself. I'd appreciate if you can get back to me on this at your earliest convenience. I will also read through all of your previous messages as soon as I get a chance in case I may find just what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards

Jacklyn
    ishopworld

Snakebaby
    ishopworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    I checked out your site and you have to work on your tags a little. You need some keywords in your title tag. Your description and keywords tags repeats words too often. The general rule is don't repeat any word more that 3 times. I would suggest paying a little money on wordtracker, to get a better idea of what keywords to use. But the biggest thing is you have 0 backwards links. Google will put your site higher and your page rank higher with some good links to your site. Try doing some link exchanges, i think that will help you out the most. Those are just some general things i noticed. Also take a day or two and just read some of the past posts on this board. You will learn the most here.

If all the girls lived up in trees, what a good climber johnnie would be.

Geeze I feel so sad after reading this [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img].

Well I will brag that I do work just as hard as you do. I stay up working and sleep about 4 hrs a night if I even go to bed.

My advice for getting your pages ranked is don't worry about it. Instead of spending your time optimising pages for the search engines, spend it building new pages. Don't worry about keywords, meta tags and all that hoopla because sooner or later search engines won't be paying any attention to them.

I just recently lost a ton of income from the latest google index and yes I'm agry about it but I still have things coming in from other search engines as well as google just not as much.

I'm not jumping off a bridge because I have enough pages indexed in enough search engines to carry me through the hard times.

I hope to complete a million page website this month and have it indexed in time for the Holidays. 99% of the site could be a flop but the remaining 1% should be all I need.

ABW Ambassador
    Forget meta tags and description. I will probably get linched for suggesting this but Inktomi is the only search engine to use these for ranking. I am sure someone will correct me here, but that is my understanding.

Use Wordtracker. Find proftable keywords and optimise pages for single keywords or phrases. That would be my advice.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    OK, very quick guide to ranking:

i) Don't worry too much about meta tags
    ii) Put the keyphrase you are targeting in the title tag
    iii) Choose only one or two phrases to target per page
    iv) Put these phrases in an h1 tag at the top of your code, as soon after the opening body tag as possible.
    v) Mention your keyphrase once or twice in the first paragraph. If you can put it in a bold or strong tag, then do so.
    vi) Scatter your keyphrase(s) through the rest of the text of the page. If you can read it out loud and it doesn't sound too horrible, that is about the right keyword density.
    vii) Link your important pages using the keyphrase for that page in the link text or alt tag.
    viii) Get links in from other sites using your main keyphrases.
    ix) Rinse and repeat.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Thanks a lot everyone for posting replies so quickly. I'm sure all these would help me in the long run.

Just one thing, I do have 10 - 20 link exchanges. So when johnniebry mentioned I got 0 backward links, I was confused. I'd like to make sure I didn't misunderstand this concept. Also could any of you list few good and most effecient ways on link exchange so I could have a jump start? I truely believe this is the most important thing I need to work on. Hopefully I would have better ranking just for the holiday season so I could afford quality toys for my kids. I lost my high paying job more than a year ago and any income from this business means a lot to all of us.

Thanks.

Snakebaby
    ishopworld.com

One more thing that I didn't see mentioned is Image tags. Put some images on your site and use the alternate text tag ie. img src=./images/computer.gif alt=computer components . It really works. Google loves alt img tags.

ANALBUMCOVER.COM
    Baby cover that bum!

ABW Ambassador
    To see your backwards links, simply go to Google and do a search on:

link:http://domain.com

Where domain.com is the name of the domain you want to check. You might also consider installing the Google search bar. The search bar has a little thing showing page rank.

BTW: The whole affiliate marketing thing is a really low end enterprise. Spending tons of time with very little or no returns is par for the course. If anything works, then it will be duplicated to the point that it fails.

Think about it. Having 60 people a day actually coming in and seeing your work would be a success in almost any other enterprise.

At my last calculation, I would need about 10 million page views to break minimum wage. To actually make a decent living, I would need to process the entire adult population of the US through the site once a year.

Missoula - Short Stories

Thanks again.

I tried the command link:http://ishopworld.com, but either google couldn't find any links linking to my site, or the command doesn't work. Is the command the right one? I'd appreciate if you could verify this for me. Thanks.

By the way, does any of you would be willing to share the tips on building quick links? Does anyone use free or commercial software to perform this task? If yes, which software would you recommend and is it costly?

Snakebaby
    ishopworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    The way i always check for backwards links it just type your domain into google, for you type ishopworld.com and hit search. Then from the page that comes up click 'Find web pages that link to ishopworld.com' There are other ways to do it, this is just one. As far as quick links, don't spend any money on software, its a waste of money, plus most of that software submits to a lot of FFA links which are garbage. They only might last a day and are considered link farms, spam. You might have links that just havent shown up yet, i don't know how long you've been exchanging links, maybe some will show next update. The best way is just type something related to your site into the search engine and visit some of the sites and see if they do link exchanges, kinda like what you got with the link to us button. The best links are from DMOZ listed sites, Google likes those the best. I don't know if you have the Google toolbar installed but if you don't, it's a handy thing. When you visit a site it will give your PR and theres a page info button where you can check backwards links too. For link exchanging, i always look for sites that have at least equal page rank, or better yet higher page rank than me.

If all the girls lived up in trees, what a good climber johnnie would be.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I tried the command link:http://ishopworld.com, but either google couldn't find any links linking to my site, or the command doesn't work. Is the command the right one? I'd appreciate if you could verify this for me. Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you use that command at Google it counts the links that are listed on pages that have a page rank of 4 or more.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Webmaster Resources | Website Tools | Webmaster Software

Thanks johnniebry and rik. I'm so glad I asked and didn't get lazy on writing the message. Guess I'm on my way to building the links. I'm sure it is time consuming. Honestly I haven't done much at all in this area and it's the time for me to catch up.

Good luck to all of us.

Snakebaby
    ishopworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>At my last calculation, I would need about 10 million page views to break minimum wage. To actually make a decent living, I would need to process the entire adult population of the US through the site once a year.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you are doing something wrong [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

I have to admit I'm feeling a little sad too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Life can be so unfair sometimes no matter how hard we try. But tomorrow is a brand new day [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Yeah!

I had a quick look at your site. I can see you have worked really hard, and it's to bad that you don't have more visitors.

My advise to you, besides the excellent advises on search engines already given, is the following.

* you should drop most of the small images. They look like ads, and people don't want to click on ads. Also, people rarely shop by brand on such sites like the one you have. So, this goes for:

a) your "Featured Stores" and "Whats Hot" on your front page. Instead of brands, promote a few products. Write a few words about each product, include a product image, and include text links that ppl can click on to get to the merchant. (I noticed you have already done this in the romantic gifts section in the "Featured" column).

b) inside you directory (I looked in the webhosting section). Instead of the small images to the left of the product text, I would either just drop the images, or simply put in a number instead (1 next to Eartlink, 2 next to Globat, and so on). Ppl like to get recommendations, so by switching the ad images with numbers ppl might think the numbers symbolize which product you feel are the best.

* build a second site, a small site with 1 - 5 pages. Think about what ppl are going to buy for Christmas, and make a site about that. Do this 10 times and you will have 10+1 sites to earn money on. Some of them wont convert (drop them), but others will, and when you know which do, just copy those site but promote a competing product.

* don't put in a lot of work in trying to get everything perfect. The last 20 percent of work usually don't bring in any more money. For example, you already have more than enough listings in your directory for the visitors to choose from.

Best of luck to you

-- Less is more --

[This message was edited by Cellophane on October 08, 2002 at 05:30 PM.]

Well, I'm back again for couple of previous questions.

I searched around in dmoz using different keywords, such as 'link exchange', 'clothing stores', 'shopping mall', 'gift store'..., then I checked each web site, but didn't find any luck on link trading. Did I use the wrong keywords? Or it is indeed not easy to find sites that do link exchange from dmoz? I'm sure I can find a lot of web sites that are interested in doing so if I search around from google.

I'm feeling very depressed at this point, I believe I would have similar ranking next time if not worse.

I installed google toolbar. As I expected, my page is not being ranked by google which I haven't found the answer what that means. I also clicked on 'backward links', nothing showed up. But if I use my domain name to search I would at least see few sites that I did link trading. I'm totally confused and wondering about. How am I going to get page ranking and see backward links for my site? Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to any quick help. Thanks.

Snakebaby
    ishopworld.com

Thanks a lot for your kind information, cellophane. I will definitely look into my web site and make proper changes base on your suggestions (they do make a lot sense) when I get a free time. Right now I can't even think well with all I have at hand.

Snakebaby
    ishopworld.com

I would be careful not to do to much link swapping. If you link to site B and site B links to you, Google knows that. If you do it to much Google may hurt you bad. Google also knows about most link exchange sites. Search for "link exchange" on this forum and you'll find several good posts.

You could try to find sites not to different from yours, then send them an email and ask for a link swap. But this takes time so you have to decide if it's worth it. I have my doubts if exchanging link will help you more than just slightly.

But, I'm no expert in search engines, however, Google don't like sites with nothing but links. You have a lot of ad links on front page, and not much content. That *might* be a reason for Google not liking you, but others know more about that than me.

Also, you may read through some of the posts in the search engine sections: Especially look for posts by markymark - he's the closest you get to God of Search Engines around here. He posted earlier in this thread, and you should follow his advise, in the order he listed them.

-- Less is more --

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread