ABW Ambassador
    I was just checking dmoz for some link exchanges and 5% of the sites listed don't even exist anymore. A lot of the different categories have a "this category needs an editor" message. Also most of the site don't even look that good (a lot of tripod, geocites type sites). I can't believe Google puts so much emphasis on dmoz.

ABW Ambassador
    I used to have a hard time getting listed in Google without a DMOZ entry, but that no longer seems to be a the case. Sites get picked up as soon as I add the first link from anyone of my other sites...sometimes sooner (scary).

I think DMOZ (also known as broken link city) has been on decline since Netscape was imbibed by the AOL megopoly. I think the Googlebot knows this.

Protophoto - Short Stories

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    lol, I applied five different times to be an editor. The last time, I said, "Look , if you're worried I'm just joining so i can enter my sites in here, just picj a random category for me, and I';ll help out."

They respectfully declined, intimating that, perhaps, I was just trying to help because I want my site listed.

They are almost - almost, I'm saying - as hard to work with as Overture. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

Hi
    Well its nice to have your site listed in DMOZ but I have also had problems with trying to get my site description changed since Dec 2001. I have even applied to be an editor but was told no thanks.

I have made numerous requests to have the description changed but nothing ever seems to happen. Others have tried to help but still not much joy at all.

regards John

John Dundas
    http://gph.org.uk
    johndundas@gph.org

A DMOZ listing certainly helps, and can boost your pagerank. It's not perfect though, but then Yahoo and Looksmart aren't either and actually cost you money.

A content site listed in DMOZ will certainly be a useful addition to a portfolio of sites because of the way pagerank is passed from site to site.

I'm still waiting for the perfect directory though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Меня зовут Динаму

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    So, when's Dynamoz going online? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ( I'm assuming Cow related sites=pagerank 10 )

Pagerank Item

1-3 Minerals
    4-6 Vegetables
    7-9 Animalia
    10 Dairy Cows

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

Any tips on becoming an editor..
    (I've got my eye on a vacant category, also have a ton of unique content to build 2 sites for the category)

lol i dont think dmoz is overrated, my personal experiences have been quite good. particulary where i submit my regional specific clients sites to hey, i even got a 5 day turnaround rate this past week from submission to indexing even pretty much keeping my description well and truly in tact [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] they must like me or something! ha!
    seriously get your main search term right at the beginning of your description then you can optimize for that main search term pretty well at Google and Yahoogle and watch the traffic role in!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

yahHayH!

ABW Ambassador
    I applied dmoz editor 15x in same category and its was declined ...after 16x was accepted [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img].
    what you need is template.just copy paste

and don't use yahoo for search site (usually dmoz editor pick all site in yahoo so it was saturated)

use looksmart or others

Dynamoz.. heheheheheh [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Acutally upcoming project #273 is udderwise.com - the cow portal, which will be a DMOZ derivative if I can ever get round to it.

Меня зовут Динаму

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread