Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Well the CJ news just keeps on coming. Have not been able to find out anything accept what’s in the PR. Not sure how this will affect us or how we can utilize it yet.

Did anyone else know about this? Was it posted somewhere else and I missed it somehow? Or was I the 1st to discover this?

Commission Junction Adds Search to its Suite of Online Marketing Solutions

CJ Search Integrates Expertise of Extensive Publisher Network Into Centralized Solution

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – October 13, 2003 – The industry for search engine marketing is growing more complex every day as it moves towards a forecasted growth from $1.6 billion in 2003 to $4.3 billion in 2008 (Jupiter Research, August 2003). In a move to help guide advertisers through the complexity, Commission Junction, which has been providing online marketing solutions since 1998, today launched CJ Search™, a customized solution that lets advertisers manage all of their search efforts through a single service, and also tap into the deep search expertise of Commission Junction's extensive publisher network. CJ Search includes paid search, paid inclusion and organic search and is designed to complement Commission Junction's other pay-for-performance marketing solutions in email and affiliate marketing.

"The publishers in our affiliate network were doing search engine marketing long before it became the thing to do. They just called it smart marketing, and went about developing some serious expertise in it," said Jeff Pullen, president and CEO of Commission Junction. "With CJ Search, advertisers have a one-stop-shop to manage their independent search efforts, and they also have the choice of extending the reach of their efforts by working with our publishers. We sit in the middle as an independent third party to guarantee a mutually beneficial relationship."

Read the rest here, then come back and share your thoughts.

http://www.cj.com/corporate/press/press_031013.jsp

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    4LowRates ::ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds :: Roadloans :: More Soon!

ABW Ambassador

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on October 13, 2003 at 05:30 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Huh???

I'm interested in seeing what this program really is, once the smoke clears.

ABW Ambassador

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on October 13, 2003 at 05:24 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    The spin doctors making a press release for wall street?

quote:
    Huh???

I'm glad I am not the only one - reading that gave me a headache.

What I want Todds Response on this. The spider better not be giving advertisers our strategy secrets in search engines. I think this has gotten out of hand and the cj bot better not be navigating sites and giveaway are saleing power to advertisers. I'm totally lost in this now.

Jason
    xtremeshopping.org
    aim: ssn jason
    Xtreme's partnership information

"One thing life taught me: if you are interested, you never have to look for new interests. They come to you. When you are genuinely interested in one thing, it will always lead to something else" Eleanor Roosevelt

8. Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I'm glad I'm not the only one totally confused.

Discovered this by accident, trying to dig up any new info on the VC/CJ deal. Went to Internet Retailer and saw an article I thought was the same info as all the other news had and then at the bottom I saw the announcement about the search.

http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=10421

Went to CJ and sure enough there was the PR.
    You would think CJ would put updates regarding major new press releases on the affiliate and merchant sign-in page, so we know when stuff like this happens.

This is so vague. I sent it to Irvs and they want to know what it means. I don't know

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    4LowRates ::ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds :: Roadloans :: More Soon!

Hmmm, might explain all those visits from the spider - so much for OUR privacy - imagine encouraging head on competition between the merchants and the affiliates within our "trusted" affiliate management program! - Sounds rather nasty to me.

Abigail

CJ Search does not access nor utilize data from Network Insight (a.k.a. CJ Spider). These are two completely different and unrelated products.

FYI - CJ is continuing with our product release schedule. CJ Search was pre-announced at CJU and our intention was to officially press release it at the DMA in Orlando this week (which we just did).

There are more things coming, so don't be surprised when you see updates to our homepage, new product releases, etc. - all of these things have been in the works prior to the ValueClick announcement on Friday.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

[This message was edited by ToddCrawford, CJ.com on October 13, 2003 at 05:45 PM.]

Don't be so worried about this guys-- we had kind of an overview of this at CJU. All it is is a way for us advertisers who are into search engine marketing (all of us) to better manage our campaigns (theoretically).

CJ Search has nothing to do with the CJ Quality Assurance bot. CJ Search is, from what I've heard, a way to track search engine conversions, and maybe a way to get all the independant reports consolidated.

Despite the conspiracy theories (some of which may even be credible), there is an actual business of helping advertisers not waste their money on search marketing.

Bryan Simonson
    bryan@smoothcorp.com
    SmoothCorp Affiliates
    iFLOOR.com/3%/sale/avg.sale=$800
    RugArea.com/12-14%/avg.sale=$400
    CornerHardware.com/6%/avg.sale=$80

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - -
    There are more things coming, so don't be surprised when you see updates to our homepage,
    - - - -

Hi Todd, ummm, while you are updating your front page, I wouldn't mind you removing the ebates photo and quote, I really hate having to look at that every other time I login! Lol, okay, I'll leave you alone now.

As for the other stuff, seemed kinda straight up, affiliates will know in advance from now on what keywords will get them in trouble, and which will not, which seems like a good thing.

At PPCs, ebay shouldn't have to compete against it's own affiliates for the term 'ebay', for example, just their way of getting it in writing, seems like.

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford,
    FYI - CJ is continuing with our product release schedule. CJ Search was pre-announced at CJU and our intention was to officially press release it at the DMA in Orlando this week (which we just did).

There are more things coming, so don't be surprised when you see updates to our homepage, new product releases, etc. - all of these things have been in the works prior to the ValueClick announcement on Friday.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd

With the uncertainty of CJ links (or BF links) being active after the merger, It is not encouraging to promote anything anymore for the short term.

I, for one, don't want to see all my efforts go to waste. So I will wait for the merger to clear up.

It's time to take a look at in-house programs, and make more of LS links.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    affiliates will know in advance from now on what keywords will get them in trouble, and which will not, which seems like a good thing.~Elbowcreek

With the *reasonable* merchants it may not be too bad.

But to me it seems like a way for greedy merchants to find out what keywords actually pull, and then prohibit affiliates from using them!

I'm not talking about the TheirBrand keywords, but regular "generic" terms. Some meathead is sure to try to hog the entire search engine for himself using this new "tool."

Get this utter rot:

quote:
    publishers can better focus their efforts on developing creative new terms and maximizing the effectiveness of their programs.~CJ Press Release

You know how useless a "creative new term" is!!! A term nobody's looking for is a waste of the SEs' disk space--terms which ARE being searched on aren't new!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    That would be fun if that happened. A merchant saying i can't use or optimize certain generic terms as if they owned them. I would say ok i won't use them for you, but will use them for your competition. The only thing they can tell us not use are terms they have a TM for, generic terms are up for grabs. Woule be a very dumb move on their part to even ask that, but fun

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

Leader, what TrustNo1 said - it is not like you to jump to these types of conclusions.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bryan - SmoothCorp:
    Don't be so worried about this guys-- we had kind of an overview of this at CJU. All it is is a way for us advertisers who are into search engine marketing (all of us) to better manage our campaigns (theoretically).

CJ Search has nothing to do with the CJ Quality Assurance bot. CJ Search is, from what I've heard, a way to track search engine conversions, and maybe a way to get all the independant reports consolidated.

Despite the conspiracy theories (some of which may even be credible), there is an actual business of helping advertisers not waste their money on search marketing.

Bryan Simonson
    bryan@smoothcorp.com
    http://www.smoothaff.com
    iFLOOR.com/3%/sale/avg.sale=$800
    RugArea.com/12-14%/avg.sale=$400
    CornerHardware.com/6%/avg.sale=$80

Since all of us (merchants and affiliates) are into search engine advertising anyway, that would be like pitting the merchants against the affiliates.

And after learning what works and what doesn't, the merchants can then take over our business models, and affiliates will soon become extinct.

ABW Ambassador
    May have something to do with ValueClick acquiring http://www.search123.com back in June.

They paid $5,000,000 for that crap. Just alittle more than 10 times that and they get CJ.

They're going to join BeF***ed with CJ, so why not throw in alittle sucks123?

Sorta of reminds me of the naive boys at Afternic thinking their $8.88 names are worth a quarter million bucks.

ABW Ambassador
    Thats a little drastic, heres what merchants think of affiliates:

"Affiliate marketing has been identified by the National Retail Federation's Shop.org as one of the most effective methods of enabling online retail commerce, a $95 billion industry that is expected to grow to approximately $230 billion by 2008, noted ValueClick, citing Forrester Research data. "

They can learn what works and what doesn't but affiliates are very adaptable to SE changes. Plus a merchant with a lot of affiliates vying for good SE placement will beat a merchant trying to go out on their own. Don't believe in any of those posts about affiliate marketing is dead nonsense, usually the people that post that kinda stuff are "Panic Affiliates" and i think maybe things aren't going so good for them. Affiliate marketing has been around almost 10 years and will only grow.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    "Affiliate marketing has been identified by the National Retail Federation's Shop.org as one of the most effective methods of enabling online retail commerce.
    That is exactly the reason why affiliate marketing is a very convenient target. Because it's effective.

quote:
    Don't believe in any of those posts about affiliate marketing is dead nonsense, usually the people that post that kinda stuff are "Panic Affiliates" and i think maybe things aren't going so good for them. Affiliate marketing has been around almost 10 years and will only grow.
    I think you misunderstood me. The message I'm trying to put out is that business is business, and everyone will try to look after its own interest. That includes the merchants. The only person who can look after your own interest is yourself. So do it.

And if I remember correctly, Mr. Gates has even mentioned that the very thing that gives him energy in getting up every morning is the question "is this the day that I'm going to fall (from being rich) ?" or something like that.

So fear and panic can actually be productive. You will most likely be never caught offguard.

Affiliate marketing will grow for as long as we are willing to nurture it. But if we become complacent, something bigger might gobble us up. It's an internet reality.

[This message was edited by waytogo on October 14, 2003 at 04:45 AM.]

Todd, why don't CJ just write their PRs in PLAIN ENGLISH?

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    Leader, what TrustNo1 said - it is not like you to jump to these types of conclusions.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

It'd be a "jump" if I hadn't heard of merchants actually trying such things.

But I have.

Rare, yes--but occasionally there's a real yo-yo who gets into the mix. I recall a place emailing out a whole laundry list of terms they wanted to hog (which someone posted here). I forgot the name of that place, though--I was just glad I wasn't signed up with them!

And another place got some rather bad branding here as "Infamous Foot Orbs" after being too stringent in the eyes of their affiliates!

quote:
    I would say ok i won't use them for you, but will use them for your competition. ~TrustNo1

I'd say that too, and enjoy burying them under their competition in the SEs. But I hope my merchants don't do things to cause me to promote their competition...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Leader wrote:

But to me it seems like a way for greedy merchants to find out what keywords actually pull, and then prohibit affiliates from using them!

I'm not talking about the TheirBrand keywords, but regular "generic" terms. Some meathead is sure to try to hog the entire search engine for himself using this new "tool."

One thing merchants should surely know is the "generic" terms related to their business. Are you going to clue them in to a few they aren't aware of?

If they developed a database of all the keywords related to producing sales for them, what would they do?

Even if there were substantial amounts of keywords they weren't aware of, what would they do with them?

They'd go about trying to automate pages for such keywords. Why wouldn't it be as effective as affiliate marketing?

The Google search engine knows more about your secret keywords than you could ever hope to know, yet automated Adsense is limited to delivering hopefully mere related results.

Affiliates can deliver targeted results.

If you ever get over to to news.google.com, search for NDES, which is Near Death Experiences ...if there aren't any results, Google replys "Did you mean NUDES"?

Be grateful a machine can't take your place.

ABW Ambassador
    Actually Google replies that regardless. Really got a kick out of that.

quote:
    The Google search engine knows more about your secret keywords than you could ever hope to know,

I never said Google or the merchants don't know the keywords...

quote:
    Be grateful a machine can't take your place.

True...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast