Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I can't BELIEVE THIS Bleepity Bleep Bleep!!!!! I was wondering why my stats dropped almost half this week but never thought it was yahoo related. I just went in there to search some terms for a site that I was getting ready to create and submit and got hit with the whamy. I am in SHOCK!! How are we suppose to optimize for yahoo now? I most have lost a gazillion first page listing. None of my sites for relevant keywords are showing up. I am really worried. I was one who spent about $1,200 a month on yahoo submission. They won't be getting anymore of my money. What a crock??? All that wasted money I gave them and now my sites are nowhere to be found!! I guess I'll have to hire an SEO company with that money. I'M PISSED!! Can we say pissed on here. Sorry - I think I'm gonna be sick!!

"Not until you open your eyes, will you see the pot at the end of the rainbow - So Dream Big or Don't Dream at All"

JadaKiss

Hi JadaKiss,

Are you talking about Google listings that were being presented in Yahoo, when you did a search?

If so, why do you think they are no longer showing up?

Thanks,
    Michael

Michael
    973-621-6211 x 5040
    michael(at)barenecessities.com

ABW Ambassador
    jada, what about Yahoo! those pee heads..lol

what you gonna do when it comes time to pay the recurring fees??

me?? but I will never pay for a yahoo listing again (at least while they are doing it this way)

I just added a site last week and had 1st page rankings and now this [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] and since Google wasn't kind to me in this last update it appears I'm up Sh** creek and Yahoo! is no longer my paddle

It's more fun to jump on the trampoline than sit underneath it!

ABW Ambassador
    I heard about it yesterday. One of my competitors on a niche site i have paid to get in and was page 1. I was on page 1 for the web pages results. Now he's nowhere in sight. I would be very mad if i paid that amount. I am wondering how long they were accepting that $299 fee knowing they were gonna switch?

Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map.
    --Wayne Calloway

I am sorry about the Yahoo listings you guys. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Makes me glad I didn't give them any money. What the hell are they thinking? I guess we all need to focus on kissing Google's butt for awhile.

Core

"Somebody's got some 'splanin to do!" - Rex [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Holy crapola! Why doesn't MSN just dump Inktomi and go with Google so we only have to optimize for one giant search engine.

Sucks for people like Jada, I feel bad for you. I would sooooo pissed, as I'm sure you are. Unbelieveable, but great for me as my traffic should jump significantly.

ABW Ambassador
    No Michael - I'm talking about 30+ sites that I had paid submissions ($299) for in yahoo that had top 10 rankings and are now dropped to no mans land.

Ms. Mary - I'm with you on the google thing - google can't stand me. I also lost my last leg that I was standing on with google for a major keyword I had at #5 position for nearly a year - now gone. I guess I need to really start learning these other SEs. I'm not paying for another yahoo listing either unless they change back - that'll be more money I have for other SEs once I figure them out.

Core - yeah I better start kissin some butt big time. LOL!!!

"Not until you open your eyes, will you see the pot at the end of the rainbow - So Dream Big or Don't Dream at All"

JadaKiss

ABW Ambassador
    hmm. Another classic example of why you shouldn't put all your eggs in the one basket.

Tick

Jada - I knew you would be affected because of the STUPID changes at Yahoo! ... But it looks like they are sticking with this dreadful new results page.

The only possible light - it seems that Google isn't an exclusive partner... so there is still a chance you can make it on the front page of Yahoo! search if you try and target other engines (It's possible Inktomi will be feeding results to Yahoo! too)

ABW Ambassador
    HappySausage - yeah - I'm screwed majorly from the looks of it. I'm afraid to see what the paycut is. I just hope I can still pay the mortgage. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I can't believe this is happening 5 months after I left the day job to do this full-time. Now I'm scared as heck. I am working on optimizing my sites now and paying to submit to many other engines as we speak. I really hope they switch it back after they get a million complaints and see that people aren't going to pay to submit.

JadaKiss

Jada, I am so very sorry. It really is extremely unfair. But, you hang in there, gal. I know you will whip this little problem.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

I think I can help get us closer to an answer on the following question;

"How long before Yahoo! new they were going to make a change did they stop collecting payments for submission to the Yahoo! directory?"

Here's the date Yahoo! gleefully extracted $299 from our tight budget with no intention of providing the service we were paying for...

Thursday, September 26, 2002 10:30 AM

What a load!

We just paid an extra $200 for a sponsored listing, too.

Frank Minero
    UrbanScooters.com

On a side note I had a physical today.

I feel more violated by Yahoo!'s lack of business ethics than I do the proctological exam!

Frank Minero
    UrbanScooters.com

I've never paid for a Yahoo! listing, although I have acquired domains that were already listed. I'm just horribly exposed in that 60% of my traffic comes from Google.

There's a feedback form for the new search results - I agree, they suck big time. It's seems like a really stupid business decision because they've basically just killed off the Yahoo! directory. Morons.

Меня зовут Динаму

Did anyone ever really USE Yahoo Directory? Seemed like a big pain in the kiester to dig down through all those categories guessing where the information might be when I can go to google and type in a keyword or two and get instant relevant results.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

P.S. I think that any money accepted after they knew they were going to make this change without disclosure of their intentions may be fraud.
    Ask for your money back.

I just had another thought about how stupid this is.. as we all know, the top Google results tend to be from the ODP, so Yahoo! is actually giving more prominence to results from its arch rival that it is from its own directory.

Someone posted on Webmaster World to say that they kept trying very hard to take some of their eggs out of the Google basket, but Google just kept putting them back in.

Although I like Google as an SE, we're now in a situation where almost all web results are coming from the same place (Google, Yahoo, AOL) apart from MSN's. AltaVista, Wisenut, Teoma and Alltheweb don't really generate that much traffic between them.

This is really gonna bite into Yahoo's income stream though. Even if they lose just a thousand renewals a week, thats a $15 million dollar loss in income.

Did I mention they were idiots?

Меня зовут Динаму

I suspect there is something we don't know about. Yahoo must have known about the loss of income from submissions. Maybe they realized people were flocking to google for searching, maybe google and yahoo made a good deal that is worth more than the loss in revenue from paid submissions, maybe there are other things to consider...

I only once paid for a listing and was rejected. I tried to have about 10 websites listed at yahoo the slow way without success... now they do this to so many people who paid. That is just unethical. They do state no guarantees, but I still think it is very bad business practice.
    I'm not a friend of yahoo's and I never even perform a single search there.

Gabe
    www.1lovecards.com

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Eh, maybe Yahoo'll buy google, lolol.

Somewhere, I am sure, the Gods of War are laughing.

ABW Ambassador
    Did I mention they were idiots - Oh, Dynamoo already said that. LOL!!!

This move is extremely unethical I don't care what kind of phony verbage they put in those agreements - this is a bunch of cow doo.

JadaKiss

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    It smacks of when LookSmart took money from people up until they made the change from paying for your site to be listed to the ppc model.

Although I still say that Yahoo has switched back and forth between the catergories showing and the google rankings showing. It always hurts me when the catergories show, but I have traffic coming from multiple sources. So have faith that the change may very well not be permanent.

I've always had a problem with the $299 fee (and now yearly registration) and no guarantee that a site would be listed. Don't think so, which is why I've never submitted. Although I do have a category listing from way back before they started all this nonsense, it just never gets any attention in relation to keywords I'm most interested in.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Hi there!

With Yahoo's new display of search results, it will not be profitable for me to continue paying the reoccuring fee to be included in the Yahoo directory.

What is the best way to cancel the reoccuring fee on Yahoo? Has anyone done it yet?

Thanks!
    Paula [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] (crossing my fingers to get my Google listings back next month)

That which is essential is invisible to the eye. - St. Exupery

We never did submit any sites to Yahoo, mainly because of the way that the terms were worded. It seemed to be: send in money, and we'll let you know if you qualify. We didn't see a 'guarantee' (or any word you think fits here) that the site submitted would be included.

Interestingly enough, over the past six months or so, a couple of our sites have actually been included in their index... must have been left over from a submission done years ago.

From being around for 'a while', I'd also agree with Gabe; there has to be something else going on that we don't see. Yahoo needs to make money. You just don't give up a revenue stream without expecting to pick it up somewhere else.

And.... while I can appreciate the loss that others have incurred over this business decision, I can't help but smile at the traffic and revenue increases that have fallen into our laps, thanks to Yahoo. Maybe they're not so bad after all.

CodeJockey

I agree with jockey 110%! I would NEVER fall for a scam like yahoo's "send us money and maybe we'll decide to send you some traffic" nonsense. Seriously, if you would pay for that crap then how about paying me 50% of all your commissions and I promise that I might quadruple your traffic [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Edit: had to change html to ubbcode

ABW Ambassador
    paula the ageement we accepted at the time of submission seemed to be a mandatory re-submit. I guess you may be able to contact your cc company....

It's more fun to jump on the trampoline than sit underneath it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast