Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    There is this keyword I want to 'own'. I am first on google, but when I checked at msn, I was 46th.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the differing philosphies are between msn and google, and how I might go about bettering my placement at msn?

Have you submitted the page through Inktomi? I think MSN gets its results from Inktomi.

I used to receive very little traffic from MSN until I submitted pages. I now receive 12 to 15 times more traffic from MSN than I did before.

I have one page that I submitted in February. Since then I've received over 6,400 hits to that page just from my Inktomi listing. Best $25 I've spent on search engine traffic! Other pages haven't faired near as well, but I haven't learned all the optimization techniques yet.

Learn the rules, then break some.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Keywords that are not pre-booked by MSN advertisers are best influenced by ZEAL.com ...which feeds Looksmart and MSN.

If you need proof of that search for diamond guide and a .info site comes first... owned by one of our partners..listed on with the description from Zeal.

cheers

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera Partner Management
    Mondera : Click Here
    Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

Web Studio-1 Solutions Co., Ltd : Click Here
    Microsoft Certified Partner
    Affiliate Management and Marketing Solutions

ABW Ambassador
    Elbow, what are you seeing in the MSN results for this keyword ? Do you see pages of 'web directory' listings in there ? If so, no amount of optimization is going to get you onto the first page. You would have to submit to Looksmart - you could try Zeal if the site is not commercial, but I expect it is a commercial site. So it is either Looksmart or nothing.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Well, I'm confused. I thought that my huge increase in traffic from MSN was because I signed up some pages at Inktomi.

Could somebody please explain all this? I went to Zeal, which does not accept commercial sites. I went to Looksmart, and was further confused. They say to do it in three easy steps. They want $49 to create your listing. That's not too unreasonable. But then they want you to select a monthly budget. Do you have to? At 15 cents a click through?

Learn the rules, then break some.

Lol, as I recall - and I may be confused - but markymark had like 9 zillion reasons not to use Looksmart, and Haiko added a few as well. Am I thinking right?

The site is a commercial site, there are several dozen commercial sites ahead of me. I was hoping some kind of site optimization might improve my ranking. My site is listed with inktome.....

I drank what?? -Socrates

ABW Ambassador
    MSN.com works like this:

sponsored results - top 3 overture results
    web directory - Looksmart/Zeal results
    web pages - Inktomi results

Even if you have the #1 site in Inktomi, you cannot get any higher than one place below the lowest ranked web directory site. If there are only very few web directory listings in MSN, then your Inktomi listing has value.

And yeah, I did post 9 zillion reasons why not to use Looksmart - and I stand by every one of them - but it is your choice.

Markymark,

Can I get a job with your company. WOW! Dont think my budget goes that far. If you need an assistant give me a call.

regards John

ABW Ambassador
    John,

LOL- don't actually need an assistant but I know who I'll be calling for taxi hire when I'm in Glasgow !

Hi MarkyMark,

Thanks for the PM. Reply tomorrow as its on another computer.

Anyway, not bad placings since December 2001 startup. Working on some other stuff just now.

Site hits very good as its a targetted market, wait til you get the "REAL TIME ON-LINE BOOKINGS". You will be able to book a car and check to see if its on its way to you.

We have done well from the site and its certainly paid for itself this summer. I also find it good if your talking to someone on the phone as they can visit the site and see the call centre etc.

regards John

Ouch, 15 cents a clickthrough with looksmart, lololol.... (edges discretely away from the signup page), guess I'll stick with my poor ranking at msn and search for less competitive keywords!

I drank what?? -Socrates

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi

Yes ZEAL only accepts listings from non-commercial sites, however a site with educational content linking to an e-Commerce site as an affiliate is fine. Zeal then feeds to LookSmart, there are around 5 Zeal sites each feeding a different LookSmart site (UK, USA, Canada, Singapore etc) all in English

PM me if you need help on Zeal.

Cheers

Chris

Hmmmm... so am I correct to think that if I created an educational website related to my ecommerce website... oh, let's say a scooter safety site, then linked that website to my ecommerce site, then submitted the scooter safety site to Zeal...

my ecommerce site would be crawled and get free directory listings that I would otherwise have to pay 15 cents per click with through LookSmart???

Or is my head up my, ummmmm, arse on this one?

Thanks,

Frank Minero
    UrbanScooters.com

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread