More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    One thing I noticed about CJ compared to others is that the best converting merchants with highest EPC's are listed at the top of the list (and so are the most likely to be chosen by affiliates) where as in other programs the incentive to boast of high payouts is not there. I really don't think a merchant, like one of mine on another program, that had nearly 4000 click-thrus with no money paid out (that would be $0.00 EPC) would gain too many affiliates at CJ. The parasite issue sounds ugly and it is unfortunate that CJ doesn't take a honorable stand on this.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Does CJ create incentive for Merchant Honesty?

The CJ pitch to merchants has been "why should affiliates trust you"? To create a feel among affiliates that merchants are generally honest doesn't play along to that tune.

No, there has been no real incentive for merchants to be honest. The COC was a joke. The owners of CJ laughed all the way to the bank with millions of dollars.

CJ never had any desire to rid themselves of parasites, or to establish real ethical standards regarding how the average affiliate would be treated.

I hope this serves as a lesson well learned in the affiliate community.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    I hope this serves as a lesson well learned in the affiliate community.

Yeah--

Lesson Plan:

1. Ignore parasites
    2. Ignore complaining about parasites
    3. Someone will pay you $58 Million dollars for your company.
    4. Beat it and retire to a mansion in Bermuda!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

quote:
    Originally posted by Leader:
    3. Someone will pay you $58 Million dollars for your company.

$58MM?

Geez that's nothing short of chump change for an out fit like CJ! Nothing short of purely pathetic! Obviously CJ was strapped for cash (giving parasites too much of their chunk) and they bent over!

Lessons should be learned from this major league F'up, from affiliates and big business as well! If anyone strives for this hogwash malarkey then kiss your ... or better yet, go to safeway and w*rk!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Haiko:
    Obviously CJ was strapped for cash

That sounds like it. Especially when BF costs more to buy than CJ. The sellout was an act of desperation.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Yeah, the $58MM seemed cheap to me too, when I saw how much they had paid for BeFree!

I wondered just what made them so willing to bail...

Although I could I could also see them sitting on some beach and saying "oh well" as the waitress brings out the mint juleps.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

kiss your ... or better yet, go to safeway and w*rk!

Haiko. Hell no SAfeway is quite pethetic and I'm about to reach the same amount of $$$ a week as I did at Safeway! So not only that.. I'm changing the subject but It looks like I made the right move:

Safeway targeted for strike, rivals lock out workers: http://eastbay.bizjournals.com/eastb...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

About 70000 Workers Strike at Kroger , Albertsons , Safeway

http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,99891,00.html

the rest of the news: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&edition=us&q=safeway

Back to work!

Okay lets continue the topic as: Does CJ create incentive for Merchant Honesty?

cj must be strapped for $ if they accept $58 million, that's quite pethetic...

Jason
    xtremeshopping.org
    aim: ssn jason
    Xtreme's partnership information

"One thing life taught me: if you are interested, you never have to look for new interests. They come to you. When you are genuinely interested in one thing, it will always lead to something else" Eleanor Roosevelt

8. ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Although I could I could also see them sitting on some beach and saying "oh well" as the waitress brings out the mint juleps.

I pictured them hopping a freight train with Ted Turner and saying, "you know what Ted, you were right, success is an empty bag".

Or maybe that was Ted Kennedy and an empty bottle ...anyway

ABW Ambassador
    A scene from inside the boxcar:

http://users.snowcrest.net/bndlstif/bb6.jpg

Looks like Mike and Charlie was expecting company

quote:
    cj must be strapped for $ if they accept $58 million, that's quite pethetic...

Their merchant list seemed quite low, last I heard. MANY merchants were moving to places such as SAS or going in house. Many affiliates were choosing not to use CJ merchants where they used CJ merchants before.

All this in reaction to affiliate anger at them buddying up with parasites and our continued pressure on the subject.

Seems like the parasite income did not work for them. You know, I think we won this one since they had to sell out so cheap.

Now, we will see where BeFree tries to go with the parasites. I think we need to keep the pressure on and refuse to use any BeFree program partnered with parasites. We need to start gearing up for that fight now.

Keep the anti-parasite pressure on. Meanwhile, advise all your merchants to go in-house rather than join BeFree until we know which way the wind blows.

We must keep the CJ parasites from becoming more profitable at BeFree.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    "nothing short of chump change"

I was wondering why that was not the 1st comment to be posted here when the news broke.

ABW Ambassador
    "Idealab's interest in several of its operating companies has declined over
    time for various reasons."

Legacy Companies

Bill Gross and company have the VC 3 to 5 year investment horizon mentality.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    That shows you what you get when you low bid at Priceline Travel. Damn freight car got to CJU 2 days too late.

A scene from inside the boxcar:

http://users.snowcrest.net/bndlstif/bb6.jpg

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Merchant honesty and CJ: isn't this a conflict of terms?

Being able to see a merchant's EPC is better than nothing, but EPC doesn't really tell the story. If CJ really wanted to keep the merchants honest, they'd get rid of the "Other" reason for reversals, or make it mandatory that a Comments box is completed when using Other, which would explain the reason for the reversal.

CJ would also provide better statistics on product links, instead of hiding all of them behind "Product Catalog 1" which tells us nothing. We don't know what's being clicked on, what's selling, etc., only that it's one a the merchants thousands of products! Great info!

I also see the same merchants, month after month, with EPC's of 0.00, or something very low and I wonder why they stay at CJ if they aren't selling anything.

Why indeed...

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Well, if you asked me, I'd say that Valueclick paid too much for CJ .
    How much is a third party tracking service that can't track anymore worth these days ?

What's the 58 million for ? For a hell of a lot less than 58 million, they could have simply offered all of CJ's top advertisers an offer they couldn't refuse, and watch CJ die a very quick and painful death , then buy it ... for about 10 million .

And, I were Linkshare , I'd be taking this buyout somewhat with stride , and not "put on notice" , like Valueclick seems to think Linkshare should be .

Biggest is not necessarily best or most profitable , I think the OLD CJ proved that , hands down. Now it's Linkshare's turn to shine , and come out smelling like a rose !

While Valueclick is busy digging themself a six foot hole , now would be the perfet time for Linkshare to introduce consolidated payments .

Are you listening Linkshare ?

Introduce consolidated payments , save us , and save yourself .

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    To answer the question in the title of the thread, no I don't see anything particularly in place to CJ to necessarily promote Merchant honesty.

As far as the $58M, considering the rumors of a buyout for quite sometime, my gut feeling is that CJ may have very well needed the parasites in order to be able to get the price up to $58M vs no one wanting to touch them with a 10 foot pole. Considering some of the 'merchants' VC runs through their program, I don't think they would necessarily have a big problem with the parasites being top producers at CJ.

quote:
    Now, we will see where BeFree tries to go with the parasites

They currently are. So why would that change? There are currently parasites allowed to operate within BF as affiliates as BF has deemed them compliant via the COC. Remember the new BF merchant who was given the list of top affiliates to try and recruit and they inadverently CC'ed all instead of BCC'ing on the recruitment email? Parasite's were on that list, which means BF is promoting them to merchants.

Ultimately, it is VC who makes those decisions since they own BF, and possibly CJ in the future. We should be looking at the mindset of VC for those answers.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    OK I guess I stand corrected. Excuse me I am new at this. I have made money at CJ however (and actually got some checks in the bank) and I do like the EPC ratings. In fact, I have found my own EPC to be close to that reported in the money-making links anyway. I also like the real-time reporting and consolidated payments.

From the sounds of it, things used to be a lot better at CJ.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:

This is what they've been doing all along. On the pier though, not the beach

------------------------------

All your SERP's are now belong to us. Shall we sell for you? Or shall we sell for your competitor?

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread