ABW Ambassador
    I wasn't sure if there was a specific forum for general questions, but since I use CJ the most, I figure it's ok to ask this here.

Here's my question. We only pay a monthly hosting fee each month (approx $15) for our sites. We have never done any sort of advertising. I am curious if people have done the pay for click and have found it to be successful. We really don't want to put money out there, since it's not guaranteed that we'll make money from it.

Has anyone gone from using nothing to ppc (adwords i think is what it is called) and noticed a significant difference in sales and money being made?

We are doing quite well with our sites, but hey, if we can make more, why not? And, at least the money spent would be tax deductible and we can always use that.

Thanks,
    Robin

Google adwords can quickly suck up your funds. That's been my experience.

I would concentract on 1) adding content to your site for the search engines, and 2) researching SEO

PPC is a drain on your resources, you can do better getting the free rankings in search engines. From looking at your site, you have lots of opportunities to create content and increase your visitors that way.

It's not easy anymore, but if you can get your PPC under 5 cents, then it's possible to turn a profit. But be prepared to run through some funds to figure that out.

Good Luck!

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

ABW Ambassador
    I like the free traffic sprinkled with a little PPC. I think SJohnson is just not very at targetting. Some people make great money doing nothing but PPC. Try some misspellings, and have your keywords as targetted as possible. JVC XV-F80 dvd changer better than dvd changer, Barefoot Coral Calcium better than vitamins, the more targetted the better. Free traffic is always the best and i like to top it off with some PPC and other forms of paid advertising.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the information. I'm not too interested in ppc, but I was curious if people get decent conversions from it. I am currently t 3$ and my hubby at 5$ with no ppc. At this time, it is probably not in our best interests.

We do a decent job targeting search words. I have a hard time targeting mispellings because I feel like it makes me look like an idiot when I purposely spell words wrong. For instance, stationary instead of stationery. (I am a former teacher and poor spelling vs typos is one of my pet peeves).

Your idea of targeting the specifcs TrustNo1 is a great idea. My hubby has found that to work well. It is now something we are trying on my site and it seems it is working with some items. Just 2 days after targeting something (it is more popular than we expected), I am #1 (out of 32000+). Now, if I can convert! I had 3 sales right away but nothing since Sun.

ABW Ambassador
    Free traffic is always best.

That said, I know a number of people making $10,000+ per month just with
    PPC.

As TrustNo1® said targeting is the key to success.
    Choose your best converting merchant and conduct your own test.
    Make sure that the merchant allows direct links to products.
    Don't start out bidding on core words like "widgets".
    Bid on "blue widgets" or "fuzzy blue widgets".

Target "fuzzy blue widgets" in your title and description and send the buyer
    directly to the "fuzzy blue widgets" page.

Which PPC to use will depend on the industry. adwords may be the best for
    some industries while overture can be better for others. In some industries
    both have substandard ROIs.

While it my be best to try to keep your bids at 5 or 10 cents, there are
    plenty of areas where higher bids will return huge profits. Try to double
    your money. I met a guy that bid 18 cents on one keyword and 10 cents for
    the misspell. He was making $6,000 per month NET. $6000 on just 2 words.
    The product has been discontinued

You just can't generalize on what will work or not work with PPC.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Do you tutor afterhours? "I have a hard time targeting mispellings because I feel like it makes me look like an idiot when I purposely spell words wrong. For instance, stationary instead of stationery. (I am a former teacher and poor spelling vs typos is one of my pet peeves)."

Me and Charlie ( My pet peave) need some help. Seems all our traffic comes from misspellings....or is thta Ms Spellings?

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    I choose my candidates carefully and tutor during business hours.

Mike Mackin

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I like to see an immediate bang traffic wise, so whenever I create a new site, I pull in PPC immediately. I might slack off after the listings start showing - but I might not.

Depends on the site!

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the info. It is useful. My husband explained to me that I can bid on mispelled words without having them appear on my site, so I guess that point is mute.

The question is whether or not is is worth it. If I am already #1 in google for an item, would that not be something worth bidding on? Am I better off picking something that I don't get a good listing for to do ppc so that I am giving myself a better listing?

Since we have never paid for any kind of traffic I am interested in seeing if it would make a big difference. Again, if we're already doing quite well, why put $ out there when we might not do any better? And, how can we determine how much the ppc is doing without creating a mirror page just for that purpose?

I would try adsense, but I got rejected and don't really know why. (maybe my site was too new). At least then I could get paid for clicks instead of paying for clicks.

And sorry Ecomcity, can't help ya on the tutoring, too busy with other stuff! It wasn't grammar I taught anyway, but math! (Hence, all the numbers questions!)

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread