I think I would rather have a root canal than enter keywords into my Google Adwords account.

I just spent 2 hours entering keywords that would have taken me 20 minutes on FindWhat, maybe 40 minutes on Overture... and I still can't figure out how much to bid to get the placement I want.

How do you figure out how much to bid to out place a competitive listing?

The interface is also soooo SLOW. If I had a 56k connection I think I would have hung myself by now.

Any tips on how to get the most out of Google Adwords would be so appreciated. I can't even begin to tell you how much!

Thanks,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

ABW Ambassador
    >How do you figure out how much to bid to out place a competitive listing?

They use a formula so you can't think of them as a "Market Driven" PPC at this time in the USA.

I can set up an account with 200+ KWs in 10 minutes. May get some editor feedback which I can then deal with in another 10 minutes.

Spoke to their rep in London on the 12th and they are working to make adwords better. His attitude was "what can we do to make it better".

PS: Overture did't ask me that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam Ward:

Spoke to their rep in London on the 12th and they are working to make adwords better. His attitude was "what can we do to make it better".

PS: Overture did't ask me that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Remove the adjustable minimum bids and let the market drive that value.

2) Stop removing bids that perform after 1,000 searches. It is near impossible to buy in on a popular term without going out in the first hour. Increase it to 10,000.

IamJaloppy

Build up an obnoxiously large negative keyword list to reduce the number of times your ad shows (when you don't want it to). This will help with your click through rate, and ultimately with your costs, since google factors your CTR into its pricing algorithm.

ABSOLUTELY do not set a maximum CPC that you are not willing to pay. Google is harder to control than Overture, and you may find your CPC rates moving up faster than you expect, depending on how competitive your niche is.

And lastly, while this is pretty much common sense, just watch your ROI closely, and modify your CPC maximums based on what works. Since every company and niche is different, you will have to determine what works best for you. Even within our niche, it really all depends on conversion rates. What works for us could crush one of our competitors, if they are not able to convert traffic as effectively.

Best of luck.
    Michael

Michael
    973-621-6211 x 5040
    michael(at)barenecessities.com

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread