Those merchants who are on this forum from cj please ignore my post it isn't targeted to you.

I have applied to a so and so merchant which which is a per sale merchant.

Next thing I know they reject me?

This does not make since why are you signed up with cj if you have no idea how to run your program. You sign up for cj to get customers to buy your products not to sit around hoping you will get results. I don't understand how merchants at cj can reject someone who drives thousands of sales a month. There's several merchants at cj who have no idea on how to run a program, and reject there best converting partners online. Isn't what this biz is about getting sales? How are you supposed to be successful if you only accept average affiliates or maybe good affiliates, but reject an affiliate who can drive thousands of sales a month. Now this is a merchant that is brand new to cj. Hmm Is it me or do they not know how this business works! You want to get sales not advertising. Advertising is a waste of money. I think cj needs to post a link to abw so merchants can figure out how this biz works! I'm getting tired of being rejected when I get thousands of sales a month and have quality listings in the search engines and have loyal customers. What do others think? I think cj should give those new merchants a lesson how this biz works or something. How I don't understand how and why merchants reject dedicated affiliates and top affiliates. What do others think?

Jason
    xtremeshopping.org
    aim: ssn jason
    Xtreme's partnership information

"One thing life taught me: if you are interested, you never have to look for new interests. They come to you. When you are genuinely interested in one thing, it will always lead to something else" Eleanor Roosevelt

2. ABW Ambassador
    Jason,

The Google Adsense looks great on your site, but maybe the merchant saw his competition in that rectangle.

Send the merchant to the following website for an education:

http://www.affiliatemanager.net/

Notice the Google Adsense on the right of that site. The dark blue background makes for great contrast, don't you think?

4. ABW Ambassador
    I was rejected by this one merchant last year, and then months later I get an e-mail welcoming me aboard.

I took the rejection personally, worked my but off determined to target everyone of his products in the search engines and feed the traffic to his competition. So I did, and then was accepted.

Hey Jason

I've had the same experience - and its VERY frustrating.

However - if you're looking for some new programs let me know. We run around 2 dozen programs and depending on your requirements I'm sure I can find a good one to take you on!

Best

Jonathan Miller
    Unleash Performance Marketing / Team Affiliate
    Toll free (US): 1-800-841-1369
    E: jonathan@un-leash.com
    W: www.un-leash.com

7. ABW Ambassador
    Don't worry about it Jason, everybody starts out small or medium and one day could be very big. I'm sure one day when Oprah does a story on my site, some merchants that rejected me when i first started will want some front page placement and i'll say "Nope" Plus i think you'll find it much more beneficial in the long run to work with merchants that want to work with you and give everybody a chance.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

ABW Ambassador
    Jason

If the merchant you're talking about is new to the network, then there's the problem.

From my experience, some newbie merchants lose sight of their goal (of selling) in the beginning by being so picky, as if they just like to exercise their "power" of determining who to accept or not. It doesn't take them long, however, to realize that their foolishness doesn't bring any dough in, so they relax.

For the above reason, I don't usually apply to newbie merchants.

[This message was edited by waytogo on October 14, 2003 at 04:13 AM.]

Jason, I get rejected too. It is their loss.
    So when Oprah does a story on ME and MY SITE they will have to eat my dust.

One thing I would like to mention Jason, that after seeing your site and having talked to many merchants:

Maybe move the Condoms/Safe Sex and the Cigarette links off your front page.

Not sure why this is an issue with some merchants, but it is.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    Ok Connie, you can have Oprah, i'll settle for the Dr. Phil show

Trust, from what I have seen of you, I think Dr. Phil would be a much better match for you.

Connie Berg

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, you might see me on that show one day. Maybe by gf will drag me to the show telling Phil i stay up to 5 in the morning when i should be in bed with her. Then i'll break down on national TV, saying i'm addicted to affiliate marketing and http://www.mysite.com

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Connie Berg wrote:
    Maybe move the Condoms/Safe Sex and the Cigarette links off your front page.

As long as other merchant ads aren't appearing on the same pages with these ...which in his case they are on segregated pages via such links ...why the fuss, unless the merchant has special terms in the strickest sense regarding such content?

His merchant Mothernature.com sells condoms. Look what your merchant Drugstore.com sells Connie. Provide a few direct links to such products and Ophra might give you a call.

Pardon me while I put on a Bruce Springsteen cd.

Anyway, if it was my show I'd have you guys on right after savekaryn.com

I am just saying that having links in his navigation that say safe sex and cigs might turn off the merchants. I have no problem with it, but know that some merchants can be funky that way.

I know some of my stores sell those products, but I don't have any links in my navigation to them.

I know I had merchants turn me down for cigarette links and for links to one of those prescription sites. Once I dropped those they had no problems.

I prefer Aerosmith myself!
    Gonna meet them next month in Minneapolis!

Connie Berg

ABW Ambassador
    Connie Berg wrote:

I'm just saying that having links in his navigation that say safe sex and cigs might turn off the merchants."

Could be.

But if you were to complain a merchant rejected you, someone might reply, "well, maybe your site doesn't look professional enough, or maybe they thought your flamingo or links to coupons would cheapen their name".

It's not necessarily time to go rush off to the mirror because you receive a merchant rejection notice.

Most of the merchants that have rejected me are highly complained about for not converting worth a hoot. I guess they did me a favor by rejecting me.

Jason, it is not CJ's stategy to educate merchants in the art of acquiring affiliates. CJ's goal is to highlight the merchant's need for CJ to acquire such.

As stated above, there could be a multitude of reasons for rejecting a potential affiliate.

Why take it personally? If you know you have a high-quality site, and/or the ability to drive sales, simply find their direct competitor with an affilaite program, and sign up with them.

I've always found it amusing when I joined a particualr program, started driving a ton of sales, and then benn approached by the same merchant who rejected me practically begging me to join their program

Erik

The AllPiercings.com Affiliate Program: 20% LIFETIME Commissions, 5% 2nd Tier Commissions, Affiliate Store Builder, Raw Datafeeds, and Advanced Tools.
    http://www.Allpiercings.com

Affiliate Manager
    I never did understand why an ecommerce merchant would reject any site, other than being just a nasty site. But yes, it is mostly due to inexperience or lack of education in the affiliate marketing side. This is why it is so important to have an exeperienced AM...on both sides of the court, merchant and affiliate side.

Jason, they obviously don't visit this forum. With all the "My First Sale!" threads I seen you start I was happy to see you join eVitamins

To Good Health & Wellbeing,

Chet Brzezinski
    eVitamins Affiliate Manager
    http://www.eVitamins.com

The eVitamins Parasite & Scumware Policy:
    http://www.vitamins-etc.com/parasitepolicy.asp

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    quote:
    I'm just saying that having links in his navigation that say safe sex and cigs might turn off the merchants."

I mentioned to him about this same issue in the past. Guess my instincts were correct as others now say the same.

May not be the reason, but why give them one in the first place??

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

ABW Ambassador
    If a merchant rejects you, so what? Why worry about it? There are literally thousands of merchants with affiliate programs, some of whom will reject affiliates for no apparant reason. Don't take it personally.

I still get rejected by some merchants now, and I probably get more traffic than some of the merchants that are rejecting me, so they are losing out big time. Oh well, it is their loss

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

quote:
    Originally posted by waytogo:
    From my experience, some newbie merchants lose sight of their goal (of selling) in the beginning by being so picky, as if they just like to exercise their "power" of determining who to accept or not. It doesn't take them long, however, to realize that their foolishness doesn't bring any dough in, so they relax.

Newbie merchants have visions of the top affiliate sites beating a path to their door as soon as their new program announcement goes out. When that doesn't happen, they start to let more sites in.

As a merchant, I'd rather be listed on thousands of small and midsize sites than being listed exclusively on only a few big sites. Not that I would mind being the featured merchant on some of the top sites

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com
    It's not just underwear, it's fun to wear!

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread