I've seen a lot of PPC SE related questions in here recently. Basically... are they effective.

Please summarize your experience with Pay Per Click Search Engines here. Rank from best to worst in regard to performance so we can all share in the love and knowledge.

I'll start... best to worst...

Overture: Very high volume of traffic. Traffic converts extremely well to sales. Gripe: They can be a pain in the tocass.

Google Ad Words Select: High volume of traffic. Average conversion to sale. Gripe: Their min. bid is too high on most keywords which limited my ability to advertise there.

Sprinks: Moderate-High level of traffic. Average conversion to sale. Gripe: Unsophisticated administrative back end.

FindWhat: High volume of traffic. Very low conversion rate. The low conversion rate works for us because we can bid as low as a penny here.

Ah-ha: Moderate level of traffic. Average conversion to sale.

GoClick: Dismally low level of traffic. So low can't determine the conversion rate.

ePilot: Dismally low level of traffic. So low can't determine the conversion rate. Gripe: I got sucked into paying a $100 set up fee (which goes toward clicks) here. Stay away from these freaks.

Again... please summarize your experiences... spread the knowledge.

Thanks,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    1. Overture is greedy but they do drive Yahoo listings and traffic.

2. Findwhat is OK and cheap if you chose multi-word phrases.

3. AH-HA gets some hits from the syndicated listings but the 10 cent minimum/word is too high

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    I've always had one general gripe for most ppc se's: how do I know that, even at the cheapest rate at 1 cent pc that they were not artificially delivering this traffic? I mean, it speeds up their process to reduce your account so you have to add more cash, but the only thing anyone has to go on is those few that do want to buy.

And why is it some engines produce those that do buy while others have lower quality? How can someone clicking through on targeted keywords be lower quality? Wouldn't they all be the same rate at least?

Just a few things that make you go WTF~!

ABW Ambassador
    Does overture still accept affiliate sites?

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    >Does overture still accept affiliate sites?

Both Overture & dmoz accept content sites with affiliate links.

Cyclone... that is a good question. I have no idea why clicks from one PPC SE have a higher conversion rate than clicks from others. All I can go by are my numbers... and numbers don't lie.

OK now... everyone... back on topic. Stay the course. Focus... focus... focus...

Please rank the PPC SE's you've had experience with from best to worst. We can all learn from this little exercise.

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

ABW Ambassador
    It all depends on the site and the target audience. Did very well with Epilot for a music site, for example, as they had the default search for a download accelerator but generally they are pretty poor.

Also did well with GoClick on a wedding supplies site.

Generally, I don't run PPC campaigns, but overall, I like Espotting.com in the UK and Europe. If you sell worldwide, Espotting is a major player (they have Yahoo UK, AskJeeves and more).

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread