ABW Ambassador
    I find myself in a position of having to change some file names and I wonder by doing so would it have any effect on my current google rankings. I inadvertently used Caps in some of my file names and I am in the process of starting to switch servers and the new server does not allow caps in the file names. If it will effect my rankings I will hold off changing them for now.
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Cazzie,

I've never seen anything to indicate that google is case sensitive in it's rankings. I do try and get a good keyword into the name of my html files; figure it can't hurt.

I'm assuming that the file names you have a question about are your pages. For example if your current file is named WIDGET.htm and you change it to widget.htm, I don't see how that would effect your ranking. Now if you changed WIDGET.htm to thingy.htm, that might. Not sure. But why mess with something that's not broken? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hope that's what you were asking also.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks BLFH
    The new server that I am going to use is case sensitive that is why I have to change the file names. The files do relate to my pages, and I am only changing a few of them to lower case.
    But as I said the new server has not been propagated yet, so that is where I saw a possible problem arising in the file name changes with my current server and google.
    I guess I will upload all the new files just to cover my bases as I had to change links on a 23 pages to reflect the new file names that way the new pages will work and hopefully the cached pages will work also. Am I confusing you? cause I do confuse myself;)
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

I think this depends on whether you are moving to a *nix or Windows server.

I think you'll find that WIDGET.html and widget.html are different files on a *nix server. So you could have both in the same dir - and if google has indexed and ranked WIDGET.html, I don't see why it would assume widget.html was the same page.

If your new server is running Windows, I think it will only allow one version of the file in a dir - WIDGETS.html or widgets.html, and will serve up that version regardless of the browser's capitalization. In that case, I think google wouldn't see a difference.

Are you Crazy?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    You only mildly confused me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I think I get where you are coming from now. You are worried about WIDGET.html being indexed in google and once the propogation is completed to the new server, if some clicks on that google return they will get a page not found because it is now widget.html. Is that right?

You could handle that by doing an htaccess redirect on the new server for all the files with caps in them to the files with the new name. I just did a check on one of my sites where I use the htaccess redirect for some old pages, and it doesn't seem that the actual file you are redirecting from necessarily has to be physically on your site.

No whether Google will give widget.html the same ranking as WIDGET.html once it indexes on the new server, I don't know. Who knows how Google figures those things out.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, htaccess would be the way to go to ensure that visitors reach the new pages rather than getting 404s. Google should rank the pages the same.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Also, what you could have done, or might consider doing if it's not too much more work... just change your links to the same case as the files that you are uploading.

Tom's server DOES support both upper and lower case, they just have to match the code in your pages [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cazzie I would take the Big.html pages and replace the conents with "This page has been moved please click here" and run dual for a while.

ah never mind!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Tim, I could have sworn that Tom's server said no Caps drats wish I had know that sooner.Oh well to late now. I already changed the links to the same case. Yes it is a little bit more work but at least it will be right when I get done!
    Duh! I swear I am not a California Blonde [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] No offense Californians
    Cazzie

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread